Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist quotes

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I tried to find an old thread for this and there was one but it hadn't been touched since April 2016.

So here goes......

It's as if the Buddha had placed us at the beginning of the path; his job is now done.
Whether we walk along it or not is up to us.

Ajahn Chah

HozanZenshinBuddhadragonwojciechUkjunglistFriendlyfaceDavidShoshinbilljmherbertoGus123lobsterCraigJB

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Love it! Thanks @Traveller

ZenshinHozanTBRulh
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"What Would Buddha Do ?"

~A Buddhist thought~

Bunks
  • One of the most profound, simple and obvious practices (Also used in Freemasonry, though slightly differently) is to hear everything as a potential Buddhist quote or meaningful in some insightful way:

Everything becomes an expression of its nature. Even very trite sayings may have relevance for us ...

Bless Your Heart

Bunkswojciech
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

Looking for peace is like looking for a turtle with a mustache: You won’t be able to find it. But when your heart is ready, peace will come looking for you.

Ajahn Chah.

BunksKundoJeroenCraigJB
  • "When you're speaking with three people, make sure you see four."

• Gregory Corso, although he attributed it to someone he met in prison.
    ShoshinNirvana
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

"If you understand, things are just as they are.
    If you do not understand, things are just as they are"
    (Zen Proverb)

"I follow four dictates:
    face it, accept it,
    deal with, then let it go"
    (Sheng Yen)

"Do no harm,
    act for the good,
    purify your mind"
    (Dhammapada)

ShoshinBunksHozanZenshin
  • Fascinating
    Mr Spock

Do you know, I think Vulcans may be Buddhists. However ... that is for another thread ...

Remember quotes are popular because they retain wisdom across a range of situations, understandings, personalties and ideally realisations ...

It may be that a quote seems wrong, immoral or a path distraction ... mull ... if a koan, immerse ... when ready ... come back at leisure/ease ...

Maybe ...
    http://truecenterpublishing.com/zenstory/maybe.html

@lobster said:
    Fascinating
    Mr Spock

Do you know, I think Vulcans may be Buddhists. However ... that is for another thread ...

Remember quotes are popular because they retain wisdom across a range of situations, understandings, personalties and ideally realisations ...

It may be that a quote seems wrong, immoral or a path distraction ... mull ... if a koan, immerse ... when ready ... come back at leisure/ease ...

Maybe ...
    http://truecenterpublishing.com/zenstory/maybe.html

Yes maybe @lobster (.... for dinner tonight :wink::lol: )

lobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:
    "If you understand, things are just as they are.
    If you do not understand, things are just as they are"
    (Zen Proverb)

Love it! Thanks @DhammaDragon.

It’s so true. No matter our beliefs, opinions, attitudes etc, things are just as they are.

HozanZenshinBuddhadragon
  • techietechie India Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Good...bad...who knows?

Ajahn Brahm

Good ... bad ... ugly.

Clint Eastwood

ShoshinBuddhadragonKundo
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2017

@Shoshin said:
    "Where would there be leather enough to cover the entire world? With just the leather of my sandals, it is as if the whole world were covered. Likewise, I am unable to restrain external phenomena, but I shall restrain my own mind. What need is there to restrain anything else?"

~Shantideva~

"Whatever can be conceptualized is therefore relative, and whatever is relative is Sunya, empty. Since absolute inconceivable truth is also Sunya, Sunyata or the void is shared by both Samsara and Nirvana. Ultimately, Nirvana truly realized is Samsara properly understood."

~Nagarjuna~

I was looking for that Nagarjuna quote a while back, thanks.

Shoshin

You're welcome....

Seek and ye shall find

~ Matthew 7:7:~ (Christzen :winky: )

• @Shoshin said:
    "Enlightenment Is Absolute Cooperation With The Inevitable!"

~Chan~

• and knowing the inevitable is enlightenment, hi new member how's it hanging. your quote caught my eye as I was looking around, pleased to meet you

BunksShoshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited November 2017

SN35. 85. The Sunna Sutta

Empty Is the World

"Then the Venerable Ānanda approached the Blessed One … and said to him: “Venerable sir, it is said, ‘Empty is the world, empty is the world.’ In what way, venerable sir, is it said, ‘Empty is the world’?”

“It is, Ānanda, because it is empty of self and of what belongs to self that it is said, ‘Empty is the world.’ And what is empty of self and of what belongs to self? The eye, Ānanda, is empty of self and of what belongs to self. Forms are empty of self and of what belongs to self. Eye-consciousness is empty of self and of what belongs to self. Eye-contact is empty of self and of what belongs to self…. Whatever feeling arises with mind-contact as condition—whether pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant—that too is empty of self and of what belongs to self.

“It is, Ānanda, because it is empty of self and of what belongs to self that it is said, ‘Empty is the world.’”

https://suttacentral.net/en/sn35.85

lobsterJeroenGus123
    edited November 2017

From the Heart Sutra:

“Listen Sariputra,
    all phenomena bear the mark of Emptiness;
    their true nature is the nature of
    no Birth no Death,
    no Being no Non-being,
    no Defilement no Purity,
    no Increasing no Decreasing.

“That is why in Emptiness,
    Body, Feelings, Perceptions,
    Mental Formations and Consciousness
    are not separate self entities."

https://plumvillage.org/news/thich-nhat-hanh-new-heart-sutra-translation/

Gus123
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@mushin said:
    and knowing the inevitable is enlightenment, hi new member how's it hanging. your quote caught my eye as I was looking around, pleased to meet you

Hi. If you're from Hull, feel free to speak English. Not everyone here is American. * Ahem! * The Moderator herself, (That would be me!) is from the UK.... ;)

Welcome! :D

Bunks
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Matthew 16:25 (On Clinging)

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Nirvana said:
    Matthew 16:25 (On Clinging)

I'll see your Matthew 16:25, and top it with Matthew 6:25-34. ;)

Nirvana
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

“Everything is always changing. If you relax into this truth, that is Enlightenment. If you resist, this is samsara (suffering).”
    Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse, “What Makes You (Not) a Buddhist”

lobster

If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

Dogen

(I have oftentimes been guilty of mis-quoting by adding/substituting 'truth' with Peace, happiness, serenity....)

BunksDavid

Samsara Mind turned outward lost in its projection

Nirvana Mind turned inward recognising its true nature

A quote used by ~Sogyal Rinpoche~ but he is not the original quoter....

Buddhadragon
  • if it's in the illusion, one day you must experience it

I just posted this on another thread ...then thought 'Um it would also suit this thread too'.. :) so........

"Great Faith and Great Doubt are two ends of a spiritual walking stick. We grip one end with the grasp given to us by our Great Determination. We poke into the underbrush in the dark on our spiritual journey. This act is real spiritual practice -- gripping the Faith end and poking ahead with the Doubt end of the stick. If we have no Faith, we have no Doubt. If we have no Determination, we never pick up the stick in the first place."

~Sensei Sevan Ross~

Bunks
  • Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
    Redd Foxx
    http://www.viewonbuddhism.org/resources/funny_quotes.html

BunkssilverCraigJB

A lot of people die of 'nothing, @lobster; my father had heart problems, prostate problems, cancer of the bladder, a broken back and mild asthma. But he died, because he simply died. No one thing actually killed him. His system just stopped.
    His death certificate cited no contributing factors of complications.

But I was glad to be with him, nevertheless, when 'nothing' took his life away and Yama sat beside him.

Sorry to be a damp squib on your shot of humour; FWIW, it rather looks currently, as things stand, that I too, shall die of nothing. Moreso than he did, too. ;)

lobster

~Anonymous~ (Because I don't know who said it :) )

From Hakuin's Song of Meditation:

"When in reverence this truth is heard even once,
    He who praises it and gladly embraces it has merit without end
    How much more he who turns within
    And confirms directly his own nature,
    That his own nature is no-nature –
    Such has transcended vain words.
    The gate opens, and cause and effect are one;
    Straight runs the way – not two, not three.
    Taking as form the form of no-form,
    Going or returning, he is ever at home.
    Taking as thought the thought of no-thought.
    Singing and dancing, all is the voice of truth."

https://www.tlayt.org/hakuins-song-of-meditation/

lobster

"Sabbe dhamma anatta" ( there is no self in the created or the uncreated )

Shoshin

From the Bahiya Sutta:

"Herein, Bahiya, you should train yourself thus: 'In the seen will be merely what is seen; in the heard will be merely what is heard; in the sensed will be merely what is sensed; in the cognized will be merely what is cognized.' In this way you should train yourself, Bahiya.

"When, Bahiya, for you in the seen is merely what is seen... in the cognized is merely what is cognized, then, Bahiya, you will not be 'with that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'with that,' then, Bahiya, you will not be 'in that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'in that,' then, Bahiya, you will be neither here nor beyond nor in between the two. Just this is the end of suffering."

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/ud/ud.1.10.irel.html

• eleele Connecticut USA New

@Karasti, Which book of Thich Nhat Hanh's is this quote from?

When another person makes you suffer, it is because he suffers deeply within himself, and his suffering is spilling over. He does not need punishment; he needs help. That's the message he is sending. Thich Nhat Hanh

Thanks in advance.

NirvanaKotishka

"See for yourself" ( Ehipassiko )

~The Buddha~ (Thus have I been told)

BuddhadragonDavidpersonAlex