Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Daily Sutta Discussions:

2»

Comments

• CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

This is a good one sutta (the full verses) to reflect on. From my daily Dhamma talk, Chrodon mentions as she explains being comfortable with death, the things we do-the good things-befome imprinted on our mindstream. That stream and conscousness, our minds, dont die but are reborn. So the actions we do, its results, will carry on through our rebirths.

Ill find the Dhamma Talk soon if youre interested.

• paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

susinkly,habit and memory.what i get out of that verse ,whether mundain or supermudain.

stream-enty,cognitive stream?as they say,stream of consciousnes.is the key,present and aware?

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Um how many Daily Sutta threads per day are you going to post @Carlita ? I ask because when I log in I can only see them in my notifications, so one thread with multiple suttas would work better from a notification POV.

Thanks.

that verse,suggest simple object rather complex object definition?

Maybe a new section for these threads would work.......

to give is to cheer.

@dhammachick said:

How do you create a new section?

@dhammachick said:
    Um how many Daily Sutta threads per day are you going to post @Carlita ? I ask because when I log in I can only see them in my notifications, so one thread with multiple suttas would work better from a notification POV.

Thanks.

Over here the dates are November 11 and 12th.

edited November 2017

@Carlita said:

@dhammachick said:

Thanks.

Yeah I'm only in Australia, I get that thanks. I'm getting one on 11th November and three dated 12th November so far. So it's not just one a day is it?

Buddhadragon

@Carlita said:

@dhammachick said:

How do you create a new section?

Ask a moderator

Carlita
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@David said:
    I got to where a monk should abandon laughter before my eyes rolled in my head.

A monk isn't supposed to laugh?

Someone should tell Ajahn Brahm or HHDL that!

lobster

Yes, I prefer them separate too.....

Carlitaperson

It's an interesting one generosity.

So often I get caught thinking it's just from a material perspective however any time we sit and listen to someone, hold the door open for them, make dinner for our kids etc. we're being generous!

And there's often times when I don't take the opportunity to be generous and later regret it through embarrassment (as mentioned in the Sutta).

Buddhadragonlobster

@dhammachick said:

@Carlita said:

@dhammachick said:

Thanks.

Yeah I'm only in Australia, I get that thanks. I'm getting one on 11th November and three dated 12th November so far. So it's not just one a day is it?

Hmm. Maybe every other day? Hmm.

edited November 2017

@federica hey. If there's enough "votes" are you able to have a suttra section category? It will help condense sutta studies and people can post without being lost in other new threads.

@dhammachick said:

@Carlita said:

@dhammachick said:

Thanks.

Youre a 16 hour difference from me. Now wonder. (New York and Sedney)

• Just wondering....from a practical point of view...if there is going to be a daily sutta....a daily thread....soon NB is going to be full of just the sutta threads and people are going to have to scroll through pages to find other non sutta threads....this would make NB pages "saturated" with sutta threads and harder to find other threads. Please @Carlita take this in the right spirit as it is intended. It is a practical concern and in no way a criticism of the sutta thread idea itself. Those who know more about the logistics of how the NB pages and thread system work will be able to tell if indeed this is actually a concern at all. I am just putting it out there.

CarlitaBuddhadragonKundo
  • Hey @Carlita maybe in the interests of fairness what about a vote to see if members want that volume of sutta posts in the first place which can saturate the NB thread page and make it harder to find other threads. Have you thought about a weekly sutta? A week would give each sutta a proper time to be discussed and digested by all while also keeping the thread page open to other posts. Otherwise we have a thread "saturation" issue.

Carlita
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Moderator note:

Merged to one thread, for ease of following.

:)

@Hozan said:
    Just wondering....from a practical point of view...if there is going to be a daily sutta....a daily thread....soon NB is going to be full of just the sutta threads and people are going to have to scroll through pages to find other non sutta threads....this would make NB pages "saturated" with sutta threads and harder to find other threads. Please @Carlita take this in the right spirit as it is intended. It is a practical concern and in no way a criticism of the sutta thread idea itself. Those who know more about the logistics of how the NB pages and thread system work will be able to tell if indeed this is actually a concern at all. I am just putting it out there.

Yeah. It was suggested to ask for another category. Unless I do it once a week, I can see it building up. Im at a toss to do it all on one thread.

@Hozan said:
    Hey @Carlita maybe in the interests of fairness what about a vote to see if members want that volume of sutta posts in the first place which can saturate the NB thread page and make it harder to find other threads. Have you thought about a weekly sutta? A week would give each sutta a proper time to be discussed and digested by all while also keeping the thread page open to other posts. Otherwise we have a thread "saturation" issue.

Reading my mind.

If you guys have ideas on how to separate posts on one threadx we can do that. Its easier having a separate category because other people can create sutra threads with their own ideas. Also, the separate thread for sutta study would personalize a good study of application. It also makes the threads easier to find if a new member wants to reply to one sutta but dont to shift through one thread to find it.

I can do once a week if Im allowed. It would be more of a flow with the category idea though.

I guess I'll post pone until there is a unnanemous decision and discussion.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I received some PMs asking for combine.
    @Carlita, if you begin a new sutta discussion, prefix the Sutta title with a hash, then immediately type the title, then return to a new line.
    this is the effect it will have -

sutta title here

return - new line.
    That way, the suttas all remain tidily in one thread.
    However, creating a new Sutta section would be up to Admin. I can't do that.
    It's something I shall propose, and get back to all of you on....

Enjoy!! :)

HozanCarlita
  • Nice work @federica !

new line (testing) havnt uzed has before

Nice

federicaHozanBunks

cool going @Carlita!!

Hozan
    edited November 2017

Ima do once a week so we have time to discuss. Feel free to post other suttas, ideas, etc. No strict structure of dicussion. That and it solves the issue with time zone problems. Good idea?

BuddhadragonHozan
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@dhammachick said:

@Carlita said:

@dhammachick said:

Thanks.

Sorry, but yes, I also have the impression that we are going on the fourth daily sutta in two days.
    It feels a bit too much in my opinion, but I abide by what everone decides.

One of my friends in FB posts one sutta a day, and while everyone responded well at first, it ended up being overwhelming and feedback dwindled.
    Especially since there is so much food for thought to be derived from each sutta.
    Rather one every other day or once a week, than a cursory rushing heedlessly through the pitakas.
    My two cents?

HozanCarlitaperson

@DhammaDragon said:

@dhammachick said:

@Carlita said:

@dhammachick said:

Thanks.

Sorry, but yes, I also have the impression that we are going on the fourth daily sutta in two days.
    It feels a bit too much in my opinion, but I abide by what everone decides.

One of my friends in FB posts one sutta a day, and while everyone responded well at first, it ended up being overwhelming and feedback dwindled.
    Especially since there is so much food for thought to be derived from each sutta.
    Rather one every other day or once a week, than a cursory rushing heedlessly through the pitakas.
    My two cents?

I put my alarm so I wont forget. O.o@federica1 Once a week wont fill up the board if I made individual threads? (Thinking of newbies wanting to join the discussions)

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited November 2017

I quite liked having separate threads so that we can keep the discussions around each sutta separate and focused. I think with a single thread the discussions will start to overlap, and the whole will lose clarity.

Perhaps as @carlita suggested having a weekly sutta is the answer.

On the actual sutta’s, I just read the one on generosity, it was interesting, the fruits of generosity. If there have to be fruits, then one is approaching generosity almost as a trade, the thought is there, what do I gain for my generosity?

I find generosity the most beautiful when it comes straight from the heart, without thought of reward. But to be a master of giving one needs to be somewhat thoughtful, and try to give the things that will make a difference in the other person’s life, or those things he will appreciate.

person
  • As we all know generosity is a virtue. Laughter is a form of giving unless it belittles, or otherwise harms others. So we might say an ideal state for sangha is general cheerfulness, which lifts the spirit of others.

and ...

Tsung-mi said, “Awakening from delusion is sudden; transforming an ordinary man into a saint is gradual”. This school held that it took time and dedication, years, to cultivate the discipline and virtue of a Buddha, i.e. for an ordinary person’s psychological development to catch up with the Enlightenment experience.

”..the enlightenment experience indeed offers a true view of one’ self-nature, but without exhausting selfishness. Some delusions, such as existential bewilderment, may be overcome by a deep experience. Other more deep-seated delusion such as craving, hatred and conceitedness can only be overcome by making ‘that which we have seen a living experience and molding our life accordingly.’”

Sounds like a plan to me ...

@Kerome said:
    On the actual sutta’s, I just read the one on generosity...

Actually no, @Kerome.
    The latest sutta is...

@Carlita said:

Daily Sutta: Piyavagga: Dear Ones (DhpA)

In just the same way,
    when you've done good
    & gone from this world
    to the world beyond,
    your good deeds receive you —
    as kin, someone dear
    come home.

-Piyavagga: Dear Ones

As already stated in A.N. 5.57:

"'I am the owner of my actions (kamma), heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir'"

We make choices, then our choices make us.

Carlita
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@DhammaDragon you have neatly illustrated my point as to why separate threads are good, thank you. In a single thread, it’s hard to keep people from catching up with comments on the previous sutta’s, which will inevitably happen when people find among several sutta’s that one that speaks to them.

Carlita

^^^ ... and probably why it would be better to change the posting to weekly...

CarlitaHozan

Or we can combine the worst of both worlds and have weekly threads for daily sutta’s. B)

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited November 2017

@Kerome said:
    So what then about “ehi passiko”, or the Kalamata Sutta?

You mean the Kalama Sutta, The Buddha's Charter of Free Inquiry? Even that says you should be guided by what is agreed to by the wise.

"Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them."

It's not just your own inquiry that should be relied on. Ehipassiko doesn't mean you invent your own path.

In order to "never again be destined for states of woe" one must have impeccable virtue.

That sounds like an impossible bar to meet...

It's not a "bar to meet". It's a natural consequence of reaching this particular level of enlightenment as well as a function of karma. If you stop making bad karma, then you will not go to a state whose cause is making bad karma.

and to define impeccable virtue as adherence to the Buddha, the Dhamma and the Sangha seems just plain incorrect

Impeccable virtue is not what's being defined here nor is the sutta defining it that way. The qualities of a stream entrant are being defined. Such people no longer act immorally or unethically. And if they have reached a level of enlightenment, then that makes perfect sense. Enlightened people don't go around acting immorally or unethically.

@Kerome said:
    Or we can combine the worst of both worlds and have weekly threads for daily sutta’s. B)

Ha. The irony of a weekly daily sutta. Gotta figure a new name. :p

Hozan
  • My head is already fried from the logistics. ???

CarlitaBuddhadragon

@Kerome said:
    @DhammaDragon you have neatly illustrated my point as to why separate threads are good, thank you. In a single thread, it’s hard to keep people from catching up with comments on the previous sutta’s, which will inevitably happen when people find among several sutta’s that one that speaks to them.

Or perhaps do an email study group thingy? Then all your threads are kept together, you can answer at your own pace and then EVERYONE'S happy?

(Again with the errant apostrophe...! :lol: )

Well. After looking through each persons ideas, we will have a weekly sutta Sundays EST. It will be separate threads since by the weekends they wont pile up. This will help newbies as well as the rest find the sutta that calls to us faster. We can discuss at our own pace without loosing our points in one thread. Also, gives me time to read longer suttas with better excerpts and questions to start.

Thanks guys for the support on this idea!

Click the star to bookmark your discussions for easy access.

Cheerios!

person