Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A new sole meets the illusion

imagine you was in heaven and you had just given birth, you want to protect your new born, but you also know you have a responsibility to give your child the best start in life. Because of your culture and from personal experiences you know that place is to be introduced to the illusion, you don't want your baby to feel any discomfort. The form they take must be simple not too complex with very little interaction, where would you place your child. Just because it's not yet written doesn't mean it's an untruth, so if your thinking outside the box put your ideas down there's no fools in Buddhism heck us humans once believed the earth was flat.

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Could you rephrase the statement/question above? I'm lost.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I think I can dig what you're asking but I have to be loose with the imagination as the question is outside of my scope.

It would depend on what kind of lessons they need to still learn but I would put the new child somewhere the suffering around it isn't too great and where it has the chance to find the dharma.

Am I limited to this planet?

Buddhadragon
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I tend to believe that "we" make the choices of what lessons we need to learn (yes I know this isn't necessarily in line with Buddhism) before we are born so I struggle to assume as a parent I would know exactly what this new being needs or wants. I parent my 3 children the same way, based on their needs rather than my own wishes. People, even children, have their own paths, for us to think we know which path they should be on is a bit presumptuous, IMO.

Also, Buddha warned us to stay away from fools on our spiritual paths, so they do exist ;)
    In the Dhammapada, something about it being better to walk your path alone than to be in the company of fools.

Jeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

If this was heaven and I’d given birth (am I a divine female then? Gosh) then presumably the baby would also be in heaven? So that would be a pretty good start for the baby, a rebirth in the heavenly realms. According to Buddhism that means we must both have done pretty well in past lives... I’d probably place it in a heavenly stroller and go looking for an auspicious place to celebrate in.

• @mushin, what's the illusion?

Shoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

and what's the 'sole'?

I think, if I may say so, we need to differentiate between sole (a) a fish or (b) the baseplate of a shoe and soul = an alleged ephemeral duplicate of ourselves which is a construct of theistic religions and supposedly ends up residing in either heaven or Hell.

And, at mushin, I am still awaiting a reply, via pm, to a message I sent you?
    Many thanks! ;)

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Snakeskin said:
    @mushin, what's the illusion?

Magic Mushroom....?

HozanBuddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

We cannot spare any sentient being suffering.
    We may want to give our children the best start in life, but sparing them from suffering would make them miss valuable lessons for their personal growth.
    And it is through the gateway of dukkha that we attain the heaven of nirvana.
    And Nirvana is a state of mind, not some hypothetical place where we could ever dream of giving birth to our tiny bundle of aggregates... <3

lobsterBunksHozanDavid
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

My brain hurts......

Buddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Bunks said:
    My brain hurts......

Mine too, but I found some guiding light through the fog... ;)
    Or did I..?

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:

@Bunks said:
    My brain hurts......

Mine too, but I found some guiding light through the fog... ;)
    Or did I..?

It sounds about right.

Buddhadragon
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

@mushin said:
    imagine you was in heaven and you had just given birth, you want to protect your new born, but you also know you have a responsibility to give your child the best start in life. Because of your culture and from personal experiences you know that place is to be introduced to the illusion, you don't want your baby to feel any discomfort. The form they take must be simple not too complex with very little interaction, where would you place your child. Just because it's not yet written doesn't mean it's an untruth, so if your thinking outside the box put your ideas down there's no fools in Buddhism heck us humans once believed the earth was flat.

is there a third option between heaven and hell--home ,the middle way.they say home is where the heart is.is thinking inside the box?i dont know about heaven or hell.not really tempted to imagine heaven or hell --in quotation mark--place.because the day maybe beutiful,but the mind be stressing.the inner brain world doesnt correspond to the outerworld.speaking from ex-pirience.good thing its fleeting .because when the inner brain world is relax it is capable of recieving heaven from the outside world such as a sunny day.both experience,been there done that.i bet we all have.

Bunks
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited November 2017

Well, we're already here in this hellacious heaven, this beautiful catastrophe without any control over an-y-thing in or out of the proverbial box. Our children pass through us and will rise and fall, no matter the start - so my child would land smack dab in the middle of samsara because, hey, "That's life!". With 84000 Dharma gates to stumble through and the internet the chances of finding the Dharma should be very favorable. And Anatta thing, aside from meuniere with capers I have no illusions about sole.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2017

(I think it's probably the most un-Buddhist question I have seen on a Buddhist forum for a while, tbh....)
    Not all Humans believed the world to be flat.
    Some didn't bother themselves with its shape at all.

And the Greeks knew it was round, over 2000 years ago.

So that's that little snippet blown out the water....

Oh, sod it.

Thanks for all efforts, everyone. Herculean to the last.

This discussion has been closed.