Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@DhammaDragon said, "She was a bit jealous at having to share me...
    Typical Taurus... =)

Hmm - so that's what happened to my marriage... :confused:

Buddhadragon
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Happy Birthday @DhammaDragon from downunder ...

:)

BuddhadragonHozan
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Happy birthday @DhammaDragon! Have a wonderful day! <3

BuddhadragonHozan
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hooray @DhammaDragon! Happy birthday....

BuddhadragonHozan
  • <3 Have fun @DhammaDragon <3

This is life. Then it's not.
    Everything in moderation, even moderation ... Happy Birthday ?

Viva health cake! <3

BuddhadragonHozan

Question - is that your actual cake? =)=)=)=)=)

edited November 2017

A project started by the local island council, giving away free fruit trees for locals to plant on the frontage of their properties, so children can pick fruit to and from school, has started to bear fruit ... :) It won't happen over night but it will happen....

lobsterBuddhadragonBunkssilver
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Question - is that your actual cake? =)=)=)=)=)

I wish it were, @Bunks!!
    But no, just my dream cake.... ;)

Thank you, @silver, @Shoshin, @federica, @Bunks, @lobster...
    Moderation moi, @lobster???
    Never.
    Least of all on my birthday...
    ???❤️

BunksHozanlobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I should think not!!! :lol:

BuddhadragonHozan
    edited November 2017

I have a large crassula on my window-sill, but I've had a lot of these over the years. Usually propagated from others I've had. I've given so many away, I've lost count of how many I have had, or how old they are, but this one is a nice size, and doing well.
    I have just noticed, today, that there is a small cluster of flowers on it. Just the one.
    But in all the time I have owned a Crassula, I have never before actually had one flower for me.
    Frankly, I'm amazed....

(ETA: Don't know why the photo os so 'blue'. I have a crappy camera on my phone.... :angry: )

BunksHozanlobsterBuddhadragon
  • Happy Birthday @DhammaDragon Have a great day. Love and Metta to you. ???

Buddhadragon

Thank you, dear @Hozan <3
    Much love and metta to you too

I have had lots of crassula, Fede.
    It's a very auspicious plant in Feng Shui.
    Unfortunately, I lack a green hand and they do not live long in my home...

Hozan
  • Unfortunately, I lack a green hand and they do not live long in my home...

They are succulents, needing the water requirements of cacti (desert conditions almost). If they were your children, they would survive ... extremes of cold or heat will cause them to lose foliage and die ...

(ETA: Don't know why the photo os so 'blue'. I have a crappy camera on my phone.... :angry: )

The sensors don't last for ever. You can filter the image to add red, 'glow' or other compensatory colouring ...

Fruit tree planting, food/scrumping for feral kids. Cherry trees and crab apples is the nearest our council can offer. Good plan @Shoshin

Shoshin

Today I came across this...

Eco-friendly laundry liquid in a "CARDBOARD" bottle...Somebody had donated it- (at work we run the foodbank for the local community)

I thought "Well that's different...not something one sees everyday" :)

Bunks

@Shoshin, that's mesmerisingly admirable.
    I'm currently watching Blue Planet II on the Good ol' BBC, fronted by none other than God's Left-hand man, Sir David Attenborough.

Let's hope this eco-friendly product isn't a case of 'too little too late'....

I find cactii easier to look after than succulents, @lobster...
    Cactii don't die on me, while succulents do.
    There has to be a difference somewhere...

Phrases which are like nails on a blackboard to me:

• I'll tell you for why (why 'for' - !!?)
      I should/could of (It's 'have')
      "I hear what you're saying, but..." (usually means 'and I'm totally disregarding it'...)

Pre-book/pre-order. You can't. Right now, you are in pre-mode. You can book ahead of the required event, and you can place an order before publication - but you can't 'pre'. You're already 'pre'. Anything you haven't done yet, is already 'pre'.

FInally, "You could have heard a pin drop."

Nope.

"You could have heard a pin land." The 'drop' is soundless.

Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited November 2017

Anyone seen the new Lions Roar lead article with a vaguely amusing tagline?

https://www.lionsroar.com/i-cant-believe-its-not-buddha/

silver

Summer is finally arriving down south. A lovely 31c today! I'll be able to admire it through the window of my air conditioned office.

HozanShoshin

We're still waiting :)

Bunks
  • HozanHozan Veteran
    edited November 2017

@Bunks said:
    Summer is finally arriving down south. A lovely 31c today! I'll be able to admire it through the window of my air conditioned office.

What a difference a hemisphere makes. Like Game of Thrones, Winter is Coming here......but global warming still has it milder than it has been

Bunks

We are still having typical Spring weather ...Warm and sunny one day, cold and rainy/overcast the next...Or it's a bit of everything ie, four seasons in one day :)

@Shoshin said:
    We are still having typical Spring weather ...Warm and sunny one day, cold and rainy/overcast the next...Or it's a bit of everything ie, four seasons in one day :)

Ha! That sounds like Spring, Summer and Autumn in Melbourne!!

HozanShoshin

Australia has just voted "Yes" in a non-binding plebiscite by a margin of 62-38 to same sex marriage!

Good news.....as someone said to me "we have evolved slightly as a country this morning".

Now it's up to our pollies to do the right thing and get this legalised.

ShoshinBuddhadragonlobster

Welcome to the 21st Century Australia :)

Bunkslobster

Argentina has had same-sex marriage for ages.
    Actually, we were among the first countries to have it.
    Pretty hip for a third-world country <3

lobster

@Bunks said:
    Australia has just voted "Yes" in a non-binding plebiscite by a margin of 62-38 to same sex marriage!

Good news.....as someone said to me "we have evolved slightly as a country this morning".

Now it's up to our pollies to do the right thing and get this legalised.

And here's me thinking you still go around with a bone through your nose dragging your knuckles in the dirt. @Bunks...

lobster

Ha ha! Na, we dropped the bone a while ago @federica.

In fact, I was a little surprised at how strong the Yes vote for same sex marriage was in some of the outback, rural areas. Even Queensland ( the Home of Pauline Hanson) voted Yes!

Basically the only constituencies that had a majority No vote were urban areas with a high instance of Muslim and Asian immigrants. They still have a little way to go on these things!

Sydney's LGBTQI Mardi Gras is one of the biggest event of its kind in the world...

Bunkslobster

Christian couple plan to divorce if same sex marriage is legalised in Oz ...
    This would mean (according to Christianity) they would be living in sin....Oh well whatever floats their ark ... I guess :)

I feel sorry for them @Shoshin - they obviously believe strongly in what they're doing.

The amount of hate they've copped on social media is a little over the top IMO.......

Shoshin
  • Here's an owl sitting in a tree.

silverShoshinBuddhadragon

A wise old owl lived in an oak,
    The more he saw the less he spoke;
    The less he spoke the more he heard -
    Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?!

wojciechlobsterHozan

@Bunks I have only seen the article I posted....So I haven't read any backlash stuff...However...

The couple (be it through their own ignorance and somewhat bigoted nature) chose to 'martyr' themselves in a very public way... "Publicity stunt" ... They made their bed...Nobody forced them to publicly announce to Australia their plans...

"Whatever a man sows, that he will also reap."

My sympathies lie more so with the many young LGBTQI people struggling to come to terms with who they are and the gauntlet of ridicule, verbal & physical abuse many have to run on a daily bases...not to mention the high rate of suicides amongst them...

The Christian couple had a choice......Most LGBTQI people don't have this luxury..

lobster

It is after all, a token gesture. It clearly states the couple intend to carry on with their lives together as normal, and as the supposedly-supportive lawyer states, Divorce is enshrined in law as requiring certain fixed grounds for it.
    So it's by no means anything other than an extreme form of "I want my ball back".

I'm afraid that while I have some sympathy for their rationale ( as in, respecting their religious views and beliefs, and understanding that no matter how much we might disagree with them, they are products of their upbringing, subject to all the influences they have come under....) they are making themselves look frankly ridiculous

Shoshinlobster

I just witnessed one of the most amazing sunsets I've seen in a long time...The colours were spectacular....

Hozan

Clean air. Wonderful. It is a fallacy that pollution gives us wonderful sunsets. But where you are, I would expect clean air!

Yes clean air...but I'm afraid NZ doesn't always live up to its clean-green image :)

Bunks

In the past couple of months or so, I have approved membership applications for 49 new members.
    Of those, 5 have put in an appearance, 2 of which have been now banned.
    In addition to the above applicants, I have fielded over 50 "applications" by spam-bots.

Please don't anyone think I'm sitting idly by and doing precious little. ;)

Bunks

Well it's that time of year again (time to air out my swimsuit AKA birthday suit...)

I went for my first Spring season's skinny dip...

I made my way down the track, stopping to smell the wild flowers along the way...

And was greeted by a Reef Heron as I stepped onto the sand...(It had been squatting in my usual spot)

And the water was surprisingly warm...

lobsterHozansilver

skinny-dipping....

On a 'need-to-know' basis...... :lol:

Wild sweet pea.

The flowers.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Love those beautiful bright pink flowers!

This totally messed with my brain...

If anyone can explain 10^-8, I'd be grateful.
    Remember: small words, few syllables, idiot proof.
    Thanks.

It must mean "10 to 8" metres away, Fede.
    The idea is that you are coming closer to the person, therefore the countdown.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I believe its actually “10 to the power of minus 8” which is the same as 1 divided by 10 raised to the 8th power, so in the context of the sentence they mean a really small distance.

Hozan

In other words "Almost touching ...but not quite" :)

lobster
  • Tee Hee. It get's weirder.
    Most of you is most probably present. However ... there is a slight probability for some particles/wave forms that make us physical beings to be elsewhere. Which means bits of you could be almost anywhere ... Ay caramba!

It is counter intuitive, might make you Lady Ga-Ga BUT it is worth persevering with. The world is strange.

Bunks