Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Uposatha Day Observance

2»

Comments

• CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

@Bunks said:

@Carlita said:
    Its encouraged for lay buddhist to try to take the eight precepts on full and new moon. Its almost new moon tommorrow sat North Hem. EST.

Im wondering if you guys celebrate the uposatha? How did it go or are you doing it today?

Ima limit my internet use only to this site.

Cheerios!

I have started to do this @Carlita. I'll be taking the eight precepts here today (Saturday).

I'm planning on taking my two little ones up to the Monastery for the Dana meal offering this morning.

They haven't been before.

There are heaps of kangaroos and other wildlife so lots to see.

Let us know how you go. I have found it a good way to kick start my practice again (I really need it right now - struggling!)

Cool. Thought it was deleted. Gosh. If I go to the monastary it wouls take all day plus $200 since I cant drive. One day I'll slurg and stay the weekend since they open to visiters on non retreat periods.

I'll keep yall updated throughout the day and tomorrow morning before it waxes.

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Good luck! Perfectly fine for you to eat after midday.
    At Ajahn Brahms monasteries the lay people on the eight precepts are allowed certain "allowables" at 6pm each day including licorice, cheese, ginger and dark chocolate.
    But you eat what you need to eat.

Carlita
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Moderator Note:

It should never be the case that any post is deleted when threads are merged. It's never happened yet, to my knowledge.... Remember that by merging threads, posts are placed in chronological order. So keep scanning through. :)

Bunks
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I have found that for myself, whether 5 precepts or 8 or however many, that I can tell when I have violated promises I made to myself. That is the only way I look at them, and I consider why I make those promises to myself. I'm not trying to determine what anyone else thinks they mean and live up to those standards, I am trying to live up to my own standards. If I feel "icky" about any of them or have to question whether I broke them or not, then I probably did. If I have to think I might maybe be doing the wrong thing, then I probably am, from my own viewpoint and promises. Of course, knowing your true, deep intention is different than what we want to believe on a more surface/ego level, too, so we have to be careful to note where those intentions are arising from.

I don't need Buddha to tell me if I have violated a sexual precept, for example. I know when I have, because of how it makes me feel about what I've done, regardless of what the exact precept says.

I've thought about this a lot with all of this outing of potential or alleged sexual misconduct in the US right now. Is everything that ever happens truly misconduct? Probably not, but it depends entire on the intentions and the perspectives of the people involved. To me, if the person you did something to feels violated, then you violated them, end of story, and you need to do something about your behaviors even if you didn't intend to make them feel that way.

I bought vegetarian foods and no meats. Reecses Pieces.

I missed my meditation this morning but I feel I'll have a good full one this evening.

Bunks

It's still new moon so I'm still on the go. Working on our first weekly suttas.....

Bunks

I completely fell off the wagon I’m afraid. I was on track until about 7pm then I started drinking beer, eating pizza and watching sport!

I am really struggling right now. Before you have kids no one tells you how f’n boring it is! Especially as a single parent.

Maybe I’m just making excuses.....

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

you think....? ;)

BunksKundoHozan
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    I completely fell off the wagon I’m afraid. I was on track until about 7pm then I started drinking beer, eating pizza and watching sport!

I am really struggling right now. Before you have kids no one tells you how f’n boring it is! Especially as a single parent.

Maybe I’m just making excuses.....

Yep been there. It gets better ??

Thanks @dhammachick - I hope so.

• @Bunks you are one of the good guys. We are all only human. The wonderful thing is that each new moment, each new breath, is a new beginning.

Shoshin

Thanks @Hozan! - I know it will pass.

May you be well :)

federicaHozan
  • May you be well. May you be happy

Bunks
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@Bunks if you can't beat em, join em. I found the boring parts of being a parent much more acceptable when I stopped adulting so much and remembered how to play more and to see the world as a place of wonder instead of soul-sucking responsibility, lol.

I fall off the wagon all the time with things I commit to. Even things that are super important to me that I totally love and having in my life (like yoga). It happens. The part that sucks for me is when I realize I've made a choice I'll regret, and I don't stop there. I carry on the rest of the night, figuring "Hey, I'll regret this tomorrow but screw it, I already eff'd up the day..." and then I kick myself later. Yet most often when that "ugh, what are you doing, you might have messed up by eating half a box of candy but you can stop now, put the rest away" voice comes up next time, I rarely learn my lesson! One of my life mysteries I am still trying to figure out!

BunkslobsterKundo
  • For those unfamiliar with this practice, I am observing the eight precepts below:

I undertake the training rule to avoid all killing
    I undertake the training rule to avoid all stealing
    I undertake the training rule to avoid all sexual activity
    I undertake the training rule to avoid all dishonesty
    I undertake the training rule to avoid all alcohol and drugs
    I undertake the training rule to avoid eating after midday
    I undertake the training rule to avoid beautification (non-perfumed deodorant for me) and entertainment (limiting myself to dhamma books, videos and dhamma posts on newbuddhist.com)
    I undertake the training rule to avoid lying on high or luxurious beds (I'll sleep on a thin mattress on the lounge room floor)

Lobster version for us failures and would be Buddhists:

• I undertake the training rule to avoid all killing, when at the undertakers
    • I undertake the training rule to avoid most stealing, unless no one is harmed or watching
    • I undertake the training rule to avoid all sexual activity, unless suitably aroused
    • I undertake the training rule to avoid all dishonesty about my training success
    • I undertake the training rule to avoid all alcohol and drugs at AA meetings or police stations
    • I undertake the training rule to avoid eating after midday, when food is unavailable
    • I undertake the training rule to avoid beautification of Buddha dolls
    • I undertake the training rule to avoid lying on high or luxurious beds ... oops failed on that one, 8 out of 9 ain't bad B)o:)

Another fine day of rule breaking dhrama :open_mouth:

Must try harder.
    OM MANI PEME HUM ANITY

BunksHozanBuddhadragonCarlita

I fell of the horse. Had to eat. :(

@Carlita said:

Join the club mate.

Don't sweat it. The intention was there.

I find it difficult when not in a conducive environment. Any chance you can stay at a Monastery? I understand you're a fair way away from one.

edited November 2017

@Bunks said:

@Carlita said:

Join the club mate.

Don't sweat it. The intention was there.

I find it difficult when not in a conducive environment. Any chance you can stay at a Monastery? I understand you're a fair way away from one.

Ima save up and pay the 200 to go on the retreat in the spring. I was going this thanksgiving through carpool (still waiting for people contact me) but was called in to work. Actually its the same monastary the ordained monk went to couple months ago. Cant remember the name of the thread. The other monastaries, no one speaks english and no translator unless there is a huge ceremony with guests.

Once I go to the monastary in WV once I have an idea if I can gonon personal retreats without breaking my bank account

lobsterBunksHozan

Today is the full moon Uposatha day (Vesak full moon Poya Day in Sri Lanka).

As usual, I’ll be undertaking the eight precepts as described earlier in the thread.

Take care! ????

BuddhadragonShoshinlobsterGhostDog
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Bunks ...It's great that you are making this commitment and putting these into practice....Practice makes perfect ...I think it would be beneficial if we all put them into practice...(Well at least the basic five)

At the Dharma talk I attended last Sunday His Eminence Khenchen Rinpoche made a comment about taking the precepts...

He said something along the lines of 'the precepts are proven guides to help the practitioner lead a wholesome life, a practice that will eventually free one from suffering, and most if not all of us want to be free from suffering, yet we put off taking the very thing that can alleviate suffering'...

In other words when it comes to suffering we are in a sense masochists, the tools to end suffering are right at our 'mental' finger tips, yet we 'choose' to ignore them, and then complain about how tough our lives are when the crap hits the fan.... :)

Why put off until tomorrow what can be done today
    With just a little effort, suffering will go away!

lobsterBuddhadragonGhostDog
  • Bravo @Bunks Bravo <3

Peace and calmness. Sounds like the right stuff ... B)

Bunks

About to tuck into my evening allowables......

GhostDogJason
  • Oz Dharma Nouvelle cuisine ... Tuna, cheese and liquorice? Yab-Yum!

I had water and Mantras to an Elephant for breakfast and cheesy wotsits and porridge with apples and cinnamon for brunchies ...

Bunks

Nice @lobster - the tuna is actually pickled ginger ??

lobster

Blimey, I thought MY tastes were odd - ! :D

GhostDogBunks
    edited April 2018

This is the standard food we eat at 6pm at the Monastery I attend @federica - it is an odd combo but I've actually found pickled ginger goes surprisingly well with cheese!!

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2018

@Bunks said:
    This is the standard food we eat at 6pm at the Monastery I attend @federica - it is an odd combo but I've actually found pickled ginger goes surprisingly well with cheese!!

Fancy. When I used to live at a monastery, we'd sometimes have melted cheese with syrup and Thai chili peppers as an evening snack.

Bunks

@Bunks said:

My husband states I have bizarre tastes, because of the different foods I prepare, including dishes such as Tibetan Laping (aka lapping, or laphing) ... so I'd fit right in - ! :lol:

(the 'fried batter' he refers to in the video, is actually the gluten component of the laping dough, which is separated from the flour starch - the process is laborious! The gluten dough is then mixed with yeast, left to stand, then steamed to form a weird gluten cake. It's then sliced and added to the noodles as a topping. It's rather like eating mashed potato with crispy deep-fried potato skins on top; the same stuff, but separated and cooked in 2 different ways!)

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Bunks said:

I would say ginger, as well as anything hot and pungent, marries well with cheese.
    I love to eat cheese lathered in a spicy Italian Fig mustard and the combo is heavenly.

That said, congratulations on your discipline and dedication, @Bunks.

lobsterHozanBunks
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Well done @Bunks . Very inspiring for us all. Something I will try in the future.

BunksBuddhadragon

@Buddhadragon said:

@Bunks said:

I would say ginger, as well as anything hot and pungent, marries well with cheese.
    I love to eat cheese lathered in a spicy Italian Fig mustard and the combo is heavenly.

That said, congratulations on your discipline and dedication, @Bunks.

(I have made spicy fig mustard in the past - it may be time to revive the habit - !)

BunksBuddhadragon
  • My mistake.

I meant smoked salmon instead of tuna ... I was double wrong ... iz pickled ginger :3

I am having to eat what is available on my retreat. There is plenty of processed food ...

When I was at a local monastery, we had Tai food with cold McDonalds burgers for one meal. Another time a glut of mars bars entered the main meal. Fortunately the Western abundance means such 'foods' can be declined. Everything was eaten incidentally ...

Bunks