Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Keeping track of practice

CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us!United States Veteran

Hey guys. I have an idea. I go to this site SticK.com to keep track of meditation discipline among other goals you can select. If you want to make a goal(s) and keep track of each others progess, you can assign a "referree". I thought this would a challenging but communal way to support each other in our metta goals.

Check it out.

adamcrossley

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Great idea! However that website is for some funky kind of string instrument....nought to do with meditation.

• CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Great idea! However that website is for some funky kind of string instrument....nought to do with meditation.

Oopz

http://www.stickk.com/

@Carlita said:

@Bunks said:

Oopz

http://www.stickk.com/

Missed the K

Alright @Carlita - I am going to commit to at least one hour of meditation a day starting tomorrow. No money on the line to start with.
    What is your name on there to be my referee? I am Bunks.

@Bunks said:
    Alright @Carlita - I am going to commit to at least one hour of meditation a day starting tomorrow. No money on the line to start with.

Unveiledartist. You'll see a guy holding a cancas

@Bunks said:

I sent you an invite.

And we’re off. I have committed to at least one hour of meditation a day for the next 8 weeks. I have $1 a day riding on it! Carlita is my referee

Carlitalobster

@Carlita said:

@Bunks said:

I sent you an invite.

Yep. Also got your message.

Bunks

Anyone want to participate, Im unveiledartist on the site. Sign up a and disgnate whomever as your referree.

Take care

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

I’m trying to get to the 90-day goal on the Headspace app. Sometimes I wonder if this is the right thing to do, as “goals” don’t seem to apply very well to meditation. But as @lobster once said here, the only bad meditation is the one we don’t do. So if goals help me to get on the cushion, then good. I think the same probably applies to this.

Whatever helps you. Best of luck!

BunksCarlitalobsterHozan
  • I like this idea and this website!I have no money but I'm sure it could still help. Whatever works!

Carlita
    edited November 2017

@mindatrisk said:
    I like this idea and this website!I have no money but I'm sure it could still help. Whatever works!

Cool. I tried it for other goals like excercising and diet but kept forgetting it existed on my phone app. I meditate mornings and evenings without the app. Its a good way to connect with others in practice and has a journaling as well. Also a forum full of supporters. You can opt out of the referee and forums and watch your own progress. Its nice.

@adamcrossley said:
    I’m trying to get to the 90-day goal on the Headspace app. Sometimes I wonder if this is the right thing to do, as “goals” don’t seem to apply very well to meditation. But as @lobster once said here, the only bad meditation is the one we don’t do. So if goals help me to get on the cushion, then good. I think the same probably applies to this.

Headspace?

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

@Carlita said:
    Headspace?

Headspace is a mobile app for meditation. It’s secular, but the creator Andy Puddicombe is an ordained monk in the Tibetan tradition, and the techniques he teaches are all derived from there. I really like it. It’s how I came to Buddhism in the first place. There are courses on many topics: health issues like anxiety/depression, and general qualities like kindness and patience. He teaches noting techniques, and also visualisation which I recognise as metta bhavana.

It’s subscription based, but has been well worth it for me.

CarlitalobsterBunksBuddhadragon

@Bunks said:
    And we’re off. I have committed to at least one hour of meditation a day for the next 8 weeks. I have $1 a day riding on it! Carlita is my referee

I started keeping track of my meditations and putting Dharma quotes in my journal. Looking forward to your report. :)

Bunks
  • @adamcrossley said:

Exactly.
    Good luck with your challeges. Good luck with your support. Good luck with the journaling. It is only by persevering that

we succeed

BunkskarastiHozan
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I sometimes envy people who can make such swift use of technology for logging and keeping track of stuff! I use it for some things, of course, like my hours at my job and so on. And I use technology quite a bit. But I just cannot get used to using it for certain things, like journaling or scheduling or keeping track. Some things I have to do in written form and use written planners for, otherwise none of it sticks! Good luck to everyone!

BuddhadragonCarlita
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited November 2017

@karasti said:
    I sometimes envy people who can make such swift use of technology for logging and keeping track of stuff! I use it for some things, of course, like my hours at my job and so on. And I use technology quite a bit. But I just cannot get used to using it for certain things, like journaling or scheduling or keeping track. Some things I have to do in written form and use written planners for, otherwise none of it sticks! Good luck to everyone!

I do my journalling with pen and paper and could never use technological means for that.
    But keeping track of one's meditation session with an app is a cinch, since the session is automatically logged as soon as our session is over.
    Beginners who need motivation or people who prefer to monitor their progress may find them handy.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

For sure, I can definitely see how they are useful. I actually use a couple of different apps, and I'm sure they record my session, I've just never checked to see if that's the case. Everyone has different motivators and whatever keeps someone accountable to establishing new good habits is a win!

Buddhadragonlobster