Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Kids helping kids

NamadaNamada Veteran
edited November 2017 in General Banter

Hi

Iam a coach for the local kids soccer team, age 10. And I would like to find something they could do or activate them to do something for helping others, now before christmas. Iam not quite sure how we can help.
Maybe we could visit the hospital and give presents/sweets/cakes to kids at the hospital.

Iam not sure, perhaps some of you have some good advices?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

If you're going to motivate kids, to help kids - why don't you ask the kids in the soccer team what they would like to do, to help other kids? Give them a choice of 3 things, then ask which they feel would be best to do.
    After all, if you're going to elect them to help, it would be fair to give them a say in the matter....

karastiCarlitaNamada
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited November 2017

Yes I will ask them first, It can also be helping/visiting old people ofcourse. But I will try to find 3 things to do.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I'd definitely ask them. they often have better outside-the-box ideas than adults. One thing we did that always stuck with me was to do something nice for someone, anonymously, without ever telling anyone you did it. Once was in college, so we wrote about it for the end of term assignment. The other time I was about the same age, 10, and we did it for Girl Scouts.

Even just something like caroling can be really nice, and fun. People love those throw backs to traditions that just aren't done anymore. Nursing homes love visits from kids. Maybe as a group they could do a giving tree type of thing to choose another kid to give a gift to? Food shelves/pantries/banks always need volunteers.

But I always liked the anon do-gooder option, because you do it, and then you miss out on that ego boost and pat on the back. Which is a good thing, of course.

CarlitaNamada