Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Letting Go....Part 2/3/4/5 and so forth...

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" Nothing whatsoever should be clung to...

....for obvious reasons :)

Letting go can at times be quite difficult , especially since we have convinced ourselves that we are right...

So what Buddhist techniques do you/can one used to pry open the mind to allow fresh air/perspective in...?

In other words what works for you ?

And finally...How important are the "Three Marks of Existence" in helping one to come to grips with letting things go?

"Anicca Dukkha Anatta"

There are no doubt many threads on this topic ....but it pays to keep it in mind ....Nothing wrong with a refresher course..."I" take them all the time...force of habit :)

BuddhadragonHozan

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I read a small book of talks from Ajahn Sumedho on the weekend.

The technique he uses in all situations is "No preference".

Pretty self explanatory I guess.......

ShoshinHozanBuddhadragon
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Bunks ...It reminds me of ...

"The wise enjoy nothing in particular. and therefore enjoy everything in general!"

~Lao Tzu~

HozanBuddhadragonBunkslobster
  • jwredeljwredel Albuquerque Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    Letting go can at times be quite difficult , especially since we have convinced ourselves that we are right...

Simply recognizing an attachment is all that is asked ... as the act of letting go is yet another attachment.

ShoshinHozan
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 2017

@Shoshin said:

What works for me is to refine or try something different for a while.
    For example I usually meditate at the moment when it is dark, in the dark or with my eyes closed. This is also a formal technique used in Tibetan Buddhist Tantra.
    https://m.wikihow.com/Practice-Darkness-Meditation

... or I have been meditating without a cushion for a while. No need to get attached to 'props' ...

However when meditating with others I tend to adopt whatever lighting, eye posture or seating arrangements are their norm ...

ShoshinHozan
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It's been an interesting few days.....

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

And there they are.

Gone.

Every day is a new day.
    Best foot forward. And on we go.

BuddhadragonHozanShoshin
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

One of the things that personally helps me a lot when it comes to letting go, is going over the five remembrances every day.

BunksHozanlobsterShoshin