Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Eating meat and first precept

Hi guys,

Just a quick question. Is there bad karma from eating meat and is eating meat breaking the first precept? How about buying meat, is buying meat create bad kamma? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran
    edited December 2017

@NB1100 said:
    Hi guys,

Just a quick question. Is there bad karma from eating meat and is eating meat breaking the first precept? How about buying meat, is buying meat create bad kamma? Thanks in advance.

Herr id a Dharma talk on eating meat.

Puttamansa Sutta: A Son's Flesh
    https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.063.than.html

The Puttamansa sutta is very interest and creepy. The Buddha givies analogies of a mother or father eating their children, cows,etc and asking the morality of it.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

There are 2 other discussions about the topic that have been ongoing just this month. If you do a search at the top for "vegetarian" they'll come up. But be warned it is probably the most controversial topic on the board and discussions usually end up devolving quickly, :lol: It's just a very individual thing that we have to visit and investigate repeatedly for ourselves for a million reasons. Even the highest Buddhist teachers don't all agree on it. That's all I'm going to say. For real. Not even coming back after this comment.

Snakeskin
  • @Carlita said:

@NB1100 said:
    Hi guys,

The Puttamansa sutta is very interest and creepy. The Buddha givies analogies of a mother or father eating their children, cows,etc and asking the morality of it.

Thanks for your reply.
    But most of us do not eat meat in the same way/situation as the father and mother who eats their own child. So I think the consequences may be different.

@NB1100 said:

@Carlita said:

@NB1100 said:
    Hi guys,

Thanks for your reply.
    But most of us do not eat meat in the same way/situation as the father and mother who eats their own child. So I think the consequences may be different.

I took it as looking at the extreme and putting in perspective of any living being not just one's child. That and not all Westerners think the way "Easterners" potray us to be. Northern Westerners in America potray a bit more to the sterotype of us than Southerners. I live in between both extremes but I wasnt raised a northerner so the stereotypes bother me greatly.

In the West, a lot of less rural people eat meat but they take care of their animals better than up north. Less fast and artificial food. More emphasis on family and community. Im sure The Buddha had similar sentiments about what type of meat one eats if he said anything about lay practitioners being allowed to eat meat as opposed to monks and nuns. Also, Western/Christian America are highly interested in "book spirituality." I dont know many Buddhist practitioners I chant with care much about whats literally in the book in relation to correct practice. America doesnt have a long history like other Western countries. Im not sure about parts of Europe compared to the states.

The sutta I posted is extreme but many people eastern and western people here eat meat. Its highly cultural and differs in where a person lives locally, family, etc not what side of the world they are on.

@karasti said:
    There are 2 other discussions about the topic that have been ongoing just this month. If you do a search at the top for "vegetarian" they'll come up. But be warned it is probably the most controversial topic on the board and discussions usually end up devolving quickly, :lol: It's just a very individual thing that we have to visit and investigate repeatedly for ourselves for a million reasons. Even the highest Buddhist teachers don't all agree on it. That's all I'm going to say. For real. Not even coming back after this comment.

Why is it contraversial?

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

@NB1100 said:

I guess that the comparison with eating one’s own children is to suggest that perspective to us. The idea is that we don’t normally consider these acts—eating an animal and eating one’s children—to be equivalent, but isn’t that an arbitrary distinction that we are making? Animals are all someone’s children, after all.

I fall on the “bad karma” side of the argument personally. I don’t think it’s right view to distinguish between “valid” suffering in humans and “invalid” suffering in animals.

DavidCarlita
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@NB1100 said:
    Hi guys,

Just a quick question. Is there bad karma from eating meat and is eating meat breaking the first precept?

I believe so but it's a hot button topic.

How about buying meat, is buying meat create bad kamma?

Perhaps not for the buyer but butchering is an example of wrong livelihood so it probably creates bad karma for the butcher at least.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2017

I'm wondering if they are going to have 'laboratory' grown meat soon. Meat without a central nervous system to suffer. Like a plant does not have a central nervous system.

person
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Carlita said:

@karasti said:

Why is it contraversial?

Because some Buddhists think eating meat is irresponsible and murder. Others believe it is permissible. The Camps are at polar opposites, and it leads to quite heated discussions.
    Mostly, ones I have to close.

Carlita
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Not sure about your first or third question (Re: is there bad karma from eating and buying meat) but I would say that it is not breaking the first precept unless you took the life of the animal yourself.

Carlita
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Not sure about your first or third question (Re: is there bad karma from eating and buying meat) but I would say that it is not breaking the first precept unless you took the life of the animal yourself.

Agree 100%

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Carlita said:

@karasti said:

Why is it contraversial?

Because there's always one or two who like to tell meat eaters how awful they are.... Just do a search on threads here.

Carlita
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I agree with everybody - this is a controversy-free post.

HozanfedericalobsterSnakeskin