Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is the best way to use our idle time?

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran

Hi All,
What is the best way to use our idle time, if we want to progress on our spiritual path? Or in other words, what activity to do which would be most beneficial for us for our future? Please suggest. Thanks.

Snakeskin

Comments

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

What do you think would be best? In your view, what constitutes idle time?

See, we can give you our definitions or experiences, but it may not help at all. You need to start out with an idea of what may or may not be feasible. I've found over the years that Buddhism isn't like other paths. You don't get told what to believe and there's no other way. Buddhism is like "the religion with homework" - you have to actively participate.

If you're looking for easy answers and a one size fits all solution, you're on the wrong path.....

Having said all that, IF by some chance, I've misread your intent, then my number 1 activity I try to incorporate into my daily life is Mindfulness.

_ /\ _

Shoshinmisecmisc1Snakeskin
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited December 2017

What is the best way to use our idle time?
    Listen to christmas songs of course

silverSnakeskin
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I don't find I truly have idle time. If you take the time to be present in each moment and give it your full attention, then there is no "down time." That is the best way I've found to make sure every moment is part of my practice. I have to bring myself back to it, just like I do the breath in meditation. But I can find just as much value in sitting in the dark appreciating the Christmas lights as I can in seated meditation.

silverShoshinmisecmisc1Snakeskin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited December 2017

@misecmisc1 said:
    Hi All,
    What is the best way to use our idle time, if we want to progress on our spiritual path? Or in other words, what activity to do which would be most beneficial for us for our future? Please suggest. Thanks.

@misecmisc1
    Nutshell answer......."Dharma Practice" (it's a no brainer)...when it comes to the Dharma, it's not as if one can only practice it at certain times that one has set aside during the day/week...With Dharma practice one tries to live it 24/7/365...

Example when around others watch the mind... On ones own...watch the mind

It not as if the mind is kept in a specific place and only accessed every now and again :)

"The most essenstial method which includes all other methods is to behold the MInd-The Mind is the root from which 'all' things grow-If you can understand the MInd...Everything else is included"

~BodhiDharma~

lobstermisecmisc1personSnakeskin
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited December 2017

@dhammachick said:
    In your view, what constitutes idle time?

Well, by idle time in my above question, I was referring to the time in office, when I am in office, but there is not much work, some work is in progress, but it has dependency on other sub-activities which need to be done by other people, so till their work is done, we have to wait for our work to continue. So what to do in this time - I am in office and have internet, but obviously cannot watch youtube videos on internet in office. Moreover, the other idle time which I have is every day I spend nearly 2 hours in public transport. What to do in these idle times so that I do not waste these times and some benefit may also come from it? Please suggest. Thanks.

Snakeskin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2017

Have you tried lusting after co-workers? Yep I think you did ... not working out eh? Try mindfulness and returning to the breath ... as @Shoshin suggests or the next post from @seeker242 B)

JeroenSnakeskinBuddhadragon
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Meditation. =)

misecmisc1Snakeskin
  • I think it depends on the person and the time.

Snakeskin
  • adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

I listen to audiobooks. It can become a bit of a crutch though, I’ll admit.

Snakeskin
  • CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

I have a lot of time on my hands especially after I graduate. I made a routine of listening to Dharma talks before and/or after meditation. I am starting to get back into reading. I journal, paint, and things of that nature. I volunteer teach as well. Little things throughout the day can be made into a Buddhist practice. When The Buddha mentioned about mindfulness in breathe, he says to say "When I am breathing, I say I am breathe long...breathing short...etc." One can use that with just about any activity.

Snakeskin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I for one would love any 'idle time' I can get. What with working ungodly, seasonal hours, AND doing everything at home, I'm lucky if I even get a quarter of an hour to myself.

SnakeskinKundo
  • CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

@adamcrossley said:
    I listen to audiobooks. It can become a bit of a crutch though, I’ll admit.

Audiobooks are good. I've read so far half of In The Buddha's Words audio and reading it. I should be finished the whole book next week.