Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Did the Buddha cause the Buddha nature?

If you see what I mean I just had a question when thinking of what is meant by Buddha nature and 'causality'. So I think the harms in the world to lead to a Buddha to turn the wheel of dharma. So it might me a thought that occurred when I was thinking of what Buddha nature was and different types of realizers.

Comments

• The Buddha is nothing but a responsiveness to sentient beings.

Buddha nature means that the nature of all things is Buddha. If a being recognizes Buddha Nature then they for that moment have Buddha responsiveness activity.

The cause of Buddha nature is causeless (spontaneous). But not seeing or recognizing Buddha Nature leads to Dualism. In Dualism one see's appearances as apart from oneself. Then there is a link between one moment and a next. Thus a casual chain.

Buddha's stand outside of causality.

Thus a Buddha is always responding perfectly to what is required.

• KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

Excerpt from a book I bought for $3 and is quickly becoming my go to Dharma source.

From the pure land tradition:

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

As I understand these things @Jeffrey buddha nature is just intrinsic to living beings. Buddha didn't cause it, it had to already have been there for him to become Buddha. He did however recognise it.

• Buddha means awake.
    The word Buddha means The Awakened One, coming from the Sanskrit root budh – 'to wake'.
    http://www.thebuddhistsociety.org/page/fundamental-teachings

Maybe you are already awake?
    http://www.iawwai.com/EveryoneIsGod.htm

Awake practice
    https://www.lionsroar.com/you-are-already-enlightened/

For all of us, the path of befriending our experience requires great gentleness and patience. As I recognized on my trip to the mountains in college, the deep and persistent tendency to think that something is wrong with us is a prison that prevents us from living and loving fully. Yet as we learn to meet whatever arises in our body, heart and mind with Radical Acceptance we discover a precious freedom. Rather than being identified as a defended and insufficient self, we come to trust what Buddhists call our Buddha nature—the awareness and love that are our true essence.
    https://www.tarabrach.com/articles-interviews/trauma/

BodhiTzuDhammika
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited August 2017

Buddha nature preceded Gautama Shakyamuni - he just stumbled upon it in the woods.......

lobsterKannonBunks
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I don't think there is Buddhanature because there is Buddha but I do think that because there is Buddhanature, Buddha can awaken.

Kannon
  • In brief, as I see it, Buddha is not the causative factor in the emergence of Buddhanature. However, Buddha nature is a causative factor in the awakening of a Buddha.

Peace to all

• CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    If you see what I mean I just had a question when thinking of what is meant by Buddha nature and 'causality'. So I think the harms in the world to lead to a Buddha to turn the wheel of dharma. So it might me a thought that occurred when I was thinking of what Buddha nature was and different types of realizers.

I always thought Buddha nature is just the potentional for us to be awakened. So, ifbwe dont have a buddha nature, we, sentient beings, wont have the ability to be enlightened. Its more what is under the delusions and attachments more so than an isolated state if being.

The human nature to become a buddha. Unless one says we cant be awakened, there's only awaked state. Many ways to get there.

• jwredeljwredel Albuquerque Veteran

It's probably most helpful to think of buddha-nature more as a verb - as the process that drives human experience in its various manifestations (thought, perception, etc.). And with that perspective, we can either awaken to the reality and the nature of this activity ... or not.

Recall one of those bits of pithiness that goes something like ... "the only difference between a buddha and an ignorant is that one realizes (that he is ignorant)".

Carlita
  • CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

@Kannon said:
    Excerpt from a book I bought for $3 and is quickly becoming my go to Dharma source.

From the pure land tradition:

I got it myself little over a month ago. Pure Land. I didn't know that. Is it more of a summary of what The Buddha taught or as commentary? I couldn't tell which.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Jeffrey said:

Well, as has been said before - The Buddha wasn't Buddhist. The Buddha didn't cause anything - he was an example. As he leads, others follow. Or at least, try to.
    A teacher doesn't cause your knowledge of a subject. A teacher can only teach.
    The learning, and revelation of our understanding, is up to us.

lobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2017

Removed on account of being too silly.

lobster
  • @David said:
    Removed on account of being too silly.

Kept in for same reason :p
    ... and now back to Buddha Nurtures ...