Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Antivirus recommendation?

I took a look over in Icrontic sibling website of NewBuddhist but there wasn't a discussion of AV software since 10 years and didn't seem to fit with the Icrontic forum quite so I came back here. I know it's not a Buddhism topic but I figure I rarely start threads so if I can get my recommendation it would remain a rare non-Buddhist post from me.

I'm looking for a recommendation for an antivirus. I had been using trend micro but when I went to renew it it asked me if I wanted their toolbar as part of the installation and I was in a facepalm moment where I was thinking the last thing I want is a toolbar on my computer and part of why I want an antivirus is so I DON'T have toolbars appear on my computer.

I'm running Windows 7 on the computer if that matters. On Icrontic the 10 year old thread the Norton antivirus was the highest recommended but I'm not sure how much has changed in 10 years. Thanks.

Comments

• chromebook requires no antivirus protection. None. But, what if.......

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I use AVG and have always been happy with it. I upgraded a while back to the non-free version. I use Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro for malware/junk removal.

• Run an operating system that does not require anti-virus software

Linux
    IOS
    MacOS
    Chromium OS

I use Puppy
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2018

@lobster I use the Windows7 to play video games that don't run well with WINE (not the beverage =) ). Some games need DirectX to run well (or at all). I also use MacOS (partition) to do things other than video games.

lobster
  • Puppy can be run from Windows, from an SD card, from a cheap computer like a Raspberry Pi, from a CD/DVD ROM without deinstalling or modifying Widows 7 virus catchment area :p

Otherwise you are stuck in your Window Game Calmer Karma. Just so you know. B)

• ZeroZero Veteran

Avast is good + malwarebytes

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

Avast Free is OK, but all the popups can be annoying. Microsoft Security Essentials isn't the greatest, but it's free and doesn't nag you. If you're using Windows just for games, the Microsoft antivirus might be enough.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2018

Thanks for the recommendations. Looks like two for Avast and one for AVG so far. One for Microsoft Security Essentials.

• If I was using Ms Widows, I would make sure I am using the latest, with updates. Turn off as many security risks as possible. Use a better browser and AVG or the MS provided one.
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/secure-windows

• I recommend bullguard. Or if you want a free one the ms one is actually pretty decent, while using malware bytes as an additional scanner. I'm not sure I like avast it never seemed to work for me.

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

@lobster said:
    If I was using Ms Widows,

I recently saw an ad on Craigslist for "Widows 95". And, no, it wasn't a personal.

lobster
  • Security is not just about viruses and protecting widows. It might be worth using a Firewall, your router probably has a rudimentary one.

Puppy Security (old info) =)

UK advice (up to date) B)
    https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance

not sure what to do in USA as they have 'fake news' as a policy at the moment :p

• This might be of interest. Avira is recommended as the free option.
    https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-antivirus,review-2588.html