Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are your favorite horror movies?

Its dark and cold outside and not much to do,
so what are your favorite horror movies?

Comments

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Super Size Me

Bunkssilverperson
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

My mother (bless her!) dropped me off at the cinema as a 9 year old with my older brothers to watch a sweet little film called American Werewolf in London.

I was scarred for life.

Can't stand horror films!

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

You like horror movies, eh, @Namada? I'm not much into them. But I do like the TV series, Grimm - which has more than its fair share of violence. This year (or was it last year) was their final season - they had 6 altogether. It was really good (TV) theatre.
    Do you have a favorite?

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Im not a big horror movie fan, but I did once see the Japanese original version of Ring and thought it was quite good.

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited January 2018

I dont like all the violence of todays horror movies, the horror movies with no blood, and are more like Psychological thrillers are the best ones. Also the atmosphere from 70s horror movies are very good.

Some of my favorites are, Exorcist, Carrie, the ring (japanese version), psycho, Requiem for a Dream (not actualy a horror movie).

Also children television old school "pompel og pilt" and "mumi" was scary when I was a kid.

"Pompel Og pilt" many norwegian kids got tramutaised from this tv show.

Bunks
  • Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
    The Addams Family
    Monsters Inc

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I watch horror movies pretty often, though not a big fan of the slasher types of shows. I also prefer psychological thrillers. I've watched a few older ones lately and enjoyed them all over again, Fallen being one of them that particularly creeps me out. If you have Netflix, their movie "Before I Wake" was quite creepy and the ending was unexpected. I have 1922 on my Netflix list, which is based on a Stephen King story but haven't watched it yet.

Honestly, of all the shows I've watched in the last few years, Black Mirror is probably the scariest. If you haven't watched it, it's worth a month of netflix by itself. There are 3 seasons, each is about 6 episodes. Very Twilight Zone-like. Not horror genre in the typical sense, but close enough. The fictional possibilities of the near future of mankind based on technology and trends. Scary stuff there.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I'm not that into horror either but two that I've seen recently that I liked were The Girl With All the Gifts and Get Out.

Also, @karasti the 4th season of Black Mirror came out recently. I highly recommend the show too.

• Black mirror yes maybe I will give it a try! But my problem with series I need to know what happens next and I cant quit! So I prefer movies, 1920 from Stephen King I will check it out :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I have no favourites, I don't watch them. I really don't see the point.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited January 2018

What are your favorite horror movies?

The ones staring Donald Trump as the US president ;)

Well it's more so one of the scariest :)

Bunkslobster
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited January 2018

@federica You dont see the point? You learn a lot.

In exorcist, do not become a priest and dont play with a ouija board.
    Carrie - be nice with everyone, it can be some of them are a witch and will burn you alive.
    Rosemarys Baby - dont have sex with anti crist, your baby will look kind of weird.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Ot don't expose yourself to anything bad in the first place, then you don't need to avoid anything.

• true that :)

• The Shining

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@Namada said:
    Black mirror yes maybe I will give it a try! But my problem with series I need to know what happens next and I cant quit! So I prefer movies, 1920 from Stephen King I will check it out :)

Black Mirror is an anthology show like The Twilight Zone where it's all set up and resolved in each episode.

• Its dark and cold outside and not much to do

What is it like inside? A lot to be done? Not much ... nearly there?

I recently watched http://www.crazywisdomthemovie.com/chogyam-trungpa
    The first time I only managed to watch one hour of this horrific self indulgent film. Recently I gritted my teeth and watched the whole thing. Much as suspected the last half hour showed the real depravity of some 'gurus' and their zombie followers.
    Lots of talks by Oslo, Oh-shoo, Osho, fake-news-buddha (whatever he is called now) available on Youtube for horror fans ... o:)

I feel dark mirror is tame by comparison :p

Namada
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

I like the Conjuring series. The first and third Blair Witch, too.

Namada
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@dhammachick said:
    What is your favorite horror movie?

My first marriage......

Ha ha!

Here we go....the past 15 years for my beloved Carlton FC!

Kundo
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Anything with Trump in it.

karasti
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@Namada Yes, like person said, you don't have to worry about following a story line from episode to episode. Each one is an entirely new character lineup and storyline. They are stand-alone. I found I could never watch more than 2 in a day because digesting them took some time.

@person yes, thank you, I had forgotten the most recent was season 4. I watched them with my college son when he was home for break. I wish the seasons were a bit longer!

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

So do you think that one’s fears should be faced in order to acclimatise oneself to them? That might be a reason to do meditation on the gross parts of the body, or death meditation.

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited January 2018

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran
    edited January 2018

dot? :confused:

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

i HATE horror movies. (BTW, I remember as a child having some cognitive difficulty with the word. "Hour" and "horror" confused me.

@Kerome said:
    So do you think that one’s fears should be faced in order to acclimatise oneself to them? That might be a reason to do meditation on the gross parts of the body, or death meditation.

Please see:
    ("https://nytimes.com/video/opinion/100000004882589/ten-meter-tower.html")

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Frankenstein AKA Trumpenstein ;)