Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Contemplation, concentration, meditation and sitting mindlessly on a beach

Do you know what you are doing? In fact are you doing too much?

Here are some clues:

• Concentrates: tight ass, one technique based discipline. Working?
  • Contemplation - sort of mind rapping on a theme. Focus needed. Not mind wandering ... or then again ...
  • Meditation - answers in an email to the usual address...
  • Relax ... oh that is a big clue ... ;)

Arturo

Comments

• All those myths ...

silver
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Perpetuated by Mythters....

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Why make a poster telling you the myths, rather than the truth? It seems to be perpetuating the wrong things.

lobster
  • Sometimes @Kerome we have to be reminded how 'not to think' ... Which poster would you recommend?

Such a situation is described in a contemporary joke: There was once a small boy who banged a drum all day and loved every moment of it. He would not be quiet, no matter what anyone else said or did. Various people who called themselves Sufis, and other well-wishers, were called in by neighbors and asked to do something about the child.

The first so-called Sufi told the boy that he would, if he continued to make so much noise, perforate his eardrums; this reasoning was too advanced for the child, who was neither a scientist nor a scholar. The second told him that drum beating was a sacred activity and should be carried out only on special occasions. The third offered the neighbors plugs for their ears; the fourth gave the boy a book; the fifth gave the neighbors books that described a method of controlling anger through biofeedback; the sixth gave the boy meditation exercises to make him placid and explained that all reality was imagination. Like all placebos, each of these remedies worked for a short while, but none worked for very long.

Eventually, a real Sufi came along. He looked at the situation, handed the boy a hammer and chisel, and said, "I wonder what is INSIDE the drum?"

http://www.katinkahesselink.net/sufi/sufi-jok.html

Snakeskin
  • JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

Concentration to most people means Wrong Concentration, like tightening a guitar string too tight. Right Concentration is not too loose and not too tight. It's just right. Bing.

Snakeskin
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited January 2018

@lobster said:

This has been me each night for the last three nights. And I had a complete "snap" at work yesterday. Now, I'm mentally and emotionally exhausted and can't fathom sitting to meditate, if I can meditate. I just focus on what I'm doing from moment to moment. I can't bring myself to do anything else.

That position above is pretty awesome actually.

SnakeskinCarameltail
  • It is an awesome position/asana.

When we are climbing the wall, sitting in front of a shrine feeling like biting the nearest Buddhas head off ... what then?

Everything!

• calming tea
    • calming music
    • soothing incense

We might need stronger stuff ... for example:

Ay caramba!

Carameltail