Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A short meditation on fear

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

So tonight I had a long dream (about setting up my own company), an early waking and dropping in and out of slumber, and when I finally woke up it was with the inspiration to do a meditation on fear.

I settled myself down in meditation posture, half closed my eyes and focused on the concept of fear, seeing what insight might come. After about five minutes what came was that “fear was a protector”. The thoughts that followed were about protecting ourselves from physical arm, and the thought to not take things so easy. Several minutes later the thought came that “fear was avoidance”, that it altered the patterns of our thoughts and behaviour away from a true seeing and being, that it was one of the Three Poisons.

The last thing that came was a thought about “what is the source of his vanity?” Which I thought was an interesting hint for me.

Have you ever thought deeply about the nature of fear and how it shapes us?

Snakeskin

Comments

• @Kerome said:
    Have you ever thought deeply about the nature of fear and how it shapes us?

No I am too scarred ... eh scared ... ;)
    ... Oh wait ... you are asking about picnics in the hell realms perhaps? :o
    I luvs those ... <3

Being 'fear aware' is part of wrathful Tantric practices. Personally I find the 'my little pony mane' worn by the Trump far more malevolent ... :p

fear is a form of attachment, to losing something in my experience ... :)

Jeroen
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

The first thing that comes to mind is the only thing to fear is fear itself which makes me think of the difference between fear and respect.

I differentiate by thinking of the fact that electricity can kill me. Does that mean I should then fear electricity or respect the way it goes?

The greatest fear of all, the fear of death doesn't really work the same way because I simply don't know what happens to our experiencing mind when death occurs. All I can do is respect the fact that I simply don't know and be alright with that.

We can fear the unknown or we can respect the unknown.

The choice is ours.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

The fear of freedom is interesting.

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited January 2018

@lobster said:
    fear is a form of attachment, to losing something in my experience ... :)

Thanks @lobster, your lighthearted approach as usual hides much of merit.

You would then say it is something generated by being separated from what we Desire, with Avoidance kicking in afterwards, two of the Three Poisons in a heady mix. I think for a lot of people that’s true, if you fear losing your things or people, or your body or mind or soul even.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@genkaku said:

Isn’t it just? It’s a fear of responsibility and the consequences of responsibility, doing things wrong, encountering new dangers. Quite a few angles to it.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

The miracle of artificial intelligence is that it can do everything perfectly, the very attribute some Buddhists assume they are striving for. The miracle of human intelligence is that it can do things imperfectly, the very attribute some Buddhists assume they are striving to avoid.

Go figure. :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@genkaku said:
    The miracle of artificial intelligence is that it can do everything perfectly, the very attribute some Buddhists assume they are striving for. The miracle of human intelligence is that it can do things imperfectly, the very attribute some Buddhists assume they are striving to avoid.

Go figure. :)

Perfection is subjective....

• I think for a lot of people that’s true, if you fear losing your things or people, or your body or mind or soul even.

B)

@genkaku said:

Tee hee.
    Who is frightened there is nothing to fear? Ay caramba! <3

It is interesting how attention can come from pain, fear, loss. Selling ones soul for an empty tin of sardines :3 (I thought it was a good deal). We have to be careful not to lose our heads, not put it down in the wrong places/realms ...

In other words don't get lost in the dark without a light relief. At the moment I meditate in the dark. However that is just a state of emptiness ...