Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Trump

124»

Comments

  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited June 2017

    @Dakini said:

    @vinlyn said:
    Trump presents we Buddhists with a conundrum. Many of us are appalled with his policies and behaviors. Yet, to me, it seems "un-Buddhist" to attack a person, particularly on a Buddhist website (although I certainly understand the temptation). There are plenty of website forums (such as City-Data) where there are relatively unrestrained political sub-forums. I even use my own Facebook page. What does not seem "un-Buddhist" to me is attacking policies.

    Vin, weren't you a school principal? Tsk, tsk. "Trump presents us Buddhists with..."

    But you're right that traditionally, Buddhists aren't supposed to engage in politics. But even in this era of "engaged Buddhism", one could say that participating in a conversation attacking a political figure could be considered "wrong speech", "idle chatter" and the like.

    Ack! You caught me. I meant to speak about small Buddhists, so it should have been "wee". 😉

    The "wrong speech", particularly on a Buddhist website, was what kind of grated on me, although I share the concerns of so many on the topic of Donald Trump. I'm still guilty on the "wrong speech" aspect, but I try to reserve it to political websites.

    Socair
  • SocairSocair Veteran

    @vinlyn said:

    @Dakini said:

    @vinlyn said:
    Trump presents we Buddhists with a conundrum. Many of us are appalled with his policies and behaviors. Yet, to me, it seems "un-Buddhist" to attack a person, particularly on a Buddhist website (although I certainly understand the temptation). There are plenty of website forums (such as City-Data) where there are relatively unrestrained political sub-forums. I even use my own Facebook page. What does not seem "un-Buddhist" to me is attacking policies.

    Vin, weren't you a school principal? Tsk, tsk. "Trump presents us Buddhists with..."

    But you're right that traditionally, Buddhists aren't supposed to engage in politics. But even in this era of "engaged Buddhism", one could say that participating in a conversation attacking a political figure could be considered "wrong speech", "idle chatter" and the like.

    Ack! You caught me. I meant to speak about small Buddhists, so it should have been "wee". 😉

    The "wrong speech", particularly on a Buddhist website, was what kind of grated on me, although I share the concerns of so many on the topic of Donald Trump. I'm still guilty on the "wrong speech" aspect, but I try to reserve it to political websites.

    Lesson happily learned by me. Appreciate it @vinlyn

  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

    Becoming angry, becoming annoyed, being amused, being sadden, being indifferent etc etc...
    However one chooses to react, it's all entwined within one's Dharma practice...It's all Dharma, there's no escaping it...

    Socair
  • personperson Where is my mind? 'Merica! Veteran
    edited June 2017

    I was going to chime in on the Paris withdrawal and I think @yagr and @vinlyn already echoed my sentiment.

    Nothing in the Paris agreement was required or enforceable so I think withdrawing hurts the US standing more than it will hurt the climate. Without the US other countries will step up to lead the way even more as well as individual states and US corporations, even Walmart and Exxon-Mobile are taking steps.

    The moral argument for the welfare of humanity on this planet is a strong reason to control carbon emissions. But the economics of clean energy is what will really drive the level of change needed and the reduction of prices there continues to move quickly forward.

    Many sources of political media spin things to get their readers riled up probably because angry people tend to be motivated people, motivated to take action on whatever that media cares about.

    vinlyn
  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2017

    @Dakini said:

    @Hozan said:
    No more Trump comments from me. Its not constructive and achieves nothing other than to make me more annoyed at him.
    So its a Trump radio silence from me.

    You can't withdraw from your own thread. You're stuck with it. ;)

    Actually he can. Anyone can. I do receive requests by OPs to dispose of threads now and then.
    Not suggesting or even hinting it should be done in this case. Just pointing it out.
    Incidentally, I act as appropriate, not 'on a whim'.
    I consider different factors....

  • SocairSocair Veteran

  • SocairSocair Veteran

    I would like to end my contribution to this Trump thread I have started on a positive note. It has been cathartic in ways but I have learned much from others comments and I have learned how much farther I need to travel on my buddhist path.
    I thank you , all who have contributed and I leave this thread.

    vinlyn
  • SocairSocair Veteran

  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran
    edited June 2017

    Having insulted the Mayor of London after the recent terror attack, the Farting Trumpet is now worried that he won't be welcome in the UK. What a dick. Mrs. Maybot said his visit won't be cancelled, but hopefully she will do a U-turn on that as well, her circuitry has been misfiring a lot recently. I reckon Doctor Evil is behind it all.

  • ajhayesajhayes Northern Michigan Veteran

    @Hozan said:
    Im not sitting on the fence here. I utterly reject trump and what he stands for. Today he pulled the US out of the Paris agreement on climate change. He is a petty, vindictive, small minded man and one man shouldnt have the power to influence the fate of the global population.
    I have no doubt America is a great nation but it is being led by a........(insert word of choice).

    Tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back. ;)

    I'm with you there.

    Socair
  • SocairSocair Veteran

    @Hozan said:
    I would like to end my contribution to this Trump thread I have started on a positive note. It has been cathartic in ways but I have learned much from others comments and I have learned how much farther I need to travel on my buddhist path.
    I thank you , all who have contributed and I leave this thread.

    @karasti I agree with you. I came to this realisation too. And as promised I have no further Trump news to add.
    Much metta
    Hozan
    P..S I hope you had a lovely vacation and welcome back. :)

    Shoshinlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

    😌

    Dear Friends of the Buddha,

    Outstanding post from @karasti
    Don't worry about the small handed :3 stuff ... it is all small stuff apart from:

    • metta
    • kindness
    • good will
    • friendliness
    • peace

    Usual stuff ... We iz plan!

    Socair
  • SocairSocair Veteran

    An interesting article

  • JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

    There is no Donald Trump.

  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    @JaySon said:
    There is no Donald Trump.

    I think he might disagree with you there.... Humbly, of course.... :D

    JaySonSocair
  • JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

    @federica said:

    @JaySon said:
    There is no Donald Trump.

    I think he might disagree with you there.... Humbly, of course.... :D

    My reply will be...okay, where is Donald Trump? Is Donald Trump your leg? Your thoughts? Your beliefs? As you can see, Donald Trump, Donald Trump is merely a figment of your imagination.

    Oh yeah? Point to Donald Trump. Booyah.

  • KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran

    @JaySon said:
    There is no Donald Trump.

    Donald Trump is an angry twitter-bot who happens to have been elected president.

    Socair
  • SocairSocair Veteran

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-russia-sanctions/trump-administration-holds-off-on-new-russia-sanctions-despite-law-idUSKBN1FI2V7

    Troublesome times. A law passed 6 months ago is now ignored by Trump. Democracy is being chipped away at by Trump in the US. An Authoritarian in the making?? Next step fire Mueller?? Worrying times for the US and the world.

  • SocairSocair Veteran

    Is Trump like Senator Palpatine aka Darth Sidious aka The Emperor?

  • SocairSocair Veteran

    @JaySon said:

    @federica said:

    @JaySon said:
    There is no Donald Trump.

    I think he might disagree with you there.... Humbly, of course.... :D

    My reply will be...okay, where is Donald Trump? Is Donald Trump your leg? Your thoughts? Your beliefs? As you can see, Donald Trump, Donald Trump is merely a figment of your imagination.

    Oh yeah? Point to Donald Trump. Booyah.

    Unfortunately there is a Donald Trump and even more unfortunately the damage he is doing is very real.

  • JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

    @Socair said:

    @JaySon said:

    @federica said:

    @JaySon said:
    There is no Donald Trump.

    I think he might disagree with you there.... Humbly, of course.... :D

    My reply will be...okay, where is Donald Trump? Is Donald Trump your leg? Your thoughts? Your beliefs? As you can see, Donald Trump, Donald Trump is merely a figment of your imagination.

    Oh yeah? Point to Donald Trump. Booyah.

    Unfortunately there is a Donald Trump and even more unfortunately the damage he is doing is very real.

    So tell your mom to stop it.

    Socair
  • SocairSocair Veteran

    @JaySon said:

    @Socair said:

    @JaySon said:

    @federica said:

    @JaySon said:
    There is no Donald Trump.

    I think he might disagree with you there.... Humbly, of course.... :D

    My reply will be...okay, where is Donald Trump? Is Donald Trump your leg? Your thoughts? Your beliefs? As you can see, Donald Trump, Donald Trump is merely a figment of your imagination.

    Oh yeah? Point to Donald Trump. Booyah.

    Unfortunately there is a Donald Trump and even more unfortunately the damage he is doing is very real.

    So tell your mom to stop it.

    Ok. She said she would do her best to stop it. Thank you. Sound advice.

    JaySon
  • personperson Where is my mind? 'Merica! Veteran

    Sometimes a virus kills us and sometimes it strengthens our immune system. Will Trump kill us or strengthen us?

  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    That depends on our own inherent resistance to the virus.

  • personperson Where is my mind? 'Merica! Veteran
    edited January 30

    @federica said:
    That depends on our own inherent resistance to the virus.

    I agree, it depends. Are you familiar with the term antifragility? It's the idea that some systems get stronger via stressors and weaker when they are protected from them, such as the immune or skeletal system, or evolution. I guess I think democracy maybe like that too. So Trump's attacks on the media and laws would actually cause those systems to respond and strengthen. It could be that he kills them though, so it is an open question to me. So it is worrying but in the long run it could make us stronger for it.

    Good?... Bad?... Who knows?
    ~Ajahn Brahm

124»
Sign In or Register to comment.