Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is your Plan?

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited February 2018 in Buddhism Basics

From another thread:

May we all become Buddhas so we can best help everyone else become Buddhas then they can help others become Buddhas and then those Buddhas can help others become Buddhas.

That is the Mahayana plan. It is a good plan, much needed in a world of un-Buddhas, sleeping through existence. How to wake each other up? For me it is attune and resonate with whatever skilful components others provide.

It might be a chan handbook
http://longbeachmonastery.org/the_chan_handbook.pdf
provided here in the resources section ...
https://www.zen1.space

It might be as we individually share our resources of kindness, wisdom, experiences, failings and success ...Yes we can learn from ignorance ... but so much better the company of Buddhas ...

Are you planning for waking or just a comforting zzz ...

HozanpersonSnakeskinJaySonBuddhadragon

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Well I’m kind of awake... after all I did find Buddhism.

But about the mahayanists, did they account for population growth? How long does it take for a Buddha to help someone become a Buddha, and does that rate of conversion outstrip the growth of the population? Will the percentage of buddha’s ever reach 100% Buddha-ness?

This is the problem I have with grand cosmic plans.

Snakeskinsilver
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I’ll settle for sotapanna in this life thanks.......

SnakeskinBuddhadragon
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@lobster said:

Planning on waking. 6 am every week day, as that is when I set the alarm clock, because I have to go to work. Weekends alarm gets turned off but I usually wake up when the sun comes up anyway.

=)

Snakeskin
  • "Cunda, that one who is himself sinking in the mud should pull out another who is sinking in the mud is impossible; that one who is not himself sinking in the mud should pull out another who is sinking in the mud is possible." 1

One out of the mud is tamed and disciplined with defilments extinguished.

"1. A person given to cruelty has non-cruelty by which to extinguish it.
    2. One given to … by which to extinguish it.
    [3-44]...."

The plan:
    See this: Ack! Quicksand!
    Do this: Crawl outta quicksand.

@lobster said:
    Are you planning for waking or just a comforting zzz …

That’s a question for solid ground.

personShoshin
  • JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

I started off Zen for selfish reasons, went to Theravada for selfish reasons, then found myself drifting toward Mahayana, having generated some bodhicitta, I guess. I find Lamrim to be the most complete, comprehensive path, but I also learn from those who only wish to end their own suffering through wisdom.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2018

Based on understanding impermanence my plan is for today and the very next step. Though it would be nice to read all of the books I've bought about Buddhism and some in most particular. In particular I'd like to review the Jewel Ornament of Liberation again and read it in tandem with Progressives Stages of Meditation on Emptiness and another book that text mentioned. And then see if that affects my meditation. Having read all of those I might be prepared to read The Buddha Within which was my teachers text on like the Clear Light or Buddha nature but it's a text that you have to prepare for to understand.

lobster
  • My plan is to reduce my own suffering and that of those around me.

personlobsterBuddhadragonJeroen

@Jeffrey said:
    Based on understanding impermanence my plan is for today and the very next step. Though it would be nice to read all of the books I've bought about Buddhism and some in most particular. In particular I'd like to review the Jewel Ornament of Liberation again and read it in tandem with Progressives Stages of Meditation on Emptiness and another book that text mentioned. And then see if that affects my meditation. Having read all of those I might be prepared to read The Buddha Within which was my teachers text on like the Clear Light or Buddha nature but it's a text that you have to prepare for to understand.

Similar to Progressive Stages... No Death No Fear by TNH, How to See Yourself As You Really Are by Dalai Lama.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@lobster said:

What is your plan ?

My plan is to multitask and do both :)

BuddhadragonKundo
  • ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

@federica said:

@ajhayes said:
    I am working toward ordination. As of this morning, I have begun (trying) to live by the 8 precepts, instead of the 5.

We greatly support and look forward to walking with you on your journey to ordination. We are blessed to have accompanied one "wannabe Bhikkhu" (who finally made it!) along his path; what a wonderful thing it would be to have two on board!! Much Metta and a joyous progress to you!

Thank you @federica ! I like the title of wannabe bhikku. :) As always, I look forward to learning with and from all of you

Hozan

What is your plan ?

In a sense, when it comes to an Enlightened mind...Compassion (it would seem ) is the fuel that keeps the lamp alight :)

Working towards Enlightenment (for me) means to work for others and working for others, "I" also work for/on my self...

The path to Enlightenment is lit up by Compassion :)

lobsterHozan

@Shoshin said:

What is your plan ?

In a sense, when it comes to an Enlightened mind...Compassion (it would seem ) is the fuel that keeps the lamp alight :)

Working towards Enlightenment (for me) means to work for others and working for others, "I" also work for/on my self...

The path to Enlightenment is lit up by Compassion :)

They say compassion and wisdom are like two wings of a bird that will fly you to enlightenment.

lobsterHozanShoshin
  • Thanks everyone <3

Don't think just because you are without plan, formless zenith, deviant Hinayana :p ignorant, Theravadin, cult or new Age Buddhist, you will escape the plan @person illustrated so well.

We are coming for you. Iz plan. ;)

Be you Blessed Be
    Be you temporarily Tantra Trumped
    Be you Bikkhu
    Be you Buddha

Think you can pass? Nobody gets out alive! Tee Hee! <3

HozanBuddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Actually, I never really had a plan.
    I am not a good planner, but much more the whing-it type.
    I take life on my stride and whip up solutions as I walk.

I set out very early on the spiritual path through Taoism and Advaita Vedanta before Buddhism and the reason why I tread this path is clear to me: to attain inner peace, to come to grips with change and impermanence, to teach myself acceptance.

They say that people do not need to be saved, but rather learn how to save themselves.
    Buddhism does a great job teaching people how to save themselves.
    So, if anything, I love to lead by example.
    I am awful with Right Speech and too rash and impulsive to be the embodiment of the perfect Buddhist.
    But I am at peace.
    With my choices. With life as it is.

I have attained a good degree of equanimity that allows me to live well.
    And that is something I love to pass on to people.
    To whoever cares to listen.
    My positivity and optimism have improved the life of the people who come in contact with me.
    I may not save them all, but I know I have saved a few, and will continue to do so <3

lobsterHozanDhammikaShoshin
  • @ajhayes said:
    I am working toward ordination. As of this morning, I have begun (trying) to live by the 8 precepts, instead of the 5.

You devil! (Buddha devil of course) ;)

Let us see if I can remember the first 3 precepts without consulting Guru Google o:)

• Look after your Bodhi
    • Don't mind the mind
    • Cushion Power!

Iz precepts o:)

ajhayesDhammikaHozanBuddhadragon
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Apparently Jiddhu Krishnamurthi was enlightened and despite 70 years of trying, did not leave any enlightened students. One of his dying comments was that people did not take enlightenment seriously...

Osho’s comment on this was that enlightenment should not be serious.

JaySon
  • Recognizing unwholesome thinking, letting it go. Generating wholesome thought, fertilizing them.

HozanShoshinlobsterBuddhadragon

What is your Plan?

I guess in the nutshell sense...to do whatever it takes to find genuine inner peace & happiness .....But then, this has always been the plan ....even when "I" was not actively planning it :)

HozanBuddhadragonlobster

@Kerome said:
    Apparently Jiddhu Krishnamurthi was enlightened and despite 70 years of trying, did not leave any enlightened students. One of his dying comments was that people did not take enlightenment seriously...

Osho’s comment on this was that enlightenment should not be serious.

I'm aiming for at least stream entry in this life, but not planning on becoming a monastic, so I guess it's not working out so well so far. I'll just collect as much merit as I can, purify as much negative karma as I can, and try for Tranquil Abiding and Superior Seeing.

• @Dhammika said:
    Recognizing unwholesome thinking, letting it go. Generating wholesome thought, fertilizing them.

Now that's a plan. So simple.

Recognizing wholesome Being and being blessed or Blessed Be as the Pagan Buddhists say ...
    http://pagandharma.org

• @JaySon I think so long as you can study and have instruction (enough) you don't have to go to a monastery. I think historically many people in monasteries had to labor for a lot of the time anyhow. So if you have the interest, and the teachings, and an instruction in modern life it is not too bad comparatively.

JaySonBuddhadragon
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

My plan is to do my Practice.
    To grow old and die.
    And hopefully, by that time, to have developed enough skill to open to the experience with mindfulness. With curiosity rather than resistance.
    After that? Assuming there is an "after"?
    We shall see. I am taught that any future life will be based on who/how I am in this life.

My teacher tells us to focus on the process rather than the goal.
    Also says that what we are doing with our Practice is setting imprints (karmas) that will propel us into a next-life situation where we will be exposed to the teachings and thereby be able to continue working towards enlightenment.

It seems that Buddhism is about changing where/how you are now ... and much less about where you think you will be going in the future.

• @ZendoLord84 said:
    My plan is to reduce my own suffering and that of those around me.

What an awesome and simple aspiration.
    To be happy and well, to increase the well being and being well of others.

Thanks everyone. The Path is clear ... maybe it is not always easy to implement by the well meaning ... Go Buddha!
    https://billofrightsinstitute.org/founding-documents/bill-of-rights/