Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche

From another necro thread ...

Synopsis: Alcohol is used in Ayurvda (Indian) medicine to create certain affects and depress others.
Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche was of the Buddha Family and naturally inclined to space. He had to hold himself down to earth in order to teach. He apparently found it difficult. He had to find ways to increase the Fire element in his makeup. Pitta is Fire. Vatta and Kapha = Spacey and Heavy/slow.

If you knew him or studied him you would have found many clues to see this.

_"Ayurveda uses alcoholic beverages called Madya,[41] which are said to adjust the doshas by increasing Pitta and reducing Vatta and Kapha.

Fire. Pittas have a powerful intellect and a strong ability to concentrate. When they’re in balance, they are good decision makers, teachers, and speakers. They are precise, sharp-witted, direct, and often outspoken.

The “light” quality (of excess Vatta) may manifest itself as giving you a lanky physique but excess lightness may manifest as being underweight, having muscle wasting, light bones, insomnia, or feeling “spacey” or insecure.

The main qualities of kapha are unctuous, cool, heavy, slow, smooth, soft, and stable. It is also dense, cloudy, and viscous. So, having a kapha-predominant prakriti means that these qualities express themselves generously throughout your mental, emotional, and physical make up. You may find them reflected in your strengths and weaknesses."_

Another clue:
Pungent, bitter, and astringent tastes increase vata by increasing its drying and cooling qualities. An example of the pungent taste is chili peppers. Bitter and astringent tastes are common in most leafy greens and many herbs.

LOL

I am not an alcoholic, alcohol for breakfast - medicinal purposes.

Eh ma ho!

LOL

Are the words self delusion, gullible and [insert common sense of choice] approppriate Truth Seekers?

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I like many of his teachings but knowing some about Ayurveda myself I can't really get on board with alcohol as medicine, especially for an alcoholic who immersed himself in some really awful behaviors (whether they were due to his excessive drinking or otherwise). Ayurveda is interesting and I use some of its wisdom myself. But it has limitations as well, and a person dealing with the level of alcoholism CTR did is a person with a lot of mental baggage. a lot of problems he was not appropriately dealing with. This went far beyond him being simply a vata dosha. That is too similar to telling people dealing with severe depression that they should just eat more light vegetables. It is not only unhelpful but harmful. People who are ill need more than a change in diet, though i can agree that for many it is an excellent thing to include as a major overhaul to overall health. But you don't treat addiction and depression and other mental disorders with extra greens or ghee.

lobsterJeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2018

This article talks about the practice of 'pure view' (explained in the article slightly) as a practice meanwhile others around you are screwing up. So it explains how to have that type of view or practice in a world of people screwing up.

It doesn't talk about Ayurveda which is something I hadn't ever heard explained.

https://www.lionsroar.com/when-the-teacher-fs-up-whats-a-buddhist-to-do/

lobster
  • Teachers are not allowed the luxury of a screw up ... unless they are being protected by those, usually senior students, who should know better ... Both parties need to 'fess up rather than facilitate and excuse ...

Sadly at the point of disquiet it is often too late. :3

All teachers/people screw up. There are no perfect teachers. No perfect students. No perfect lives. Even the truth is dukkha ...
    https://cundi.weebly.com/crazies.html

Hozan