Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

good news from Bali?

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited March 2018 in General Banter

Please excuse my laziness: I simply don't want to retype what I wrote in my blog this morning:

Not least because they are the oldest kids on the religious block, I have to concede that I have a soft spot in my heart for the Hindus. Hindus have been around the block that other, less-adult religions continue to circle like dogs chasing their tails. Hindus are willing to laugh. They have a lot of bling, just like any other spiritual persuasion, so my skepticisms are not entirely laid to rest, but still, if the Hindus suggest, I am likely to listen, however briefly.

"Now the largely-Hindu Bali has gotten the phone companies to agree to shut down media access to mark the "day of silence," a day on which the new year is recognized.
(AP) "The head of the Bali office of Indonesia’s Ministry of Communications, Nyoman Sujaya, said Tuesday that all phone companies have agreed to shut down the mobile internet for 24 hours during “Nyepi,” a day marking New Year on the predominantly Hindu island.
"That means smartphones won’t connect to the internet, shutting off access to social media sites such as Facebook and Instagram and instant messaging apps.
“Let’s rest a day, free from the internet to feel the calm of the mind,” said Gusti Ngurah Sudiana, head of the Indonesian Hinduism Society. “Many Hindu people are addicted to gadgets,” he said. “I hope during Nyepi they can be introspective.”"
[Complete article: https://thebrunswicknews.com/ap/international/bali-to-shush-social-media-for-day-of-silence/article_c0a87604-8291-5a8b-8b97-2ba54fb5f75f.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=user-share]

There are some exceptions -- hospitals, cops, etc. -- but to declare a holiday from electronic addictions is ... well, it makes me feel some sort of cosmic relief. At least someone is trying to reconfigure restless and dissatisfied minds. It's just one day, so the penance is hardly unendurable: Shut up for a while.

I get a sense of the scritchy-scratchies when I think of an institutionalized, blanket ruling, but still the allure of just putting a cork in it for a while ... what a good idea. There may be blowback and stumbling and yes-but's ... and still I like it.

Shut up for a while.

SnakeskinBunkslobster

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I think this would be great, honestly. And I think a lot of people are game. Corporations not as much but tough noogies :lol: Dark Sky groups have had luck with shutting down lights in various areas to let the night sky actually be visible. I think people are craving a different connection, many just don't know what to do about it. Of course, if the Hindus (or anyone else) suggested this in the US it'd not be taken to kindly. I always thought one of those major implosions to the power grid would do us some good (obviously with some major issues, but just sayin')

• @karasti, you seem to be in a rather anarchistic mood today. :lol:

karasti
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@Snakeskin My day started with my pet ferret pooping into my shirt pocket, which got all over my phone and then down my pants leg. Let's just say it hasn't gotten better since then, so implosions seem like a good idea ;):lol:

Snakeskinperson
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Damn. Don't you just hate it when your pet ferret poops all over you? God, I hate that.
    (Except I don't own a ferret, but I get the idea....)

karastilobsterKundo
  • We haz plan?

karastiKundoCarameltail
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@genkaku said:
    Please excuse my laziness: I simply don't want to retype what I wrote in my blog this morning:

Not least because they are the oldest kids on the religious block, I have to concede that I have a soft spot in my heart for the Hindus. Hindus have been around the block that other, less-adult religions continue to circle like dogs chasing their tails. Hindus are willing to laugh. They have a lot of bling, just like any other spiritual persuasion, so my skepticisms are not entirely laid to rest, but still, if the Hindus suggest, I am likely to listen, however briefly.

"Now the largely-Hindu Bali has gotten the phone companies to agree to shut down media access to mark the "day of silence," a day on which the new year is recognized.
    (AP) "The head of the Bali office of Indonesia’s Ministry of Communications, Nyoman Sujaya, said Tuesday that all phone companies have agreed to shut down the mobile internet for 24 hours during “Nyepi,” a day marking New Year on the predominantly Hindu island.
    "That means smartphones won’t connect to the internet, shutting off access to social media sites such as Facebook and Instagram and instant messaging apps.
    “Let’s rest a day, free from the internet to feel the calm of the mind,” said Gusti Ngurah Sudiana, head of the Indonesian Hinduism Society. “Many Hindu people are addicted to gadgets,” he said. “I hope during Nyepi they can be introspective.”"
    [Complete article: https://thebrunswicknews.com/ap/international/bali-to-shush-social-media-for-day-of-silence/article_c0a87604-8291-5a8b-8b97-2ba54fb5f75f.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=user-share]

There are some exceptions -- hospitals, cops, etc. -- but to declare a holiday from electronic addictions is ... well, it makes me feel some sort of cosmic relief. At least someone is trying to reconfigure restless and dissatisfied minds. It's just one day, so the penance is hardly unendurable: Shut up for a while.

I get a sense of the scritchy-scratchies when I think of an institutionalized, blanket ruling, but still the allure of just putting a cork in it for a while ... what a good idea. There may be blowback and stumbling and yes-but's ... and still, I like it.

Shut up for a while.

This is similar to the concept of Shabbat in Judaism - but Shabbat is every Friday night ot Saturday night. The idea is for 25 hours, you take time out of the everyday and spend that time connecting to G-d, being present with family and your spiritual path. Outside of Israel, it's a personal choice. In Israel, everything closes during that time period - except for emergency services. The difference is that nothing like cell services are cut off by the govt.

I like the concept of Shabbat. Religious beliefs aside, I think it's a good thing for most people to have regular breaks from online life, work and daily pressures to recentre, focus and take care of themselves.

_ /\ _

CarameltaillobsterSnakeskin