Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sitting Comfortably ...

From another thread:

When your ass goes numb on the cushion, it doesn't feel like such a smart ass.

Are we sitting comfortably? Fidget meditation?

We have many niggles, which the samsaric mind latches on to and enlarges to monster proportions ...
This might be very apparant during sitting. Relax. Let go. Accept. Heard that before?

For me, many phases and the gradual fading of outer focus. Meanwhile ...

What is your sitting niggle and cure?

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2018

I usually do 10 minute sessions so not much discomfort for those. Posture is something I check in with initially like noticing the feeling of the floor.

I do meditation alone at home so I am used to small movements or sounds that I probably wouldn't be able to do if I were in a group or at least I would feel more inhibited. But the movements usually happen when I don't notice what I am doing. And then I might notice and think 'oh good thing I'm not in a group'.

• I used to visit a temple most days and spend my time there. If not engaged in formal practice or helping out, ten minute sessions in the meditation hall were very helpful.

Ten minutes is a good time. Long enough to visit hell for beginners, not so long that sado-masochistic bliss outs numb us into 'experiences' ...

My early meditations were all explorations of exterior and interior landscaping. So useful to have monastic, retreat, youtube instruction ...

The Christians describe it well ...
    Psalm 46:10
    Be still, and know that I am COD (Cash On Delivery) o:)

• JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

"I have become comfortably numb." -Pink Floyd

Snakeskinelizabetlilian
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@lobster said:

Perseverance with a smile ( that is, smiling on the inside :) )

lobsterVastmind
  • JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

Or should I say... My buns have become comfortably numb.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

The real experts in sitting are babies, they always look so happy...

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Kerome said:
    The real experts in sitting are babies, they always look so happy...

And the Japanese.
    They can sit on the floor, on lotus and semi-lotus, or just kneeling for seemingly ages...

• As my practice is a bit different, I usually find a chair. For want of a better term, my meditation is a chanting meditation. After recitation of portions of the 2nd and 16th chapters of the Lotus,Sutra, I, by choice, do my Nam myoho renge kyo as much as 40 to 60 minutes at a time. As I'm an elder person (whatever that means), I admit I have the time to take the time.
    Peace to all.

Hozanlobster
  • @lobster said:

Starting out, I worried about my knees. A stretching routine alleviated those concerns. Turns out the real niggle is cured by a little dehydration. :p

• Lee82Lee82 Veteran

"then we shall begin..."

• Bodily turmoils turn into distant memories eventually

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

My niggle is that after ten or fifteen minutes I realize I’ve started slouching. Then I wonder what the right response is: do I correct my posture, or accept it as it is? Which is more “Buddhist”?

• @adamcrossley, I correct it. I figure it's Buddhist to abandon hinderences in the mind and the body. So, slouching would be a physical manifestation of dullness, too rigid, agitation. Correcting posture then becomes abandoning the respective hinderence the posture expresses. Plus, I know after another 15 minutes, it's gonna start hurting. :p

• I've stopped sitting meditation completely, and only do meditation in action.

Meditation no longer feels contrived or forced.

lobsterVastmind
  • adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

Controversial. What made you stop? The contrived-ness of it?

• At 8 months pregnant I can't sit still for more than 5 minutes before I have to go to the bathroom. So now I meditate lying down, which is ineffective because I can't lie down for more than 5 minutes before I have to go to the bathroom.
    V problematic to my daily practice..

Snakeskinkando
  • @elizabethlilian

Have you tried 'sitting on the bathroom throne meditation', you can finish with a relaxing 5 minute sit or lay down ... o:)

Here to help ?

elizabetlilian
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@elizabetlilian said:
    At 8 months pregnant I can't sit still for more than 5 minutes before I have to go to the bathroom. So now I meditate lying down, which is ineffective because I can't lie down for more than 5 minutes before I have to go to the bathroom.
    V problematic to my daily practice..

Walking meditation is good and TNH has several books on different ways to meditate while accomplishing chores, errands or even the most mundane tasks.

lobsterelizabetlilianSnakeskin
  • @federica Thank you! I've seen a few of those TNH books in my local store, might have to pick one up. Any suggestions of which to read in particular? Luckily as a mother I am generally spending my day doing mundane tasks so the opportunity to practice is always there.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

"Peace is Every Step", and "Present Moment, Wonderful Moment!", are the two which spring readily to mind. I think you will find priceless information and instruction therein... :)

• @federica Thank you very, very much :)

No problem. They're lovely books. You almost don't want to put them down, but if you're doing walking meditation, I'd recommend doing so....

Snakeskin
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited March 2018

@satcittananda said:
    I've stopped sitting meditation completely, and only do meditation in action.

Meditation no longer feels contrived or forced.

Ditto. Well said. B)