Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Breakfast with Buddha (Roland Merullo)

Hi all,

I really enjoyed the trilogy by Roland Merullo, the first one starts with "Breakfast with Buddha".
Quite apart of whether it is a true rendition of buddhism or not, experts may wish to comment on that or not, but I am not interested in that; I just enjoyed the book for what it is, fiction, the characters, the messages.
If anyone knows these books, can they recommend anything similar?
Again it is just for my reading, not trying to pursue enlightenment or read hard-core buddhist philosophy etc.

Regards,

Pensum

Shoshin

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You might like to try our recommended reading thread...

ThePensum
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

There is a decent article on Wikipedia about the book, for those like myself who are unfamiliar with it...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakfast_with_Buddha

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

A sequel, Lunch with Buddha, was released in Fall [Autumn, to us Brits] 2012.

I have tea with Yama every day.... ;)

• I don't know those books, but the title reminded me of Richard Bach.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I quite enjoyed this book....

The story of two Buddhist monks who put their faith to the test and walk across the countryside with nothing but their robes and alms bowls, refusing to touch money. With some wise and often amusing encounters they offer a glimpse into a completely different way of life. Surviving purely at the hands of strangers, welcomed, ignored and sometimes threatened, they touch upon the lives of many, and move the hearts and minds of a few. Illustrated with coloured drawings and based on very real and true experiences gathered over years of direct experience, Woven together into episodes in a young monk s life training with his teacher.

• cheers all... and who knew there was a recommended reading thread, duh me!