Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Heavenly Beings and Other Universes

Are humans more able to achieve Nirvana than any other life form, can heavenly beings achieve this as well?
Is Earth special to have had Buddha here or do you think other universes might have had a Buddha also?

Thanks

Comments

• Welcome to New Buddhist. B)

Heavenly Beings are ...
    https://www.lionsroar.com/what-is-papanca/

Why do you you ask? How does it help? How many angels can dance on the point of a pin? You will find the answer on Wikipedia.

personnubuddh4
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@nubuddh4 said:
    Are humans more able to achieve Nirvana than any other life form,

We cannot answer this question, because we have no right to speak on behalf of other life forms. I would suggest you make a list of all other life forms and ask them individually.

heavenly beings achieve this as well?

Which heavenly beings are you referring to?
    Again, make a list. You may need to make official appointments. I understand they get quite busy at times.

Is Earth special to have had Buddha here or do you think other universes might have had a Buddha also?

What, like parallel universes, or something? Why does this matter, exactly?
    I mean, what difference does it make to you and your practice, right here, right now?
    That's the question I always ask myself when my poor little brain has nothing better to do on a dull, rainy Sunday afternoon, than to ask weird, disconnected, totally random and frankly completely unanswerable questions.

Thanks

Hey, no problem! here to help! Welcome to the forum, btw! :D

• SnakeskinSnakeskin Veteran
    edited April 2018

@nubuddh4 said:

From the perspective of the Pali discourses, yes, humans have a balance of pleasure and pain conducive to the development of virtue and wisdom.

can heavenly beings achieve this as well?

Some. Once-returners, free of attachment to sensual desires, are reborn into the highest realms of the fine material world, where they may become arahants.

The pragmatic aspects of those two answers are the development of virtue and wisdom and the cultivation of disenchantment with sensual desires. The answers are derived from here: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sagga/loka.html. It has a table of the 31 planes of existence with reference links.

shrug In theory, though, I'd think the possibility to discover the Dhamma would exist wherever intelligence does. In the Nagara Sutta the Buddha calls his awakening to the eightfold path a discovery: "I saw an ancient path, an ancient road, traveled by the Rightly Self-awakened Ones of former times."

Jeroennubuddh4BunksJason
  • nubuddh4nubuddh4 Unknown New
    edited April 2018

@federica said:

@nubuddh4 said:

We cannot answer this question, because we have no right to speak on behalf of other life forms. I would suggest you make a list of all other life forms and ask them individually.

heavenly beings achieve this as well?

Which heavenly beings are you referring to?
    Again, make a list. You may need to make official appointments. I understand they get quite busy at times.

What, like parallel universes, or something? Why does this matter, exactly?
    I mean, what difference does it make to you and your practice, right here, right now?
    That's the question I always ask myself when my poor little brain has nothing better to do on a dull, rainy Sunday afternoon, than to ask weird, disconnected, totally random and frankly completely unanswerable questions.

Thanks

Hey, no problem! here to help! Welcome to the forum, btw! :D

Why you answer with questions? Although you did not utter a word, your written responses didn't come across as kind like your avatar suggests nor did it improve the silence. No response from you would have been better and more enlightening. O.o

@Snakeskin said:

@nubuddh4 said:

From the perspective of the Pali discourses, yes, humans have a balance of pleasure and pain conducive to the development of virtue and wisdom.

can heavenly beings achieve this as well?

Some. Once-returners, free of attachment to sensual desires, are reborn into the highest realms of the fine material world, where they may become arahants.

The pragmatic aspects of those two answers are the development of virtue and wisdom and the cultivation of disenchantment with sensual desires. The answers are derived from here: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sagga/loka.html. It has a table of the 31 planes of existence with reference links.

shrug In theory, though, I'd think the possibility to discover the Dhamma would exist wherever intelligence does. In the Nagara Sutta the Buddha calls his awakening to the eightfold path a discovery: "I saw an ancient path, an ancient road, traveled by the Rightly Self-awakened Ones of former times."

Thank you, insightful and complete answer I was looking for as a person new to Buddhism.

@lobster said:
    Welcome to New Buddhist. B)

Heavenly Beings are ...
    https://www.lionsroar.com/what-is-papanca/

Why do you you ask? How does it help? How many angels can dance on the point of a pin? You will find the answer on Wikipedia.

Cause I thought Buddhists believe in heaven realms and if beings are born into realms only temporarily, even in heaven, are these beings distracted with happiness, peace, and many pleasures to learn of a more ultimate truth?

Also thought Buddha wanted to release all beings from suffering so I thought that means there weren't other teachers elsewhere.

I thought Buddha said there were innumerable universes and beings so I was wondering if people born on Earth as human are lucky to have known Buddhism.

• @nubuddh4 said:

Cause I thought Buddhists believe in heaven realms and if beings are born into realms only temporarily, even in heaven, are these beings distracted with happiness, peace, and many pleasures to learn of a more ultimate truth?

Some don't believe in heaven, hell realms or reincarnation. Some believe we are constantly being reborn into different mind conditions, some hellish, some heavenly. Ultimate truth may only be possible for an ultimate being. Many Buddhists are atheistic, therefore ultimate truth is limited to overcoming subjective limitations/karma ...

Also thought Buddha wanted to release all beings from suffering so I thought that means there weren't other teachers elsewhere.

It is possible to release from dukkha/suffering here and now. That is usually the first step.

I thought Buddha said there were innumerable universes and beings so I was wondering if people born on Earth as human are lucky to have known Buddhism.

If we are lucky enough to practice, we learn to focus on our and others well being. ??

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Well, @nubuddh4 I was attempting to inject a little humour into the discussion, because actually, we're quite big on that. Humour, and not taking ourselves too seriously.
    But if you leave aside any funny stuff or intended jocularity to lighten the mood, my responses are actually quite valid.

You're asking questions which are imponderable (not my words, the Buddha's) and which waste your time.
    Because nobody has any clue as to how much time they have left.
    Rather than ask questions which could lead to endless and distracting debate, it's best to focus on the here, now and Kamma you create.

I'm sorry if my humour is not your thing.
    I'm generally very even-tempered and patient. As a Moderator, I like to soften the blow of all the deeply serious and mentally taxing matters we so often come across.
    In every situation, if a little humour is possible, then smile.
    It's all detritus in an ephemeral world.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hey @nubuddh4 - you may find this useful. Sets out the 31 realms of existence in early Buddhism, a description of each along with how one can be reborn in each one.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sagga/loka.html

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited April 2018

@nubuddh4 said:
    Are humans more able to achieve Nirvana than any other life form, can heavenly beings achieve this as well?

It's supposedly a blessing to be human for that reason. However, it seems to me that the more self aware we are, the more divisive we tend to be. We have a greater ability for overcoming the illusion because the illusion is stronger in us.

No mud no lotus I guess.

Aside from the mind imagining the gods, do the gods exist?

Other big bangs may spawn other aspects of Buddha but I would tend to see all world's, all spheres of existence and all big bangs as one universe.

Just my two cents.