Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Vipassana basics

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I came across this nice article in Tricycle that I wanted to share, I’ve rarely seen the gradually deepening process of vipassana meditation so clearly explained. And it helps to know what you’re trying to do.

https://tricycle.org/magazine/vipassana-meditation/

In Vipassana mediation, the meditator uses his concentration as a tool by which his awareness can chip away at the wall of illusion that cuts him off from the living light of reality. It is a gradual process of ever-increasing awareness into the inner workings of reality itself. It takes years, but one day the meditator chisels through that wall and tumbles into the presence of light. The transformation is complete. It’s called Liberation, and it’s permanent. Liberation is the goal of all Buddhist systems of practice. But the routes to the attainment of that end are quite diverse.

THE OLDEST BUDDHIST MEDITATION PRACTICE

Vipassana is the oldest of Buddhist meditation practices. The method comes directly from the Satipatthana Sutta [Foundations of Mindfulness], a discourse attributed to the Buddha himself. Vipassana is a direct and gradual cultivation of mindfulness or awareness. It proceeds piece by piece over a period of years. The student’s attention is carefully directed to an intense examination of certain aspects of his own existence. The meditator is trained to notice more and more of his own flowing life experience.

Shoshinyagr

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It feels meditative to just read it....!

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Thanks @Kerome - my sister in law out of the blue told me on the weekend she's started practicing Vipassana meditation so I'll send her this as a bit of inspiration...