Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Data Update

BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe DiemSamsara Veteran

I was wondering if the heading with our names and data could not be updated to include links to FB and Instagram accounts.
I did post my twitter address but seldom use it, and I know many people these days also connect through other media rather than Twitter.

I also wonder why the "Location" option is repeated twice.
Just wondering...

Hozan

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

One for @Linc, I think.

BuddhadragonHozan
  • Unhealthy, most definitely. It is click bait.

In other words commercial data collection, profiling and analysis to sell your being to the highest and lowest. Not benign. Well said @Linc ...
    http://listverse.com/2017/05/29/top-10-disturbing-facts-about-facebook/

BuddhadragonZenshinHozanCarameltail
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I had no idea, @Linc, but thank you for the info.

Everyone I know seems to be more keen on passing me their Instagram adress lately, and I myself have one, so I wondered why the only option available here was posting a Twitter account link.
    Now I know.

In the macroscheme of things, I guess anyone who dips long enough in any online site has their soul sold to the devil already.
    Even if we Buddhists do not believe in a soul <3

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

@Linc said:
    I choose not to allow Facebook (which owns Instagram) data on this or any site I run. I regard it as both a competitor and unhealthy nuisance.

Personally I'm not on twitter, facebook, whatsapp or any of that stuff. I'm active on a couple of Buddhist, mental health and gaming forums, I don't see the need to be constantly bombarded by electronic updates. I use insight timer on my phone but I usually have data turned off on it. If you want to get hold of me electronically send me an e-mail or give me a ring. I find this obsession with social media unhealthy.

HozanFoibleFullCarameltail
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

I agree with Linc.
    I would not want to link this site to social media.

edited February 2018

Just to be clear: nobody is making a cause for social media interaction.

Among the data we have the option to present about ourselves in our heading, there is space for a link to a twitter account.
    I just wondered why the choice was limited to twitter and not to other media accounts.
    @Linc has given me the answer as to why he prefers for it not to be that way.

Now we all know the reason.
    That's much it.

Hozan
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

@DhammaDragon I don't think anyone interpreted your request as an endorsement of their platforms. Folks just like to vent a bit, and that's fine.

I see stuff like this every day. Twitter is no better, it just allows greater anonymity.

You can report the most clear-cut abuse possible and you'll get replies like this:

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes, I have vastly narrowed down my use of facebook, and have greatly limited what I can see. I also avoid any input to all these ridiculous clickbait posts, dealing with injustice, animal cruelty and 'sign the petition'.
    I have come across posts like the one above, of a similar nature on Fb. Heck, I have pretty much received similar comments, hence my drastic withdrawal.
    Reporting such posts on Fb garners similar responses from so-called 'moderators' (Ha ruddy ha) who frankly couldn't care less as long as the money rolls in.
    "It's free and it always will be" is a rather ironic statement, given that people sacrifice a lot more than anything money could ever possibly buy.

I underwent the worst pathological harassment possible in a tiny app like Insight Timer, and just because my harassment was not of a sexual nature, the developers would not bother to help me.

They shrugged me off with a simple "We don't arbitrate within groups."

I am not sure I expect any kind of justice from any media group anymore.

lobster
  • I am not sure I expect any kind of justice from any media group anymore.

I am sure - not to expect justice from:

• social media
    • people
    • groups
    • spiritual people and groups
    • Buddhists
    • this world or any other
    • in this life
    • cosmic god justice,
    • karma from previous or carried foward life merit

However I am an adult and dispense my greatest wisdom/just behaviour, as well as possible to myself and others ... ???

... Yep one more to add to the above list:
    I do not expect justice from myself to myself at all times, under all circumstances ... Ay caramba! ?

PS. I got banned from the Beginners Mind zen group on Insight Timer [shrug]??‍♀️
    I iz heresy - Dogen would be pleased ... LOL ?

BuddhadragonHozan
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I couldn't say enough bad about FB.
    These past couple of weeks, I hang around a lot on Twitter.
    For about 2 months before that, it was YouTube.
    I'd mentioned somewhere that I used Twitter to pass on what I thought were important petitions to sign. Now, I mostly ignore and delete them when they arrive in my emails.

BuddhadragonCarameltailHozan
    edited February 2018

A ) When moderating any group, there are occasionally hard decisions to make. Abdicating responsibility in that moment guarantees failure.

-and-

B ) Companies are generally very bad at empowering employees to make hard decisions or providing adequate frameworks in which to make them.

It's a recipe for disaster.

Nirvana
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Not disagreeing with the choice, just commenting in general based on my own experience. I find Twitter worse. I find the bullying and abuse and misuse of anon. accounts worse. I find their policies for managing such things worse. So far, I cannot control my twitter feed the way I can control my FB feed using browser extensions to remove things based on keywords etc. So I do use Twitter, but less. 99% of my FB use though is family and close (but long distance) friends and a couple of groups that work well in that way. FB leaves a lot to be desired in their management of reporting abusive posts and users, definitely. I reported someone for blatant and obvious racism (threatening death to people of various races) and they found it didn't violate standards, but their bots that watch groups report things as inappropriate (I admin 3 local swap sites on FB) when they are things like an armchair, or a horse statue. :confounded:

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Out of all the platforms I prefer Google+. Unfortunately the majority of sheeple won't leave Farcebook. I'd cancel my account in a heartbeat of my friends and family would use G+, even it were only once a fortnight.

Hozan
    edited March 2018

@karasti said:
    I find Twitter worse. I find the bullying and abuse and misuse of anon. accounts worse.

I absolutely understand how that can be.

I have a lot of things working in my favor on Twitter:

• I'm a white male with an avatar announcing that fact.
    • I'm not on any haters' radar.
    • I have friends on there.
    • I do not allow it to send me any notifications or interrupt my day.
    • I basically only follow people I want to be friends with and block anyone who says something sideways.

And still every day I am prepared for it to turn on me.

lobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I've tried Google + and just do not like the format. I still have it, and I keep it available, I have about 6 people I know who use it, some regularly. But the format just doesn't stick with me for some reason.

@Linc I'm good with twitter when I avoid reading comments. I try to avoid comments entirely on social media (or news articles). So when I am just cruising my feed, I'm good. I have a few athletes (runners, mostly), along with some yoga and Buddhist folks, a few nutrition people I follow and those are usually pretty uplifting. But man, the abuse that takes place in comments is just so sad. I follow Lindsey Vonn because she's from my state, and I enjoy her fortitude and positivity, but when she didn't get gold in the olympics? The abuse she took from some, wow. :anguished: I know it's not a real representation of humanity really, but it's just sad that some people entertain that type of state of mind, even if they are just trolling. I guess I don't understand trolling myself. It doesn't make anything better, quite the opposite. I have a few online friends who do this and I just don't get it.

I still find FB and Instagram useful vehicles to communicate with all the friends I have scattered all over the world and to reach new people.
    Instagram, especially, seems to be extremely popular lately.
    I have a private account for family and friends, and an open Dhammadragon account.

I do not like the format of Google Plus and I don't get their format and newsfeed at all.
    I keep receiving notifications for stupid stuff I never subscribed to in the first place and information on people I never showed any interest in at all any time.
    Besides, less than five of my friends are there and no-one cares to keep the page updated.

I am not convinced with Twitter somehow.

In none of the above did I ever suffer any form of abuse or important problem that I had to report, so I am not sure how they handle those issues.
    But for a tiny app, security and unfair handling of delicate situations is pretty disappointing in Insight Timer.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I use Facebook to keep in touch with family and friends but wouldn't get my news or fill of opinion there, lmao.

There are some decent groups and some really cool pages that share new developments and the good news network. I get Carl Sagan quotes and scientific reports through there. I also use my real name obviously and that would be a concern because although many of you are dear to me, you never know who is reading these threads.

Buddhadragon

Just to let you all know, I'm getting a lot of 'spam-bot' applications to join the forum, from a website called 'coloncleanse[dot]com. If anyone thinks I should let them in, I'll be asking questions later.

That's all. Thanks.

karastiBunksHozan
  • ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

@federica said:
    Just to let you all know, I'm getting a lot of 'spam-bot' applications to join the forum, from a website called 'coloncleanse[dot]com. If anyone thinks I should let them in, I'll be asking questions later.

That's all. Thanks.

You know, I have been a bit bored lately. And who doesn't want a clean colon?

federicaHozan

@DhammaDragon said:
    I underwent the worst pathological harassment possible in a tiny app like Insight Timer, and just because my harassment was not of a sexual nature, the developers would not bother to help me.

I am sorry you've had to deal with that harassment. You seem to be a very nice person, If they start pulling that stuff again, you can always threaten that I will start prattling on about Dungeons and Dragons or Pro Wresting. That generally makes people lose interest.

HozanBuddhadragon
  • HozanHozan Veteran
    edited April 2018

@federica said:

That's all. Thanks.

Is it for real @federica or just a load of shit?

ajhayes

Good question. I'll sit on that for a while and work out the answer on paper....

ajhayes

Ha ha! Poo jokes!

Hozan

Scatological humour....

ajhayes
    edited April 2018

@ajhayes said:

@DhammaDragon said:

I am sorry you've had to deal with that harassment. You seem to be a very nice person, If they start pulling that stuff again, you can always threaten that I will start prattling on about Dungeons and Dragons or Pro Wresting. That generally makes people lose interest.

I have been away from the forum for several months.
    Thank you for the compliment, @ajhayes, though I am not sure that I am that nice of a person, anyway, lol...

My stalker has resurfaced again on Instagram.
    She has an official account, plus a second, indeterminate one.
    So, though I have blocked her official account, she managed to post some nasty comments on one of my posts a couple of days ago.
    I have blocked her and reported this account, but she could seemingly change names and resurface over and over again.
    I have changed my name to make it a bit more difficult for her to find me.

But this woman is a lost nutcase.
    The world is so big, she could stick to her Instagram corner, yet she chooses to bug me again and again.
    I wonder if I should fear for my safety.

• @DhammaDragon said:

LOL

No. Trolls want you to fear them, respond, react and disempower yourself. Tsk, tsk, you knew that ... surely ...
    The easiest and safest response is to treat them like spam. Delete and ignore.

The moderators here won't let me have a pet troll to play with. They immediately ban the trolls IP address (internet unique location source). That is a good call. Just so you know they are suffering individuals, their only sense of 'power' is what you give them ...

Nirvanaperson

anyone playing with pet troll, is gonna get fired up. (You see what I did there...? :D )

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Well, hey, it’s from Trolls... :)

@lobster said:

@DhammaDragon said:

LOL

No. Trolls want you to fear them, respond, react and disempower yourself. Tsk, tsk, you knew that ... surely ...
    The easiest and safest response is to treat them like spam. Delete and ignore.

The moderators here won't let me have a pet troll to play with. They immediately ban the trolls IP address (internet unique location source). That is a good call. Just so you know they are suffering individuals, their only sense of 'power' is what you give them ...

If my stalker was on this site, I would gladly hand her over to you, @lobster.

Unfortunately, she's not here, and beyond trolling, but something more dangerous.

Trolling is a very innocent word to describe what she does.

But yes, I am giving her exactly what she does not like: indifference, no reaction, blocking.

At some point, my tactic should work...

lobster