Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Supporting Sports Teams

Hello I am very new to Buddhis, so any basic resources to get started would be great, thank you.
My question regards supporting sports teams, as I love supporting Liverpool, and England at tbe World Cup etc, is this still okay while trying to practice Buddhism? I wouldn't want to give this up as I find sport so fun and enjoyable, so any tips on how to incorporate this would be great, thank you.

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2018

Yes, but only if you're a Chelsea or Leicester fan.

Seriously though, one can enjoy things, just try not to get too wrapped up into them and become angry when they lose or haughty when they win, etc. Have a healthy distance from them, try to enjoy watching without becoming attached and enjoy the sport for what it is.

Shoshinelcra1goSnakeskin
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Pff, it’s prettty easy to let go of supporting any of the Aussie teams right now.....we’re either losing or cheating (or both!)

Back to your question though. You’ll find as you tread further along this path these things will naturally start to have less significance in your life. Don’t try and over intellectualise it and drop things before you’re ready. As some teachers much wiser than me have said, “Luke, when the right causes and conditions come together, it will happen.” And they’re right...

personSnakeskin
  • I watch sports and it is truly the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. It is interesting as a Buddhist to just watch how my mind reacts.

Snakeskin
  • TsultrimTsultrim Hawaii Veteran

Oh no, did you say the world cup? I better take my pills, i can feel the depression coming on again.

federicaShoshinSnakeskin
  • This team can probably advise you on your nearest supporters club (Sangha)
    http://www.thebuddhistsociety.org/

Buddha! Buddha! Buddha!
    Goal!

Snakeskin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@WesternBuddhism said:
    My question regards supporting sports teams, as I love supporting Liverpool, and England at the World Cup etc, is this still okay while trying to practice Buddhism?

My viewpoint is that we all experience Buddhism whether we like to or not... the fact that there is attachment, craving, suffering is indubitably true, except that most people do their best to ignore it and are not trying to gain insight into their mind and internal processes.

Does that mean that we should not celebrate, be joyful, dance, sing, love... even support sports teams? Certainly not. We should do all the things that make us happy, in limited doses so we do not suffer addiction, and whilst keeping in mind that this too shall pass and we should be ready and able to let it go at any time.

For me, that altered the perception of some pleasures. It made them less intense, less gripping, and gave me a quality of equanimity which stayed with me. This happened almost by itself as I understood more of the buddha’s teachings. It’s just that insight and realisation change your experience.

Snakeskin
  • adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

@Kerome said:
    We should do all the things that make us happy, in limited doses so we do not suffer addiction, and whilst keeping in mind that this too shall pass and we should be ready and able to let it go at any time.

This is it for me. Buddhism isn't a list of rules; it's a source of guidance. Use it only as much as it proves useful. Find out whether your attachment to sports teams is causing you suffering, and then react accordingly.

When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are unskillful; these qualities are blameworthy; these qualities are criticized by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering' — then you should abandon them.
    - Kalama Sutta

SnakeskinWesternBuddhism
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@WesternBuddhism said:
    so any tips on how to incorporate this would be great, thank you.

Don't constantly drink beer the whole game. :p

SnakeskinShoshin
  • The teachings of the Buddha are multifaceted. He tailored them to different people at different stages of spiritual development and levels of commitment. Most teachings he directed to mendicants, while others to lay practitioners. Even in those classes are broad ranges of teachings. Drawing the dichotomy of monastic and lay is a good way to begin sorting them.

A lay practitioner doesn’t give up lay life. Instead, one should work toward incorporating Buddhist practice into their life. Traditionally, one would incorporate respect and reverence for the Triple Gem, commitment to the 5 precepts as training rules and the cultivation of the sublime attitudes of goodwill, compassion, sympathetic joy and equanimity.

All these rest on mindfulness. That, above all, should be developed and weaved into life as it already is. Mindfulness may be developed first in mediation. For that you might find helpful the free ebook, With Each and Every Breath: A Guide to Meditation by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.