Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to eat?

When I was in a Buddhist cult, we were taught, 'Food is medicine'. Which is true.

As we know in the higher understanding, nutrition includes thoughts, emotional munching and spiritual sipping/gulping or in my case drowning in fish ... I also have frozen kangeroo back home. Yep Aldi Supermarket sometimes have gourmet marsupials. ;)

However I digress before the main topic.
Reverence and mindfulness for our precious bodies intake.

Here are my tips. Be very glad to hear yours:

• Do not exclude. Include more. For example water/herbal tea is very filling before a meal.
  • The western palette is jaded by glut and gut. Add more real food.
  • Sit and eat. Do not multi task eg eating in front of the Google box
  • If you eat alone. Sit with a Buddha. I have many, they are a source of meat. o:)
  • Love your food. It improves the flavour.

https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/superfoods/Pages/what-are-superfoods.aspx

BunksJeffreyVastmindBuddhadragon

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Eliminate all simple carbs. You don't need them, and they are the one food component you can actually entirely do without.

lobsterpersonVastmind
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I do my best to follow Michael Pollan's simple advice, "Eat real food, mostly plants, not too much" and the advice to primarily shop the outside of the supermarket rather than what's in the aisles.

lobsterVastmindadamcrossley
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

How to eat?

In a manner that causes the least amount of suffering. =)

Vastmindlobster
  • ShakShak Veteran

One could simply start with lemon and butter...

lobster
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Except for a glass of lemon water first thing in the morning, I drink only tea.
    A rather recent study upholds that even caffeinated teas do help with rehydration and not the opposite, as it was thought before.

So why drink plain water when one can ingest life-enhancing polyphenols and antioxidants at the whistle of a kettle?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@Shak said:
    One could simply start with lemon and butter...

Yum and fresh dill on fish ... wait ... you meant I should be consuming myself ... ay caramba!

@seeker242 said:

How to eat?

In a manner that causes the least amount of suffering. =)

Sweet.

• Fruit salad with greek yogurt. We use frozen mixed berries quite often.
    • Parsnips, sweet potato (the clue is in the name), pumpkin, carrots ... what else?
    • Best salad dressing? Virgin Olive Oil and lemon juice, fresh 'erb

@Buddhadragon said:
    Except for a glass of lemon water first thing in the morning, I drink only tea.
    A rather recent study upholds that even caffeinated teas do help with rehydration and not the opposite, as it was thought before.

Nice.

So why drink plain water when one can ingest life-enhancing polyphenols and antioxidants at the whistle of a kettle?

:)
    Water is sweet ...

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@lobster sez Reverence and mindfulness for our precious bodies intake.
    Do not exclude. Include more. For example water/herbal tea is very filling before a meal.
    The western palette is jaded by glut and gut. Add more real food.
    Sit and eat. Do not multi task eg eating in front of the Google box
    If you eat alone. Sit with a Buddha. I have many, they are a source of meat.
    Love your food. It improves the flavour."

Some good thoughts there, Lobby.

Im at the time of my life - I guess - where I amaze myself with how mindful I can be - whenever I am at the Google box as you call it, or doing any activity, running in the background are all the settings Ive lived through - home town, out in the sticks, sleep-over with friends where I could hear a lonely train whistle blowing and surrounded by such greenery and freshness in the air - and yet itll all be gone some day. I just like to dwell on and in all the settings Ive ever passed through - the quaint places, the unpleasant places, busy places. Whatever we eat, its here in our time frame - even if it isnt so healthy in the long run for us. Ill continue to enjoy ice pops and gelato along with my real food like pears, apples, broccoli, salad, etc. As long as I have these (mostly) quaint landmarks to think on, the food shes-a great.

lobsterBuddhadragonperson
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Outstanding @silver

Most of us are consumed by our mind. It effects our bodies. In left hand tantra, the nurtured and deconstructed body can altar [sic] the Mined [sic tu]

Really liked your post.

I wonder if anyone can make carrot and parsnip ice cream? Or smoothie popsicles ... or ... probiotic health cake ... [lobster wanders off into the foodie sunset] ...

Junk health food. You heard it here first. ?
    http://www.hellthyjunkfood.com

Buddhadragon
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

favorite dirt food : spinach.saute with garlic..yum. favorite fruit: blueberries.can eat a mouthfull. when i see food what comes to mind,the earth provides. a sense of apreciation is good and beautiful.appriciate our food makes our stomic well.sorry for the bad spelling.

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited May 2018

I had a mango as a snack just now. I love mangos. [edit: sensuality trap, oh noes][I've removed the offending apostrophe].

Anyway, should we perhaps eat things we really dislike, in order to not be caught out by the sensuality of taste? Out with potatoes, in with plain broccoli, miso soup instead of Dahl and so on.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(apostrophe trap....! :lol: )

Jeroen

I quite like miso soup - and it's exceptionally healthy!!
    I like dahl too... and broccoli.... but you know, I never touch potatoes....

I can't think of many things I dislike, and that's the problem... Well done about the ' by the way.... ;)

• lobsterlobster Veteran

I am using the food as medicine methodology (once a Catholic/cultist/health freak always a ... wait ... not always bonded to consuming bullshit ... surely ...)

Today I will mostly be eating homemade muesli.
    http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natural-health/powerful-lesser-known-health-boosting-ingredients-to-integrate-into-your-diet/

Will look into miso again for health, used to have it quite often. Good stock.
    Bought some ground chia seeds and also Brahmi yesterday.
    https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/herbs-and-spices/brahmi.html

Really getting more into herbal teas.

Live long and prosper
    (Traditional Vulcan Dharma greeting)

• herbieherbie Veteran
    edited April 2019

@lobster said:

Simple basic food, I avoid spicy food. I avoid sweet food, no sweets. I avoid eating to much and too often. Intermittent fasting.
    <3