Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Platitudes

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited May 2018 in Buddhism Basics

As we all know, providing platitudes can be self defeating
http://scottberkun.com/2011/what-are-the-most-annoying-platitudes/

However once the self is defeated, even platitudes might be great wisdom. It depends on our capacity to hear and absorb, rather than react and project ...
http://recoveringyogi.com/insightful-or-insipid-a-handy-guide-to-platitudes/

Which are your favs?

Be kind o:)

Vastmindherberto

Comments

• HozanHozan Veteran

Nothing is impossible.
    A platitude while meant to be positive and uplifting can sometimes be annoying.
    Good to challenge our limits but we also need to accept those things which cannot be changed.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I quite like “go with the flow”... for computer programmers this has a double meaning, as ‘flow’ is a particular state of concentration in problem solving where executing the steps of a solution seems to come naturally.

But it’s also kind of true, following the path of least resistance is a good philosophy in many cases in life. Except where the body is concerned, where it definitely seems to be the case that making the body work just expands its future capabilities.

Kundo
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Looking through that list, for the most part they didn't bother me. I wonder if maybe the problem with platitudes is while they generally point to a truism they are universally applicable. So they can be either fit the situation or miss the mark.

The one that does bother me is "Everything happens for a reason". To me that implies some kind of preordained plan. I can agree that everything has a cause or that there is some kind of silver lining to be found or a lesson to be learned in most situations, but those have to do with how we choose to perceive something rather than some kind of objective truth about reality.

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited May 2018

I like platitudes! .....: In the South, we like our one liners....so... learn to live with it. (That one should be on the list, hahaha)

I would never personally use them in a serious situation/conversation with someone, though. That's too insensitive and could go wrong very quickly!

As the OP second link talks about.....sometimes the quotes I see online, give me an eye roll/crack up. ( The irony or contradiction).

lobster

One that I do like a lot is "can't see the forest for the trees"

It's easy to get involved in our world and interests, because that's what we need to do in life, and forget to put it into the larger context so that our concerns get blown out of proportion.

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Thanks every one B)

One of the reasons I ask is to remind ourselves of empty Buddhist platitudes ... for example

• Emptiness is form and Form is emptiness
    • Mu
    • Be Kinder ... actually that may be German Christianity :3

eh ... any more?
    https://speculativenonbuddhism.com/2012/05/09/on-the-faith-of-secular-buddhists/

personHozan
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Which are your favs?

"Different Strokes For Different Folks"

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Make me one with everything.

• satcittanandasatcittananda UK Veteran

Then the point of this thread/tread is there is nothing to achieve

• satcittanandasatcittananda UK Veteran

Why the Alan Watts reference PIC....

• TsultrimTsultrim Hawaii Veteran

@David said:
    Make me one with everything.

_
    I would if i could. An applicable platitude

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@satcittananda said:
    Why the Alan Watts reference PIC....

A classic example of someone talking the talk but not practicing the walk.
    A life in platitudes.

Do we need other pics and finger pointing at moonshine? Nah, actions speak louder than platitudes ...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Buddhism/comments/jt0sy/zen_master_lou_nordstrom_alan_watts_didnt/

Hmm Don't mistake the finger pointing to the moon for the moon

• TsultrimTsultrim Hawaii Veteran

Don't eat the menu for the meal.

Shoshin

@Tsultrim said:
    Don't eat the menu for the meal.

Unless you're really hungry and the menu is made from edible rice paper ;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You two seriously need to get a room.... :D

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@satcittananda said:
    Then the point of this thread/tread is there is nothing to achieve

Perhaps ... that after all is a profound platitude <3

Nothing to achieve, everything to die for ...

In the words of Sid (heart a Buddha):
    “They blame those who remain silent, they blame those who speak much, they blame those who speak in moderation. There is none in the world who is not blamed.”
    http://www.realbuddhaquotes.com/page/2/

• CarameltailCarameltail UK Veteran
    edited May 2018

Its more my own problem and something I should just get over but I thought i'd write about anyway.

I find it annoying when people use the word fair enough when it doesn't really make any sense especially if thats all they say. In many contexts it sounds dissmisive or passive aggresive to me but ofc its more me taking it as problem ;P There are a lot of misused english phrases like basically and to be honest.

I write this here because I think its something interesting to ponder upon and let go of. It is something though that has actually genuinely annoyed me however :/

sometimes small things like this can become bothersome lol

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Fair enough

KundoShoshin

Ha ha! Sorry, I couldn't resist..... =)

I understand where you're coming from.....I get slightly annoyed when people say "I got up at 7am in the morning"

The very fact you've said "am" is enough.....

CarameltailShoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Carameltail , have you seen this thread?

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Fair enough

Sssh!!! You sound like a Collingwood supporter.....

• lobsterlobster Veteran

I spend all my time here engaged in silly ranting [lobster full disclosure] ?

Sadly I am not allowed to keep pet trolls on this forum (they get banned by our zealous moderators) which is fair enough understandable ... ?

One of the best ways of ranting is a blog, diary or posting thoughts ... ??
    https://www.websitetooltester.com/en/blog/best-free-website-builders/

Here is a bit of my earlier ranting for you to do better than ... ?
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/day/2014/05/15

Carameltail
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It is a sign of increasing mindfulness to become aware of the phrases that you are using and to notice that some of them don’t even mean what they say... it is all part of skilful speech and building the right impression to give to your listeners.

Vastmind

@Kundo said:

@Bunks said:
    Fair enough

Ha ha! Go Blues....

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

One that sticks in my craw: "It is what it is."

Yeah, this is definitely an overlap with the other thread ('Platitudes') Am merging threads....

...NOW! :D

• ScottPenScottPen Maryland Veteran

@genkaku said:
    One that sticks in my craw: "It is what it is."

Oh boy. If you were around me your craw would be frequently stuck.

VastmindKundo
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

It's always in the last place you look.

• VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran
    edited May 2018

@lobster said:
    Sadly I am not allowed to keep pet trolls on this forum (they get banned

I can be your pet troll.

But we want me to stay around, so that I can be your pet troll.

So what we'll do is, I wont troll on the forum, and we'll just have a private understanding between the two of us that I am a troll in my secretmost inner essence.

When I was very young, one halloween, my family spiked up my rather red hair into a single column so that I could look like a troll doll. So I have experience, compared to candidates with none.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I am a troll in my secretmost inner essence.

You and me both. Our moderators are very fierce with a zero tolerance policy for certain behavours. Your best bet is to instigate a policy of reformed wrathful troll behavour as a dharma protector ...

eg.

• Trolling for Dharma
    • Confessions of a Dharma Troll Doll
    • Buddha killing for Zen Trolls

Platitude responses now ensue:
    I wish you every success. Don't shoot the messenger. Here to help. Yours in the dharma.

I'm in two minds...I just can't decide which one to go with :)

@Bunks said:

@Kundo said:

@Bunks said:
    Fair enough

Ha ha! Go Blues....

I had hopes for you this weekend

Look before you leap

But also bear in mind ...

He who hesitates is lost

lobsterperson

@Kundo said:

@Bunks said:

@Kundo said:

@Bunks said:
    Fair enough

Ha ha! Go Blues....

I had hopes for you this weekend

Really? You are far more optimistic than I!

BunksVastmindlobster

Good things come to those who wait

.....and wait and wait and wait and wait ;)

@Shoshin said:
    Good things come to those who wait

.....and wait and wait and wait and wait ;)

Like @Bunks and his beloved Carlton

Really? You are far more optimistic than I!

That’s what my fiancé said too

Shoshin

Such is life

Company Policy.

Aaaaaaargh! If I hear that one more time......!!

Kundo

@Shoshin said:

Commonly misattributed to Einstein, this quote in its current form as shown in the image above seems to have originated in a Narcotics Anonymous pamphlet printed in 1981. If you're interested in some exhaustive research into the quote and the idea behind it, check out this link.

Shoshin

I hear ya, @ScottPen; The vast, inumerable quotations attributed to the Buddha are in fact, not his words at all.
    But these things persist....
    Even Abe Lincoln had something to say on the matter.

Honest, he did.

BunksShoshin

… ont pû tromper quelques hommes, ou les tromper tous dans certains lieux & en certains tems, mais non pas tous les hommes, dans tous les lieux & dans tous les siécles.

_~Jacques Abbadie~_1684

One can fool some men, or fool all men in some places and times, but one cannot fool all men in all places and ages

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

• President George W. Bush
    lobsterVimalajātiperson

One saying I can't even think of without using Dr Phil's Voice in my head is

"Whut duzzent Kill yew maikes yew shtrawngur..!"

(Although I do like the later riposte, which goes "What doesn't kill you merely delays the inevitable." ... )

herberto

Better late than never (..When it comes to the Buddha Dharma)

@ScottPen said:
    “There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

• President George W. Bush

I love that quote. I usually use the latter half now instead of the original if I want to make that point.