Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Theravada

HozanHozan Veteran
edited May 2018 in Faith & Religion

Hi all looking for some good recommendations on Theravada buddhism. I am interested in learning more and perhaps practising in the Theravadan tradition.
May I ask who here practises in the Theravadan school of buddhism and if I may be so bold as to ask for your tips and advice/resources for people new to this path.
Yours in gratitude
Socair.
?

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited May 2018

I've recently switched from many years in the Tibetan tradition to a Theravada school. I'd say my conversion had more to do with culture rather than style or theology. I needed a more western mind set and the one I ended up at was Theravada, it is in the same sphere as the Insight Meditation Society.

My experience coming from the Gelug school in TB to Theravada was that the Theravada teachings are much more experiential than philosophical. Though there are more experiential schools in TB and I imagine philosophical schools in Theravada. There seems to be a greater focus on meditation retreats in Theravada. I've also noticed a difference in emphasis, I don't know if it cultural or from the tradition. But, the western Theravada tradition I'm in focuses much more on personal development while the Tibetan school focused on gaining the correct philosophical views and earning merit.

I really liked the book What The Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Thank you so much @person . Very much appreciated.

person
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I too am "switching' to Theravada. It appears - to me anyway - to be the least BS, straight down the line path.

Two books (one of which I already own and am re-reading) I've had recommended are:
    What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula (Which I own)
    Don't Take Your Life Personally by Ajahn Sumedo

BunksHozanlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Who remembers the three jewels?

One is the Sangha, they can offer advice, retreats and personal contact ...
    http://www.londonbuddhistvihara.org/related_sites.htm

Long live the Hinayana Theravada

Can not go to them? Pay for travel and minimal expenses and they come to you.

Service with a smile. Ay caramba. =)

Hozan
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2018

@Socair said:
    Hi all looking for some good recommendations on Theravada buddhism. I am interested in learning more and perhaps practising in the Theravadan tradition.
    May I ask who here practises in the Theravadan school of buddhism and if I may be so bold as to ask for your tips and advice/resources for people new to this path.
    Yours in gratitude
    Socair.
    ?

I do, among other things. For an intro to Theravada as a whole, you may want to check out this blog post, which gives a pretty broad but detailed look at the tradition (from my point of view, at any rate). As for other resources, I recommend anything from Thanissaro Bhikkhu or the monks at Abhayagiri and Amaravati. Tons of free talks and books available. Also, Access to Insight is a great resource.

Advice-wise, I'd suggest starting a meditation practice if you haven't already, and looking around until you find a teacher who speaks to you, in person if possible. And if not, then through their books and talks and maybe even correspondence.

KundoHozanpersonlobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Two Thai Forest monks I can recommend.....they have many talks on YouTube with much wisdom and personal experience apparent - definitely worth following:

http://www.forestdhammatalks.org/en/ajahn_martin/biography.php

http://phrasuchart.com/en/

Good luck!

KundoHozanpersonlobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

If you do a google search you’ll see that a pdf of the teachings of Ajahn Chah is available on the web, I’ve been slowly making my way through that and it’s very worthwhile.

HozanBunksperson
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Thank you everybody. Very much appreciated. ??