Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How Mindful Are You ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited March 2018 in Mindfulness

Here's a quick 'for fun' mindfulness quiz....(Call it a 'present' from me to you ;) )
How Mindful Are You ?
But don't ask me what it's about...I wasn't paying attention ;)

Edited....To Add....

However as no-fun @lobster has kindly pointed out the error of my not so serious way... ;)

The really serious, no joke, ultra important question that's guaranteed to change your life in the most profound way...

How Mindful Are You ?

Or to put another way... "How Dukkha-savvy Are You ?" (Are you aware of the unsatisfactory nature of day to day living in Samsara)

Comments

• How Mindful Are You?

Mindful enough to know when fun is no fun and even counter productive. :p

How Mindful Are You? o:)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sati_(Buddhism)

Buddhadragon
  • “But he learned more from the river than Vasudeva could teach him. He learned from it continually. Above all, he learned from it how to listen with a still heart, with a waiting open soul, without passion, without desire, without judgment, without opinions.” – Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

ShoshinJeroen
  • CarameltailCarameltail UK Veteran

I did actually try the quiz hmm funny ;P

• First of all the original quiz is primarily clickbait, designed to play adverts at you. :o A quick replay of our fun thread is much more fun ... :grin:

So now to the more serious question of mindful, profound, humorous etc. mindfulness:

• Like many people here I am mindful that I am a joke construct :3
    • @Jeffrey and a recent post from @genkaku illustrate being mindful by attention ✔️
    • I at present belong to the proactive mindfulness contingent. Make others mindful before their mindless spirituality contaminates my limited potential :p
    • Formal mindfulness. That is meditation or concentrated awareness. :star:
    • Mindfulness of the Dark Side. My hero is the glorified muppet, Master Yoda. Most of us light side need, seduced not by fear and anger must we be ... ??‍♀️

Being mindful. Iz plan. :glasses:

JeroenHozanShoshinBuddhadragon
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

So if @lobster is a joke construct, who is being mindful? :awesome:

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Wouldn't that question then be flawed in a sense?

Perhaps there would just be the sharing of information.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Kerome said:
    So if @lobster is a joke construct, who is being mindful? :awesome:

The puppet master :)

Unpolluted awareness

But old habits die hard, confusion can happen ( when awareness becomes contaminated) where the mind becomes full of junk....

lobster

Make others mindful before their mindless spirituality contaminates my limited potential

Being mindless 'is' a mindful pursuit @lobster :p
    To reiterate...

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

"How Dukkha-savvy Are You ?"

It is ever present. Who gassed guessed?

As we know most of us are full of it. Hence the continual emptying.
    The Bodhi of Buddha. Amen. (Catholic Dhrama Rama)

emptiness is form and formerly ...
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/22949/religious-cliches-including-buddhist

It is ever present.

Hmm and so is Sukha.... if one is paying attention :)

lobsterBunks
  • TsultrimTsultrim Hawaii Veteran

@Shoshin said:

How Mindful Are You ?

Or to put another way... "How Dukkha-savvy Are You ?" (Are you aware of the unsatisfactory nature of day to day living in Samsara)

I can't believe there is a Buddhist sect that doesn't extol the virtues of mindfulness. At all levels on the Buddhist paths i know about, it is critical. After all, what does it matter what our Buddhist experience is if a lack of mindfulness prevents us from being it?

Of the many definitions i have heard of mindfulness, the one i like best is short and i believe helpful, "Mindfulness occurs when our body is full of mind."

Mindfulness can be tricky. If we try to do it, rather than let it happen it tires and frustrates us, because mind reacts to our efforts by creating more content (I will be mindful, i will be mindful)

Meditation helps us in this context because it allows us to come back to now, naturally ( if we look we will see that meditative mind comes back without any effort on our part.) Meditation also tends to relax us and the more we relax the easier it is to be mindful. One thing we don't want to do is get in a fight with mind, because it's producing all these thought's and we decide we are going to stop them. I have heard some traditions talk about stopping thoughts completely, but i wouldn't recommend it, it's like trying to stop the ocean from making waves and the problem isn't thoughts anyhow but our clinging to and rejecting them. Mediation does lessen thoughts however and also makes them less intrusive.

In addition to meditation, i have found Tonglen helpful for mindfulness ( Google Tonglen if not familiar with it.) With Tonglen anything that affects us negatively from our self or the world ( at some point they're the same) is taken in and peacefulness (etc) is sent out. That process immediately makes us mindful in disturbing situations, and even better our response to the disturbance benefits our selves and others.

Shoshin
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

I keep on forgetting.
    Life is very seductive, and I am a bit of a fool.

kando
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@FoibleFull said:
    I keep on forgetting.

And so say all of us.....

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@FoibleFull said:
    I keep on forgetting.

[Lobster faints]
    Can it be true? [hangs head in shame] It is as @federica mentions ...

Remembrance (Sufism) mindfulness (Buddhism) and gratitude (life coaching) are useful skills.

Life, heedless, unskilfull behavour and so much of us seduces and impedes us.
    https://www.thoughtco.com/being-grateful-449576

Vastmind
  • kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

@FoibleFull said:
    I keep on forgetting.

Another fool here, and I live on a hill! Oh the irony :)

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

You can’t possibly be as foolish as me!
    Oh dear, I seem to have proved it... ego full steam ahead

lobsterShoshinVastmind

@FoibleFull said:
    I keep on forgetting.

A bit Mindfool ? ;)

Kundo
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

@Kerome said:

It's not a contest :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@FoibleFull said:

@Kerome said:

It's not a contest :)

No, we're all equally idiotic.

(But some are more equally idiotic than others..... )

kandolobsterShoshinFoibleFull
    edited June 2018

It would seem that our thoughts have had many years practice in the art of seduction they have become our mistresses & masters...

The ongoing practice of being mindful AKA Mindfulness :) helps us to see through their cunning seductive nature....

• kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

@kerome the only other discussion groups I have taken part in before this were poetry sites and THAT is the place for egos, really BIG ones! So if I come across as aggressive and know-all at times my only excuse is being used to flame-a-thons! My hair is still frizzled ?

lobsterShoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2018

@Shoshin said:
    The ongoing practice of being mindful AKA Mindfulness :) helps us to see through their cunning seductive nature....

Indeed.
    Humility is not mawkish passivity, it is the recognition of others as of more importance than our budding Buddha nurture. We all hopefully remember the Shakyamuni became a Bodhisattva after contemplating annihilation/death. He became a teacher. The role of a good teacher is genuine humility, empowering or unfolding others humility and other awakened qualities ...
    https://www.dalailama.com/teachings/training-the-mind/training-the-mind-verse-1

@kando said:
    ... the only other discussion groups I have taken part in before this were poetry sites and THAT is the place for egos, really BIG ones! So if I come across as aggressive and know-all at times my only excuse is being used to flame-a-thons! My hair is still frizzled ?

LOL.
    The ego is not the enemy, it is the size, effect and seductive indulgence that has to lessen. We have to calm/be mindful/aware of its grandiose internal rioting ... Hence mindfulness, meditation, chanting, sila, practice. Big egos are ridiculous and indicative of strange hair (eg. Resident Rump). They too are our teachers/precious jewels ... how strange is that ...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hua_Tou

Shoshin