Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do You Smell?

Incense is used in many religions, including Buddhism. Today I bought some charcoal and Loban
http://www.tipdisease.com/2014/11/benefits-of-benzoin-styrax-benzoin-for.html

Practically identical to frankincense in fragrance. Should dissuade a mosquito who pays a visit.

Dhoop, joss sticks, cones, essential oils. How do you perfume your environment or outcense perhaps ... ?

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Absolutely! The nose gives very important clues to our spaces, I was walking in the forest the other day and there were grassy smells, flowering smells, earthy smells... very refreshing. Unfortunately we can’t bottle and import all of those into the home, but I do like a bit of incense, I go for Agarwood or Sandalwood.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I have a very poor sense of smell, usually (apparently due to three major impacts to a specific location on my cranium!), but someone bought me some wonderful white lilies when they were invited round for a meal, and the fragrance is intoxicating and delicious!
    I also enjoy Nag Champa incense, and I was given a bottle of Perfume for my birthday that although I cannot always detect, people around me habitually comment on in a complimentary way....
    Fragrance plays a major part in adjusting our mind-set, and is also provocative in evoking memories...
    I cannot smell a cucumber sandwich without being reminded of my lovely paternal Grandpa....

Kundolobster
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran
    edited May 2018

I'm too basic. Just frankincense or jasmine.

Myrrh is lovely but very strong.

It smells like bonfires.

@Vimalajāti said:
    frankincense

Fun trivia: this word just means "French incense".

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Nag Champa and Moldavite are my fave incenses. I'm also partial to Palo Santo sticks.

• yagryagr Veteran

I use sweetgrass and sage.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Some time ago, when light shone through the bedroom window, I would collect and tend indoor plants. I tried to focus on flowering and fragrance. The jasmine was planted outside and now grows up a tree that provides dappled light. You can 'bottle' natural nature and live in an environment of flowers. Even cut flowers such as freesia for your Buddha Altar, are the most wonderful expression of ... flowering/opening ...
    http://www.flowershopnetwork.com/blog/10-best-smelling-flowers/

Do it for Buddha
    https://www.elephantjournal.com/2018/01/want-to-really-change-the-world-try-doing-it-like-the-buddha/

• ScottPenScottPen Maryland Veteran

Green Clover and Aloe

If you've stayed in a hotel at Disney World in Florida you've experienced it.

• kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

Lemongrass all the way for me and lavender - never forget the nasal amazement at the scent of lavender essential oil my only other experience of it being a scent my grandmother used that was called lavander but phew! It was awful :p