Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meeting Ajahn Brahm

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Not sure how many of you are familiar with him but Ajahn Brahm is certainly popular in this part of the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajahn_Brahm

He is coming to stay at my local monastery and as a regular I have been privileged enough to get a ten minute one on one with him on Wednesday morning to discuss my practice.

Feeling very blessed.....

ToshlobsterVastmindpersonJeffreyKundoElizShoshinLee82Hozanmisecmisc1

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Good for you!

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Ha ha! This is true @federica.

I already have a pretty good idea what advice I am after with my practice

Kundo
  • Ugyen_YesheUgyen_Yeshe Toronto New

This must be very exciting for you. I remember the first time I had met my own teachers and it is special!

Here's my advice from my own personal experience, and that is to try to be clear on what you wish to discuss or ask ahead of time. When I meet my teachers for a formal interview or audience I would sometimes fumble through and forget to ask a key question or discuss a key point that was important to me. It sounds a bit silly, but early on sitting before my teacher one-on-one was a pretty powerful experience in itself and would make me totally forget some of the things I wanted to discuss! Lol. A few times I would even write a few notes ahead of time yet in case. Imade sure not to waste this precious time and be a bit more prepared because my thinking would always lead me to wonder when I might get the chance again.

I am happy for you! It is great to be able to connect with wonderful teachers and discuss dharma as it pertains to us in an individual basis.

Best of luck!

Bunks

Thank you for your kind words @Ugyen_Yeshe

• ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

That sounds fantastic! I really appreciate Ajahn Brahms wisdom and humor. I hope it goes well for you!

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Bring him dark chocolate. Ask why he is not on NewBuddhist ... has he no compassion?

Wot? ? Iz his job ...

@lobster said:
    Bring him dark chocolate. Ask why he is not on NewBuddhist ... has he no compassion?

Wot? ? Iz his job ...

Apparently good old British fish and chips are his favourite food.

He may have an aversion to other seafood though mate ;)

lobsterKundoShoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Perhaps you can bring him a sole with his chips and discuss anatta... B)

BunksShoshinScottPen
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

That is awesome. I love Ajahn Brahm's Youtube videos. One of them turned around my practice...

lobsterEliz
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

That's an idea, actually, @Bunks: Send him much love from your on-line sangha.
    High five from us!!

KundoJeroenlobsterVastmind
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@Bunks that is just awesome! Delighted for you. Your path has led you to this very point. It will be so great to meet somebody with so much experience. Let us know how it went.
    I hope one day I can be fortunate enough to meet such a learned teacher.
    Good on ya @Bunks

lobsterEliz
  • HozanHozan Veteran
    edited June 2018

Just wondering is the buddhist society of Western Australia the best place on youtube to watch his dharma talks or is does he have his own youtube channel? Thank you.

• kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

@lobster said:
    Don't be intimidated. He is just a bloke in a sari with wide experience of meditation ... Everything will go fine. Get a selfie ...

Still laughing at that @lobster -
    Love his youtube talks, especially the one on letting go. I am green with envy @bunks, although I know I ought not to be :)

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited June 2018

Nearly 2 years back, when I was applying for my visa for Aus, I had a wish in my mind that I can try to meet Ajahn Brahm if I go to Aus. Luckily in last year when I reached Aus, then within 3 months of my stay in Aus, I came to know about an event which was organized in which Ajahn Brahm was the main person. I got the ticket to that event and then within 3 months of my stay in Aus, I met Ajahn Brahm at that event. I had a one-to-one talk with him for nearly 5 mins in total I think. It was a pleasure to meet him. Even though he is so famous, he is so humble.
    Congrats @Bunks - you are so lucky to meet Ajahn Brahm at your local monastery. Enjoy.

Bunkslobster
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited June 2018

@Socair said:
    Just wondering is the buddhist society of Western Australia the best place on youtube to watch his dharma talks or is does he have his own youtube channel? Thank you.

As far as my information goes, buddhist society of Western Australia (BSWA) is the youtube channel for Ajahn Brahm's dharma talks.

edited June 2018

Yes @Socair. Try BSWA YouTube channel.

Ajahn Brahmali on there is very good too......

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Yes @Socair. Try BSWA YouTube channel.

Ajahn Brahmali on there is very good too......

Thank you @Bunks . Will check it out

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Wot no selfie? Did he like the high five and chocolate? When will he be advising us NewBuddhist hopeless cases? B)

BunksKundoVastmindHozan
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Bunks said:
    Well I had my ten minute timeslot with Ajahn Brahm.

The main thing I took out of it you may ask?

1. Don't take things too seriously
    2. Be kind

:)

Huh. Typical. I've been doing that for the past week, and I'm enlightened, and didn't know it.

Well, damn.

KundoBunksVastmindHozan