Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

World Cup Russia 2018

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hi all

Slightly off the topic of Buddhism but is anyone getting excited for the WC starting next weekend?

Exciting times!

Hopefully the Aussies get through the Group Stage along with France.

Peru and Denmark will be formidable opponents for us though.

Predictions? I think Germany might win the whole thing. England to go out at the Quarter Final stages.

Vastmind

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited June 2018

You know in my house...it’s Black Stars!!! Go Ghana! ??
    But bec of the bribe stuff that’s going around....different statements on whether GFA is dissolved or not. Politics. We’ll be watching all the games...fo sho!!!
    No, we’re not in it. I already know. :angry:

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

I'm rooting for Germany. I think Brazil, Belgium, and Denmark will do well. I think France will flop. And I hope Iran will be the dark horse to surprise everyone.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2018

CONIFA mmm ... games ... let me know who won ... better still don't bother ... o:)

BunksVastmind
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

France has some interesting players, so not too sure if they will flop, looking forward to seeing Mbappe on the big stage. Germany is always a good shout I agree, and Belgium are still enjoying their “golden generation”.

But so many African players are now in places like the premiership, it’s hard to know how well those teams will do. There may be some surprises :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Bunks said:... Predictions? I think Germany might win the whole thing. England to go out at the Quarter Final stages.

Thank you, your optimism outclasses ours....

Kundo
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@federica said:

@Bunks said:... Predictions? I think Germany might win the whole thing. England to go out at the Quarter Final stages.

Thank you, your optimism outclasses ours....

More hope than optimism in all seriousness @federica - just getting out of the Group Stage is like winning the whole thing in Australia!

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

My husband knows a lot about soccer and he claims Spain, Brazil and France have very good teams for this championship.

Naturally, the Mannschaft is always a big threat...

Bunks
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Brazil will do it. ????????????

• HozanHozan Veteran

Spain's manager about to be sacked pre tournament for taking up a new job managing Real Madrid after the WC. The Spanish camp may be unsettled. Regardless I think Brazil will win the World Cup this year. ????

• HozanHozan Veteran

I hope England do really well. I like Southgate and follow a lot of their players in the premier league. I hate the way the press build them up and tear them down. Come on the three lions! ???

• HozanHozan Veteran

Also go Australia!! Going to be supporting the Socceroos too. And also wishing Argentina and Belgium well.
    So best of luck ?? and ?? and ??? ( cant find St.Georges Cross on its own) and ??.
    Shouting for you all but ?? will win it.

• HozanHozan Veteran

It's official. Spain sack manageron eve of world cup for accepting the Real Madrid job...

Julen Lopetegui sacked as Spain manager after accepting Real Madrid job

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/13/julen-lopetegui-sacked-spain-manager-real-madrid-job?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Socair , you do realise talking to yourself is the first sign of madness....?)

:lol:

Hozan
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I only watch until the first fake injury.

Usually about 5 minutes in.

Bunks

@David said:

I hear they're considering awarding Oscars....

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@David said:

Perhaps someone should create the practice of right injury...

• HozanHozan Veteran

@federica said:
    @Socair , you do realise talking to yourself is the first sign of madness....?)

:lol:

I know @federica ....yikes.....lol

one more sleep :)

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I'm going for Australia and when/if we get knocked out, Denmark.

@David said:

I hear Italy will be giving lessons now they have all that free time on their hands...... ???
    _hides_

Bunks

Di già qualcuno si mette in mira per dei calci al sedere!!

@federica said:
    Di già qualcuno si mette in mira per dei calci al sedere!!

That's easy for you to say.....

federicaJeroen

Oooh I'mma gonna bin a-handin' outta da yellow cards ebberywear!

Kundo

Who do you reckon will win the opening game this afternoon? It’s Russia v Saudi Arabia, neither such strong teams, but we can reckon the Russians will be drug-boosted if the Olympics are anything to go by. I think a narrow 2-1 victory for the Saudi’s.

• ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

I'm going to have to go with the Republic of Korea.

I'm also hoping for Sweden, or I'm sure my distant relatives would be upset.

I hope one sports team out-sportses the other.

@Kerome said:
    Who do you reckon will win the opening game this afternoon? It’s Russia v Saudi Arabia, neither such strong teams, but we can reckon the Russians will be drug-boosted if the Olympics are anything to go by. I think a narrow 2-1 victory for the Saudi’s.

Lucky you didn't put any of your hard earned on that prediction ;)

I was wondering how much to watch, and so ended up watching some of Uruguay v Egypt. I’d forgotten how a match can sometimes turn into tedious back and forth with nary a chance either way. It ended 1-0, but it was a good reminder that most of the best football is usually played in the quarterfinals and the semi’s.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I wish there could be a rule change to make more scoring in football like the shot clock in basketball was added. I still do like the sport but I suppose if a team gets the lead they can just play keep away. A shot clock would not work as it did in basketball but I wonder if another rule change is possible? Hockey is also low scoring but they have 'power plays' which add a lot of scoring. I still do like watching but scoring goals is quite exciting to see. I still like it better than baseball which baseball bores me to death.

But then the Spain v Portugal match was excellent...

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Kerome, I actually did just see the third goal by Ronaldo on the penalty kick. It came up as an alert in a sports app I have. Very beautiful shot. I probably should watch a couple of games!

@Jeffrey said:
    Kerome, I actually did just see the third goal by Ronaldo on the penalty kick. It came up as an alert in a sports app I have. Very beautiful shot. I probably should watch a couple of games!

Say what you want about the guy, he's a phenomenal player... 51 hat-tricks in his career. Astounding showman....

Bunks

Geez these French divas can really act....

Yeah. Did you not know Maurice Chevalier is on the bench as a sub....?

edited June 2018

@federica said:
    Yeah. Did you not know Maurice Chevalier is on the bench as a sub....?

France went down so much I thought the game was being played in a brothel.

Ok bitchiness aside, that VAR is a total farce. The ref's backflip on the penalty literally made all the difference for us. And, as controversial as this statement will be, if we'd had a European ref, that BS would never have happened. An English/Italian/Norse ref would not have been so dodgy to us.

Well all we can do now is to regroup and focus on Denmark (but I don't hold out hope for us). I was hoping Iceland would win too.

I understand what you're saying @Kundo but at the end of the day the correct decision was made. It was a penalty.

I certainly won't complain when we get one go our way!

Hope the ankle is on the mend mate!

@Bunks said:
    I understand what you're saying @Kundo but at the end of the day the correct decision was made. It was a penalty.

Well I disagree because Risdon actually kicked the ball and Griezemenn took a dive fell afterwards.

I certainly won't complain when we get one go our way!

Hope the ankle is on the mend mate!

Getting there. Slowly but surely :+1:

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

I'm not a football fan, but this guy seems excited

lobster

Da, konechno....

@Kundo said:

@Bunks said:

Well I disagree because Risdon actually kicked the ball and Griezemenn took a dive fell afterwards.

We'll have to agree to disagree - I thought it was a penalty :)

edited June 2018

Bit of a surprise to see the Germans lose their first match, they left a lot of chances. And Brazil drawing 1-1 with Switzerland. A lot of smaller teams seem to have gotten a lot better at defending.

Bunks
    edited June 2018

Yes, there have been quite a few surprises along the way. apparently when Peru discovered they'd got in, the whole country went so wild with celebration, they set off the earthquake sensors. Nobody else can put claim to that, can they...?!

• billjmbilljm norwich New

Hope England can go far in the tournament but realistically quaterfinals. Germany for me. =)

Bunks

Japan played exceptionally well. Ankle pain and bad sinus kept me up for the match. It's 2:25am and I still can't sleep ??

• GuiGui Veteran

Mexico Si!

@Kundo said:
    Japan played exceptionally well. Ankle pain and bad sinus kept me up for the match. It's 2:25am and I still can't sleep ??

Bummer mate! Hope you ended up getting some sleep.

You need to be fresh for the Denmark game tomorrow night :)

I had 48 mins sleep - from 5:12am to 6am. It's 6:48pm here and I'm about to go to bed.

Bunks

England got through to the second round far too easily for my liking.....maybe they actually have a chance this time around!

Sorry about that, we didn't know we'd have such shitty opponents. Will try harder to make it a more nail-biting finish next time. Rather like Germany did. Jammy dodgers or what??

Bunks

Yes! They weren't particularly gracious in victory either! Obviously been watching the Australian cricket team in action.....

We're doing alright for a country enmeshed in Parliamentary turmoil, controversial historical cock-ups and overwhelming political fekkups....

Bunks