Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Visual History of Decreasing War And Violence

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I've shared this recently, but here it is again.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Specifically regarding violence, I'm sure there are a variety of reasons why it has declined. The state monopoly on violence and the rule of law gives people reasons not to take matters into their own hands. The power and destruction of modern warfare has to give countries (with a relatively equal level of power) serious pause in going to war with each other. Increases in the interconnectedness of trade means hurting other countries hurts one's own country. In recent decades its possible removing lead from products decreased violence.

Despite the decrease it can still seem like there is a lot of violence. I imagine the nature of the news has much to do with that, "if it bleeds it leads". Also there has been a large increase in the number of people, so even though the percentage of people killed by violence or war is way down, the absolute number could be higher.

Kundolobster
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited June 2018

Yeah theoretically that's very nice.