Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The rise of compassion

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited June 2018 in Buddhism Basics

Dear Friends,

As we all know, many spiritual ideologies, including Buddhism, are based on key realisations:

• Compassion, kindness and love increases by resonance and enactment
  • Start with self, family, friends, social environment
  • Be the change ...

That has always been my plan, to the best of my limitations ... Now off to water some fragile flowers ...
https://ggia.berkeley.edu/practice/loving_kindness_meditation

What's your plan?

ScottPenpersonherbertoShoshinBunksShim

Comments

• kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

To walk the path, even though I often have no idea where I'm going - to quote my favorite Zen iconoclast Ikkyu 'if there's nowhere to rest at the end, how can I get lost on the way?

lobsterherbertoJeroen
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2018

@kando 'No plan' is too advanced for most of us, or maybe just me. Most of us lose ourselves in ideas of doing great good ... B)

For example Resident ‘Evil’ Rump, the US Drama Queen, is trying to do good by putting children in larger cages, eg. Mexico - bless ... :p

... however the living dead and zombies are too advanced for all but the Bodhisattvas. o:)

Oh gosh ... seem to have been distracted by the Sith ... rather than my practice ... :3

The plan to develop Karuṇā is by focus and enabling ... I feel @federica is on the right track/path

herberto
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited June 2018

To quote my rabbi - Just do good

To quote HHDL - My religion is simple, my religion is kindness

To quote me - I'm doing my best to be a good person who is mindful of every action and reaction and trying not to fk it up

ScottPenBunkslobster
  • ScottPenScottPen Maryland Veteran

@Kundo, you and me both my friend. Better watch out, I'm sure there are a few Theravadans out there whose shorts get bunched up when someone starts saying people can be "good." :p

also, to quote HHDL: 'Do not try to use what you learn from Buddhism to be a Buddhist; use it to be a better whatever-you-already-are.'

Tryna be a better husband, better dad, better son, better brother, better paralegal, better dude to chill with.

lobsterKundoJeroen
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I listened to a couple podcasts yesterday that pointed out the importance of gratitude in combating our personal despair, leading to strength. In the other Jack Kornfield brought up an example of TNH about escaping Vietnam in boats, when the seas got really rough and there was danger of capsizing if everyone on board starts to panic that only increases the danger, but if one person can remain calm others will see that and be able to remain calm themselves. Being that calm person amidst turmoil is what TNH and Jack Kornfield were saying Buddhist practice can bring to the picture.

10% happier #139 and Metta hour with Sharon Salzberg #59

ScottPenherbertoadamcrossley
  • kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

I wish to categorically deny being in any way advanced. I also try to be as good and kind as possible despite lurking theravadan ninjas and their shorts of doom. O.o

lobsterherbertoJeroen
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Well I follow Theravada, but I don't consider myself either ninja, nor as having fired off any shots of doom. Don't really know why we have accrued such a bad rep. Probably Mahayana stirrers creating waves again....

herbertoJeroen
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2018

Remember that, the next time you believe your Act of Kindness seems insignificant....

Yes.

Generating kindness in thought (intention), word and deed is a significant life changing 'precept'. This is the inner circle, the tight/small personal liberation wheel of the Hinayana (not always a derogatory term).

To quote my rabbi - Just do good

Do you hate, the opposing team, criminal politicians or poverty? Yourself? Weakness?
    Increase in Love.

Compassion, it is a plan ... and it works.

Work it ...
    OM MANI PEME HUM

personScottPenKundo
  • In my view, everything seems to be moving in a myriad vortex. We should not create nor get sucked in to that vortex, but keeping in mind we are part of that cycle regardless.

It’s possible that the mind is key. When the mind is nothing but pure mind, perhaps that element rejuvenates into the deathless realm instead of turning into a product that vortex or aka samsara.

kando
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Perhaps the impure mind/samsara being is beyond classification as much as the Nirvana abiding ...
    https://buddhism.stackexchange.com/questions/9375/how-is-samsara-nirvana

In fact samsara is a divisive, confusing, crazed, dualistic, craved for state we suffer in. Anybody enjoy it all the time? Head for more clarity, sense more peace, be the chill ... Well that is my plan ... :)

namarupakando
  • @federica said:
    Remember that, the next time you believe your Act of Kindness seems insignificant....

<3

Kindness is never trivial. Never small. It is the attunement with Awakened Being.
    Big stuff.

In Buddhism kindness does not start with pleasing Almighty Cod (or some fishy Allah type uber-lawdy) but ourselves.

How to be kind to that little ego insignificance? I would suggest compassion ...

Kundoyagr
  • yagryagr Veteran

@lobster said:

In Buddhism kindness does not start with pleasing Almighty Cod (or some fishy Allah type uber-lawdy) but ourselves.

How to be kind to that little ego insignificance? I would suggest compassion ...

Could you please say a little more on this?

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

The rise of compassion

Compassion can not truly rise without (the other wing) Wisdom

personelcra1go
  • @yagr
    Part of the Buddhist experience that we can verify is how our mind has been hijacked. The insignificant BUT hugely detrimental to our peace of mind, ego has wormed its way into prominence. :o

We are not at a deeper level, or underlying level, this fabricated and counter productive 'ignorance'. However the ego is very strong in its delusions, meanderings, emotive uncertainties etc.

The wisdom component that @Shoshin mentions, recognises the real qualities and has compassion for our failings and that of others ...

We must in a sense love or accept the ego but not be swallowed or seduced by it. All the Buddhist techniques of mind settling, concentration, meditation etc are based on acceptance but also non-identity ...
    https://zenstudiespodcast.com/intrusive-thoughts-and-emotions/

yagrJeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited August 2018

Compassion and loving-kindness arise from the opening of the heart, often caused by a deep recognition of the suffering of others. This is a part of Buddhism too, a study of the Four Noble Truths inevitably leads there.

At the same time this opening also signals our vulnerability, with reactions of fear and uncertainty as we get in touch with our sensitivity. This is where we need to encourage our insight to lead us past the shadows conjured up by our minds.

In fact many of us live in a dream, and part of what buddhism does is allow us to find clarity and peace, and from there develop a better connection with our compassion.

lobsterFoibleFullelcra1go
  • techietechie India Veteran

Can compassion arise without suffering?

If you've never experienced pain, will you ever develop compassion?

Is that even possible?

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 2018

Everybody experiences suffering in the Buddhist use of this word. Nobody escapes. No it does not mean compassion or wise/discerning love is inevitable - it is a choosing ...

• @techie said:

Is that even possible?

Everybody experiences, loss, stress, aging, even the Buddha. Compassion, empathy based on the recognition that easing the suffering of ourselves and others is just common sense decency (not some great virtue) ...

You seem @techie to have great difficulty in comprehending this simple proposition. That dukkha is a universal experience. Where is this hypothetical unfeeler? Are they some sort of damaged (therefore suffering) being?

• techietechie India Veteran

@lobster said:

@techie said:

Is that even possible?

Everybody experiences, loss, stress, aging, even the Buddha. Compassion, empathy based on the recognition that easing the suffering of ourselves and others is just common sense decency (not some great virtue) ...

You seem @techie to have great difficulty in comprehending this simple proposition. That dukkha is a universal experience. Where is this hypothetical unfeeler? Are they some sort of damaged (therefore suffering) being?

Everybody is suffering, but do you really believe that a Hollywood star, for instance, is suffering in the same way that a refugee or a homeless person is suffering? Let's be realistic. Not all suffering is the same. Those who suffer a lot have the potential to develop a lot of compassion. Great sorrow -> Great compassion.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2018

You patently have the completely wrong idea of what Suffering is.
    You need to resume or adopt some serious study @techie because everyone regardless of who or what they are, experiences Suffering, as the Buddha taught,, whether they are aware of it or not.

yagrKundo
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@techie said:
    Everybody is suffering, but do you really believe that a Hollywood star, for instance, is suffering in the same way that a refugee or a homeless person is suffering? Let's be realistic. Not all suffering is the same. Those who suffer a lot have the potential to develop a lot of compassion. Great sorrow -> Great compassion.

I would hazard a guess that what Harvey Weinstein is suffering from, now his actions have harvested karma is worse than the agony I am currently in from my operation. My pain will lessen (hopefully) in a few weeks. Harvey's life is falling apart. Money and fame often exacerbate suffering, not diminish it. If you can't comprehend that, you need to start studying Buddhism from scratch or give up entirely.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Perhaps it's a simple case of "Dukkha" ( Unsatisfactoriness) becoming lost in translation

@Shoshin said:
    Perhaps it's a simple case of "Dukkha" ( Unsatisfactoriness) becoming lost in translation

Possibly. But it's not as if this is the first time the subject has cropped up.
    The matter of the meaning of Suffering, as outlined by the Buddha, is nothing new...