Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Positive?

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited June 2018 in Buddhism Basics

Dear Friends,

Are you positive? As we may have noticed some dharma focuses on the miserable Noble Truths or practically never ending samsara for non path walkers. Despite this, in practical terms, practice makes us more inclined to changing and solving and transcending. Nothing to transcend types not withstanding. 'Samsara is Nirvana' is fine when experienced and empty when apart.

Improving the key components of our being, generates a space for positive expansion. Which usually means practice makes perfect or at least a brighter shine ...

Am I positive? Yes.
https://brightwayzen.org/changing-reality-with-positive-thinking/

VastmindScottPenperson

Comments

• ScottPenScottPen Maryland Veteran

I'm with ya lobster. The few months I've been investigating contemplative practice, the only thing that really makes sense to me any more is compassion and positivity. Meditate, love, and smile. Some zenizens say you should kill Buddha when you meet him on the street. I say give him a hi5 and a hug, say "thanks bro," and go have lunch with your mom.

personVastmindJeroen
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2018

I makes sense @ScottPen - hooray ... B)

Awakening/unfolding can be an obstacle, should we be so lucky. This is why quotes, wise, experienced and intense practitioners may be about as much use as our unhelpful/unskilful thoughts. They can be just an adopted veneer beyond our present understanding, until they come into fruition ...

We need a working template for where we are or a bit beyond. Contemplative practice is fundamental.

• See the being. Ay caramba, what the hell am I?
    • Reside in/accept the state of being (the bulk of practice)
    • Finding attributes of stilling and chilling, spaciousness etc
    • Developing attentive discernment

The developing of positive mind, body, emotions, physical presence is a realistic method ... Why do we take refuge in the three jewels?

Because they resonate:

• Buddha, Positive Being
    • Dharma, skilful advice
    • Sangha, concentrated exemplars

Long live the three jewels.

namarupa
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Because if you aren't learning from the people around you, you're not paying attention.

Paying attention? Seems like a the plan. =)
    In the Hinayana tradition, the tightest wheel we have positive attentive awareness for is the Theravadin elders responsibility for

ourselves firstly

Some of us, mentioning no names except my own, don't like what we come into awareness of. The empathy towards others is directly related to what we find through practice. Most of us seem more caring/kind/positive towards others and a little harsh and unforgiving towards our smallest wheel of encounter - ourselves. Oh wait, that might just be me again :3 tsk, tsk ...

How can we learn to be kinder and more positive about our rascal selves? Metta Bhavna.
    http://dharmawisdom.org/teachings/articles/forgiving-unforgivable2

... two monks who encounter each other some years after being released from prison where they had been tortured by their captors. "Have you forgiven them?" asks the first. "I will never forgive them! Never!" replies the second. "Well, I guess they still have you in prison, don't they?" the first says.

Be kind.
    Ruthlessly (if you are a Mahayana infidel) :p

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Even if one creates a small merit,
    It will lead t great happiness in the next life.
    One will achieve a great benefit
    Like a prosperous harvest

::snip::

It is possible even for fire to become cold.
    It is possible even for the wind to be leashed by a rope.
    It is possible even for the sun and moon to fall to the ground.
    But the maturing of karma is infallible

• lobsterlobster Veteran

My bodhi buddy, the Maitreya or 'Metta Ray' as I call her, is unceasingly positive and kind.
    https://www.thoughtco.com/maitreya-buddha-449794

Some people eg. Benjamin Creme fruit cake, think Metta Ray runs a sweet shop ...
    Tsk, tsk ...

Kundo

Wow that dude ain't gonna get scurvy

kandolobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(And his clothes don't fit either.... The incredible Buddha-Hulk. Known to his friends simply as 'Bulk'.)

kandolobsterpersonKundo
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Hotei or Siddhartha, it is not very important, it is the intention that counts. I find positivity is great when it happens, but often meditation just leads to stillness and emptiness. Negativity can be interesting too. The key thing is not to let your positivity or negativity carry you away on a spiral of thoughts, papanca doing its thing when motive energy pushes you forward.

kandolobsterperson
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

"Bulk SMASH" ... afflictions

ScottPenKundoDavid

@person said:
    "Bulk SMASH" ... afflictions

I see what you did there

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@ScottPen said:
    I dunno what works for me, but I'm gonna keep watching my breath and realizing what's actually important. I don't need to wrap my head around my impermanence to stop thinking I'm the center of the universe. I just need to be away from my kids for a week.

B)

We are the center of our universes but no need to be a dick about it ... (cue human family, others centering, Mahayana idealism etc) ... good post @ScottPen <3

Returning to the gentle breath is one of the most ancient, simple and infinitely expandable life techniques. The dead are not so good at it. Positive Reframing (brain/mind training) plus breath, that is potential ...