Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is Western Buddhism even possible?

2»

Comments

• kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

@federica said:
    Evolution, nor Revolution. Peoples' biggest problem is both accepting Change, and understanding that with people and environments, situations and agendas, things will not stay as they are.

Amen or om to that, change is the only constant.

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

@federica
    Please could you change the name of this thread to “Western Buddhism”, as my original title was a bit provocative and we’ve kind of left the initial question behind.

That would be great, thank you ?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Is Western Buddhism even possible?

Most of us are practicing as Westerners. So the answer is beyond cultural norms or directional patterns. Is present day Buddhism possible? Do we need Shakyamuni, just one Buddha (awake)?

How about Capitalist Buddhism?

Four Noble Token Truths:

1. Existence is Valuable
    2. The Causes of Value
    3. The Way to Prosper
    4. Selling Your Self
    kando

@lobster said:

Is Western Buddhism even possible

How about Capitalist Buddhism?

Four Noble Token Truths:

1. Existence is Valuable
    2. The Causes of Value
    3. The Way to Prosper
    4. Selling Your Self

Also the way to power in the art world as it is now. Especially 4 - I remember talking to a fellow tutor I was starting to regard as a friend about various experiences and her response was - 'What a resource!' O.o

• lobsterlobster Veteran

As Western Buddhists (Similar to Tibetan Buddhism) we are nearer to our cultural influences ...

They are a resource. <3

Well @kando? Where art you? We are all ears ...

Living quietly in Ireland and keeping my head well down, suffering from art dealer fatigue B)

lobster
  • Buddhism is universal. Buddhism is inclusive. Yes there are schools of Buddhism that are strange to others not in that particular culture, that in no way makes Buddhism itself a strange exotic practice beyond Western or Eastern or Northern comprehension. Buddhism is a practice enabling us to live and grow each day.

lobsterperson
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@kando said:
    Living quietly in Ireland and keeping my head well down, suffering from art dealer fatigue B)

I believe it arte the Buddha who saith:

Existence is Art Dealer Fatigue
    Art Buddha [Lobster removes head]