Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Rule of Three

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The Rule of Three is a well-known and recognised principle which gives nouns, adjectives or sayings a memorable, and recognisable rhythm or grouping, in order to make them catchy, easy to recollect and perpetuate...

Young, Free and Single
Young, Gifted and Black,
Father Son and Holy Ghost

and now, @Person's thread, Fresh, Solid and Free.

How many more - that we have come across, or of our own invention and making - can we put here, as reminders of our practice, and as tenets or memorable phrases to help us along?

I'll start:

Karma Thinks, Karma Says, Karma Does.

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Taking refuge in Buddha, dharma and sangha

Bunks
  • kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

Older, wiser and slower. :)

Kundo
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I've added as part of my metta practice, safe, happy and free.

adamcrossley
  • adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

Three marks of existence:
    Impermanence, suffering, and not-self

Three sights Gautama saw when he first left the palace:
    Old age, sickness, and death

seeker242Jeroen
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The one request I always used to make to my daughters, when they left my side to do their own thing with their friends...

"Be nice, Be good, Behave...."

I believe my eldest says it to her little boy/my grandson, now....!

• ScottPenScottPen Maryland Veteran

vene vidi vici

Shoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(Have you read the proviso of the first post, @ScottPen ...?)

• ScottPenScottPen Maryland Veteran

@federica said:
    (Have you read the proviso of the first post, @ScottPen ...?)

Sure have. Keeping the 5 precepts ain't easy. Any day during which I keep any of them all day is a victory over my impulses toward harmful behavior.
    I understand that pride in accomplishment is a slippery slope, but I'm not past it yet. So, when I evaluate today before I go to sleep, maybe I'll have come, seen, and conquered. And maybe not. But either way I'm ok, which is a victory in itself.

vinlynfederica

Noted. ;) Cool post.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

... or, as the French might have it, "Jamais deux sans trois."

• VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

Emptiness, conditionality, and their middle. Three truths. Three heaven-sent natural characteristics. The middle truth unifies all dharmāḥ. The ultimate truth demolishes all dharmāḥ. The conventional truth establishes all dharmāḥ. All three truths are ultimately empty, all are tathāgata-seed, all are true aspect.

Not three, they are three; three, they are not three.

Neither combined nor separated, neither uncombined nor unseparated.

Neither same nor different, yet same and different alike.

(Three-truth-exegesis, from Great Calming Insight, a sermon by the ascetic Zhìyǐ, T1911.8a6)

person
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Mind, bodhi and ... start again :o

Mined, buddies and ... no, mined is part of 3 gems ... start again O.o

Mind, Body and Spirit :)

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Never confuse love with possession, kindness with weakness or respect with fear.

personkando
  • Sila. Samadhi. Panna.
    (Or ‘sealant’ as Bhante G sometimes annotates ‘sila’, in the sense of sealing the unskillful unwholesome leaks in the boat of our behavior or the foundation of our home.)

• thee, me, we

• kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

Kindness, kindness, kindness (worth saying thrice) :)

Bunksfederica
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@adamcrossley said:

Three sights Gautama saw when he first left the palace:
    Old age, sickness, and death

I thought it was four sights he saw? The three above plus an ascetic

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Tiramisu, panna cotta, and créme brûlée.

lobsterkandoBunksKundo

@Kerome said:
    Tiramisu, panna cotta, and créme brûlée.

...But not necessarily in that order.....

kandoKundo