Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Tiger and the Monk

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

Just thought some might find this doco of interest...(however there has been some controversy surrounding the Tiger temple's management)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

"some"....!?

lobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I saw this a while ago and liked it. I wasn't aware of what has become of the place, it makes me sad to see the corruption, I'd like to believe that Buddhist monks can rise above that. :cry:

Shoshin
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

A lot of years ago, here in the U.S., a young woman climbed over a zoo's two restraining railings and stuck her arm into a cage inhabited by a polar bear. The bear bit down on the arm that was extended in an imagined friendship. The woman screamed. The cops came. One of the cops shot and eventually killed the polar bear.

At the newspaper I worked for at the time, readership mail was about evenly divided between those who felt the bear should be shot and those suggesting the young woman was the one who deserved a bullet.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

The Scorpion and the Frog from Aesop

A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the
    scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back. The
    frog asks, “How do I know you won’t sting me?” The scorpion
    says, “Because if I do, I will die too.”

The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream,
    the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of
    paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown,
    but has just enough time to gasp “Why?”

Replies the scorpion: “It’s my nature…”