Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thai cave rescue imminent

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hi all

Looks like they may start trying to bring these boys out of the cave today.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2018/jul/08/thailand-cave-rescue-operation-divers-trapped-boys-live

Collective thoughts, prayers, etc please!!

NMADDPJeroenDavidShoshin

Comments

• NMADDPNMADDP SUN Diego, California Veteran

Namo Amitabha Buddha
    Namo Shakyamuni Buddha
    Namo Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva
    Namo Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva

Namo Guan Shi Yin Pu sa

A Mi Tuo Fo

BunksDavidShoshinlobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It seems the first couple have emerged but the whole operation may take a couple of days. I wish them all the best of luck, it can’t be easy to make your first dive under such dangerous conditions.

David
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

No doubt. I hope nobody told any of the kids about the one diver losing his life.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Is anyone else curious how a group of boys, trapped in a cave for two weeks, should manage to dominate a news cycle filled with people who are homeless, hungry, dying and ravaged in a variety of other ways and have been that way for a lot more than two weeks?

Don't get me wrong: I wish the boys well, but it just seems a bit curious to me.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2018

Thanks, @Bunks that certainly helps....
    I think much of it hinges on the credibility of the article, as well.

So much rubbish, fantasy, exaggeration and false information has been spread around by the public, media and press, regarding the detaining of people entering the USA illegally, that frankly, it has done the situation a disservice, because either people believe EVERYTHING they read, and perpetuate a state of lies, or they dismiss it ALL as false news, even though it may well, in fact, be true. We become either gullible or cynical to extremes, neither of which are favourable mind-sets to adopt.

The other factor is that due to prolonged exposure and constant access to such incidents, we sadly become inured to it. (I and others have spoken of this state elsewhere....just type the word 'inured' in our search box...)

Yesterday evening I watched a programme on Police Work in the UK, regarding the prosecution and surveillance of paedophiles. The Police Team charged with investigating this particular crime, need much counselling and psychological supervision when first assuming their duties within this sector, but as time goes on, they need less and less, as horror, outrage, revulsion and compassion are transformed into duty, determination and professionalism, as they seek the perpetrator and evidence against him/her, and determine they will fee the full weight of the Law upon them.
    After a while, the images are images.

Sure, some officers cannot go through this psychological barrier, and they never can become "disaffected". But others manage to compartmentalise their work, and section off the distastful and gruesome, revolting and inhumane images they have to view, by force of their positions.

It's a form of self-shielding and self-protection.

And sometimes, there's nothing we can do about it, but be aware it happens, and cultivate our Compassion, through Wisdom and Understanding.

BunkslobsterJeffrey
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I think I would add the factor of the current state of the media. With so many sources, there is a big need to attract eyeballs and clicks. That incentivizes clickbait headlines and sensational stories rather than more important but more mundane stories.

I don't know the solution, but each of us can be more selective about our own news feed and the way we consume media. I've changed to getting news through a few weekly recap podcasts and long form magazine articles. To me it seems like so much of the less important sensational stuff gets filtered out and the focus is on the important longer range issues. I didn't even hear about this story until this past Saturday and I really don't feel any worse off for not knowing.

@Bunks article also reminds me of the utilitarian philosopher Peter Singer. He makes the argument that most of us would consider not saving a drowning child because it would ruin our new $500 suit quite immoral, but are fine with not donating $500 on mosquito nets in developing countries which would save several lives. There is also the trolley problem, where people would pull a track switch so the trolley would kill one person instead of five but would be much less likely to actively push a large person in front of the trolley to save five people. There seems to be something in our evolutionary or social makeup that makes us feel differently about these things.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

This is as sound as it gets..... <3

With humble thanks to @Brian for publishing this......

Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Apparently the boys coach had spent some time as a Buddhist monk...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/10/stanford-expert-explains-how-meditation-helped-the-thai-boys-survive.html

@Kerome... If you look closely... that's just about the same story I put in my post above yours...

That’ll teach me not to click on every shortened link... :)

federica

Legend story related to the Thai cave

The Thai cave, the monk and the sleeping princess
    https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/the-thai-cave-the-monk-and-the-sleeping-princess-20180705-p4zpnj.html

Monk Who Predicted Thai Cave Rescue Hailed for ‘Intervention’
    https://www.irrawaddy.com/news/burma/monk-predicted-thai-cave-rescue-hailed-intervention.html

A Mi Tuo Fo

Bunks

@Kerome said:
    That’ll teach me not to click on every shortened link... :)

Part of my 'job' is to check everything out... so I'm not really surprised you missed it.... Not to worry! :D

edited July 2018

'Takes the edge off': the cute cartoons that portrayed perils of Thai cave rescue

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/13/takes-the-edge-off-the-cute-cartoons-that-portrayed-perils-of-thai-cave-rescue#img-1

A Mi Tuo Fo

Bunks