Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Good Quality Mala

Can anybody please recommend a decent Mala. I’ve bought a number over the years but they’ve always ended up feeling a little cheap, whether it’s cheap feeling beads or cheap string or elastic that break after little use.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2018

I have always made my own... there are a couple of very good videos online on how to secure the beads with interspacing knots to prevent huge loss in case of breaking, and a nice video on finishing a slip knot....

lobsterKundoherberto
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

This might be of interest

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited July 2018

I also make my own. However, the one place I have purchased from and been exceptionally pleased with is http://www.custommalashop.com

• I’ve made my own in the past but wanted something special this time. The ones I have made tended to have either the nylon or elasticated cord I’m now trying to avoid, is there a strong but comfortable cord you would recommend?

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited July 2018

I've always found knotting them makes them last longer. I use cord.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@FairyFeller said:
    I’ve made my own in the past but wanted something special this time. The ones I have made tended to have either the nylon or elasticated cord I’m now trying to avoid, is there a strong but comfortable cord you would recommend?

Any good craft shop will have suitable threads for beading - but as @Kundo says, knotting between the beads is a way of creating a stronger bond. The video I posted also shows in detail how to do that, and if you wish, you can knot between every 3, 6 or 9 beads... that way, even if the mala does break, you've only unthreaded a limited number of beads, and can gather them up more easily.
    Finishing off with the knot (video also posted) gives that 'professional' look....

(As I post, it's 3am. Insomnia sucks.... )

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Maybe 'Budo Beads' which are suitable for hell realm deployment ... ?

OM MANI PEME WAM

o:)

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited July 2018

I remember when I used to deal with mala’s that some people used elastic cord, so that if you were in some situation where a lot of stress is placed on the mala it just stretches. That worked well for kids and such. We used to get Indian mala’s with wooden beads.

• kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

Budo beads, a tool for self discovery is about right! :p

• After much deliberation I’m making one for home use and buying a nice one. What’s the best thread to use for longevity of the Mala? What I thought was a strong nylon one the I’ve only had for a short while has already snapped and a waxed cotton one I made and thought was fraying has actually settled in and looks like it’s going to last for years.

Have you considered fishing nylon...? That stuff's amazing....

• FairyFellerFairyFeller Veteran
    edited July 2018

I’ve got miles of the stuff, some of it strong enough for the Budo beads. It’s a bit rigid but I used to make my own gear, including ones with beads that needed keeping in place with minute clips...

• herbertoherberto Arizona Explorer

I wear wrist malas, most of them held together with elastic string. I work as a machinist /mechanic and they're easy to take off when I'm working around moving machinery. The problem I've found is that the elastic stretches out over time. I'm starting to prefers the more traditional and authentic malas held together with string and secured using a slip not. They hold up much longer, it just takes some practice grabbing both strings to tighten them up.
    I'm very interested in making my own and will check out some how to videos.