Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interesting turn of events...

buddhakaibuddhakai Explorer
edited August 2018 in Faith & Religion

So... I was married for almost ten years. A few years into my marriage I discovered Buddhism, and felt that it saved me in many ways. I read and sought teachings and deepened my practice throughout the years. Ultimately, I ended up divorced. My ex-wife kind of lost her mind and ended up dating a mysogynistic, women-beating, meth-addicted psychopath. I took my two children and moved on with my life, leaving her to her own devices. Well, her father inherited close to a quarter of a million dollars and she's now trying to get some visitations with our children. My wife and I had starting going to a Christian church with our children for appearances a while ago. I am now employed by said church and have increasingly started to feel that between the people there that have lovingly accepted my family, and the seemingly undeniable turn of events that have benefited my family and I, that maybe there is something legitimate here. I was raised Catholic and lost faith in that establishment YEARS ago, but this feels legitimate. I fully believe in the Buddhist teachings, but now I feel that there may be a god. I feel that I'm being called upon to have faith and that there is a god, one whom I have denied for years. I still meditate on a daily basis and provide water offerings, but I wonder if god can exist in a Buddhist's life. I was so sure about what I believed after I found Buddhism, I still believe that meditation, karma, reincarnation, and the Dharma are the way, but I feel an undeniable draw here that I can't ignore. I'm immensely confused by this turn of events and don't know what to think of it.

Comments

• kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

Quite a few catholics have been involved in and interested in Buddhism, practiced meditation and mindfulness. Thomas Merton to name just one. No need to be conflicted, I know others on here will know a lot more about this than I do :)

buddhakaipersonKundo
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited August 2018

Although that path is not for me, I found it interesting to read Thich Nhat Hanh’s Living Buddha, Living Christ, in which he draws a number of parallels between mainstays of the Christian faith and Buddhist concepts. It seems more than a few people do combine the two. Perhaps @federica will have a few things to say about it, she has mentioned in the past that she has some ties to the Christian faith.

buddhakaipersonKundo
  • buddhakaibuddhakai Explorer
    edited August 2018

I guess auto correct changed the heading to turn *off (of) events, which drives me nuts, as I'm majoring in journalism/mass communications. But anyway, I can't edit it so I guess I just want you to know that I know it's wrong ?

Moderator note: Have no fear, it irked me too, so no worries - I "helped"! ;)

• In all honesty, I do think they are quite different, although I know some traditional Christians (non-gnostic/non-mystic) who may have taken on aspects of Buddhist ideas or taken inspiration, or made their own thing.
    One is about getting salvation from God/Jesus (or slightly different) without having to do much extra work (salvation is given once you fufill a few requirements). The other is more 'salvation' through more intentional doings requiring your own effort/input and not so much through a god figure as such (or well that depends exactly what you are practising already), the sort of faith that is required is different.

But if you are drawn to something, likely you may want investigate what it is as much as possible and why.. my view of such things in general quite negative, I do not think any external separate god is useful to look upon for several reasons as well as the contradictions in such teachings.
    Overall you need not know labels and you find out for yourself what works for you, what understanding is. Be careful in seeking comfort in something, challenge yourself to find out what you are looking for, if anything at all.

person
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited August 2018

Does this desire to believe come from intuition or from the external world?

Do you suppose an unconditional love would care if you are Catholic?

• OM MANI PEME JESUS H CHRIST (Tibetan Mantra - sort of)
    LORD BUDDHA HAVE MERCY ON ME A BUDDHIST SINNER (Jesus Prayer - sort of)

Here is how this has been answered previously ...

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/15908/christian-buddhist

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/16918/paul-williams-from-buddhism-to-catholicism

good luck - COD be with you ... <3

• Outstanding answer from @federica <3

@David said:
    Do you suppose an unconditional love would care if you are Catholic?

Metta, Maitri bhavana, compassion, friendliness, puja, meditation, contemplation, mantra can all be found in Catholic practice. Some Buddhists do such things too ... ;)

• The Philokalia of the Niptic Fathers,
    • the Stations of The Cross,
    • The Jesus Prayer
    • The Cloud of Unknowing
    • Practical Mysticism, Evelyn Underhill
    • and Christian Mysticism

... should keep your journey inward ...
    http://www.frimmin.com/faith/lotuscross.php

Davidkando