Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2018

OK, LISTEN UP GUYS:

Auntie Fede is going away on holiday this sunday 5th August - to 25th
    @Linc knows, and @karasti , who has had her hands very full for some time now with several commitments, is also informed.

So youz guys had better be good!
    I don' wanna come back to mayhem. You behave for these good people, okay...?!

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited August 2018

You could always deputise @lobster if you get stuck ;)

Vastmind
  • @federica said:

I try. ?
    Just don't make me a deputy, as my first act will probably be to ban myself ... ?

?

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@lobster said:

@federica said:

I try. ?
    Just don't make me a deputy, as my first act will probably be to ban myself ... ?

?

Hoisted by your own petard....!!

On my walk this afternoon (exploring my new surroundings) I came across this mural painted on the side of a container that was sitting in a field...

lobsterBunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I came across a Dutch artist named Peter Vos yesterday, and he made quite an impression on me. Here’s a sample of his work...

lobsterShoshin

@Kerome , it comes across as Shamanistic in nature...I like it :)

On my exploratory walk this afternoon...It was a Wow Moment walking into the unknown...(plus I was hot & sweaty by the time I reached the lookout point...but well worth it :) )

lobsterJeroenBunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

When I got home last night I was greeted by this guy beside my front door....the photo doesn't really do him justice though. He was about 12 cms across....

Shoshin
    edited August 2018

The image is not clear.... it could be a Huntsman Spider @Bunks :) But then again Aussie's got heaps of different spider species ....

edited August 2018

I ventured here this afternoon

However the first part of the track wasn't quite tranquil, I had to watch my footing (focus my attention) as it was still quite boggy due to past rains...
    Further along the track it was more tranquil/dry so I could focus on whatever took my fancy...

Oh and I came across this Yurt tent in the Steiner kindy grounds (which is next door) ..

Is that on Waiheke @Shoshin?

Yes the kindy and the bushwalk are close to where I'm now living ...more or less next door...

Bunks

As some of you may know, I recently moved and in moving I down sized my teapot collection...However I was in one of the local op shops looking for a small cupboard for my new place and came a cross this irresistible teapot...

I didn't find a cupboard but I bought the next best thing...That irresistible teapot...Who needs a cupboard when they can have a nice teapot instead :)

Bunks

Oh, goodness, yes @Shoshin, priorities, priorities!

ShoshinBunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited August 2018

My teapot collection is obviously not worthy... accumulated by accident when teapots refused to die while I had to buy a new one, I now have three.

@Kerome said:
    My teapot collection is obviously not worthy...

That's blasphemy @Kerome ...How dare you say a teapot is not worthy ;):lol:

This was interesting, Tshering Tobgay who is the prime minister of Bhutan, talking about the country’s policy of gross national happiness and being Carbon negative...

Shoshin

lobster
  • Aunty @federica is on holiday now. Less moderation?

[“must be good, must be good”] o:) Have a great time @federica

edited August 2018

It's beautiful, tranquil and familiar, rather like the overcoat one wears again after the long seasons of being hidden away... It is nearly a decade since my last visit, and that was in a chilly autumn transforming into winter, when my father slipped from his existence into, as Tibétains say, his next bardo... I swear it feels so good to be here, even the most disruptive flamer or troll could do nothing to disturb my serenity.
    Don't push yer luck tho' lobby.... ;)

(* ETA: I have no idea why my 'phone decided to 'post' Tibetans in French. Bien, bah... it has a certaine charm about it!)

Bunks

Enjoy your time away @federica :)

federica
  • I swear it feels so good to be here, even the most disruptive flamer or troll could do nothing to disturb my serenity.

How wonderful.
    Please don't swear. o:);)

Serenity is a good place. The Tibetans also breath in the sun to sustain them in winter ... what a great idea. If we could only bottle it ... Of course we can we ... are a kind of bottle ...

What are we bottling up? Flaming and trolling, anger, resentment or the good stuff ... Dharma is very simple ... <3

OM MANI PEME VIVA HOME

BunksJeroen

Thank you, @Shoshin , am doing so.... ;)

Shoshin
    edited August 2018

@lobster said:
    What are we bottling up? Flaming and trolling, anger, resentment or the good stuff ... Dharma is very simple ... <3

Thanks @lobster for a moment of clarity. Often when interacting with the other we form complex pictures in our thoughts of how we think the world is, and then when presented with something new - we are a bottle - you notice a lot of the other stuff consists of mirrors and projections.

It’s a good question though, what do we bottle up? Or rather what is the thing that arises out of us when put under pressure? With me I often return to fear, that when I encounter something new the first thing I end up looking for is what to fear and so I generate fear inside myself.

But what do we want to bottle up? Should there even be a ‘want’ in that question? Desire lurks around every corner but wanting to make ones mind a playground of good emotions, is that the way forward? You can’t continually fight the instinct of self preservation... it’s a pickle, perhaps worthy of its own thread :)

lobster

Just goes to show, you can have all the money and fame in the world but you still can't get to sleep at night......

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-18/tesla-shares-fall-as-ceo-admits-job-stress-is-getting-to-him/10135862

federica
    edited August 2018

Bush track up from the beach

As I reached the end of the track I came across some Wallabies grazing and admiring the view...
    A couple more were heading towards me, so I wished them luck for Saturday's match against the All Blacks...(and under my breath I said "you're gonna need it ;) ) I got a "Thanks for that" from one of them :)

Just so you know Wallabies as in the Aussie national rugby team and not the marsupial

They are staying on the island till Saturday, they have been here for a week (licking their wounds ;)

BTW I had just walked to the far end of the beach and back again....

Bunkskando

I visited the property next door to my place, where there's a vineyard..I was wanting to find out when the spray programme will start and to see if I can get a spray plan and spray diary which shows what chemicals are used and when they will be sprayed..

It turned out the owners of the property don't own the vineyard, they lease the land to a local winery ...Anyhow as I was driving up the long driveway I spied ...
    Buddhas here ....

Buddhas there...

Buddhas Buddhas everywhere....

Bunkslobster

Seems like a nice place...!

BunksShoshin
  • ShimShim Veteran

Surprise Buddhas!

lobster

@federica said:

OK, LISTEN UP GUYS:

Auntie Fede is going away on holiday this sunday 5th August - to 25th ....
    I don' wanna come back to mayhem. You behave for these good people, okay...?!

Ok, I am now officially 'Back on the Job' although the more alert among you (that's pretty much everyone!) will know that I have been able, thanks to the universally-available 'Wi-Fi, to log on, clock in, watch, view and comment... but the Holiday is over, and it's back to the daily grind...
    I have not been in frequent touch with work (Jeesh, who needs that - ?!) but our store is scheduled for closure, so am uncertain what updates I will be apprised of when I return there tomorrow...
    The powers-that-be there, dictate we must book holidays far in advance, (I put in a request for summer 2019 in June of this year!) and I have been granted the requested weeks, but it's anyone's guess whether I shall still even be employed then...

Nice to be back. Head full of memories, it was wonderful. A much needed and totally-appreciated rest. In three weeks, I ploughed my way through 6 books of 'Appropriate Holiday reading matter'. Nothing too heavy... literal chewing-gum for the mind, but enjoyable and noteworthy, none-the-less. (Not Mills & Boon rubbish. Thought-provoking and interesting, but nothing that over-burdened the grey matter....)

Ok. Cracking on....

BunksShoshin
  • I managed to go for a long river walk yesterday. Photo of young heron catching fish ... Respect. We lobsters know good fishing technique ... I was looking for two massive Wels catfish released illegally. May have seen them (right area) Something large was splashing about ... ;)

Shoshinkando

"Educating yourself does not mean that you were stupid in the first place ; it means that you are intelligent enough to know that there is plenty left to learn." - Melanie Joy

I like that. :)

Bunkslobster
  • RojehoRojeho CT Explorer
    edited September 2018

Six degrees of separation is not nearly enough for me. I need all 360.

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2018

I found out what was splashing about ...

It was not the (up to three metre long) Wels catfish but small trout (few inches long). Back to the search for river naga/monsters ... ;)

• kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

Trying to post this photo of a bevy of swans on Lough Erne, but our broadband is down again. (The irish are not great engineers, at least not the ones out here in the wilds of Fermanagh!) hope the attached is viewable.

Bunks

@kando said:
    Trying to post this photo of a bevy of swans on Lough Erne, but our broadband is down again. (The irish are not great engineers, at least not the ones out here in the wilds of Fermanagh!) hope the attached is viewable.

It is. And it's lovely....

Well a few months ago my old car gave up the ghost

I sold it to the local wreckers for $70
    I had to buy another car, so I bought this

The newest old model I have even bought 2006 (I've never owned a car over 1995)..

Anyhow I've had it for a few months now and just 'yesterday' I realised that I didn't need to have the key in the ignition to start it...Wow magic ...all I need to do is have the key on my person or in the car for it to start...I'm still getting over the fact I just need to press little icon thingys on the key ring and it opens and locks the doors...and NOW I don't need to put the key into the ignition...this is just mind blowing magic ;) ...

I wonder what I will find out about it next ??? Maybe it can fly too ;)

BTW I only bought it because I like the colour :)

lobster

Nice @Shoshin! Have you worked out how to open the bonnet yet? :)

What's a bonnet ??? ;)

lobster
    edited September 2018

I had to ask the petrol station assistant how to open the petrol door and the bonnet...when I found out that I needed to put petrol and oil in it, in order for it to run ... ;)

Bunkslobster

I can empathise mate....I bought a car that was obviously made in Europe or the USA and couldn't find the lever to open the bonnet for the life of me!

Eventually I discovered it in the leg well on the passenger side where the steering wheel would normally be.

Doh!

Shoshin

Just a cautionary tale... Recently here in the UK, a guy who uses a van for work, started the engine before he reached the vehicle, with a remote key. Little realising he had inadvertently left the van in gear, it jumped forward - and ran him over.
    He broke both legs and 4 ribs, was in hospital for 3 months and couldn't work for over a year.

I can't find that particular news story, because I saw it on a Driving/Car programme here... But it happens more frequently than you'd think...

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Man-Run-Over-by-Own-Car-297492711.html

Frankly, in my opinion, these gadgets are also an open invitation for nefarious opportunists to take advantage of.
    To every 'plus' there is a minus. Take care, @Shoshin ...

@Shoshin said:
    I had to ask the petrol station assistant how to open the petrol door and the bonnet...

There's a solution to that... RTFM.

I sat in a petrol station for 2 minutes after buying my new (2nd hand) car, trying to locate the petrol cap flap-door release. Then - I took the Car Booklet out, and after reading the index, found the elusive loop... But the Station attendant admitted his daughter bought a similar car, and it took her 2 hours to find the release, because she wouldn't RTFM!!
    (I drive a Mazda MX5 convertible....)

Bunks

Nice car @federica ...

Hmm I'm not sure if there is a manual ......I haven't figured out how to open the glove compartment yet ;):lol:

My car's not remote start, I still have to turn the ignition switch, but I don't need to insert the key, just have it on me or in the car...

The other thing to be wary of @Shoshin is the cautionary tale of my mate who has a similar vehicle i.e. push button car but key required on her person or in the car.

She had the keys when she started the car but hubby took them inside and she managed to leave without them.

Then of course she got to where she was going, stopped the car and was unable to start it again to get home!

Thankfully hubby was able to drive to get her with the keys.

Shoshin

Nice! We have something similar every year in Western Australia

edited September 2018

Mother Nature being wonderful

My walk along the beach this afternoon I spied...

Neptune was here... fork print in the sand.. :)

Taking a leaf out of Mother Nature's book :)

paulyso

This morning I awoke to bird song....in my mind

Bunkskando