Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to be Naughty?

@Kerome posted the below naughtiness to avoid. So take note. What concessions can be made to the non fanatical goodlies and the dharma-drowned needing a break? I bought the above sign in a £1 shop. I was gonna hang it around my garden Buddhas neck but his head is too big. The sign has gone up. It is very wikid. Do you occasionally make peace with your Sith nature?

Main klesha's
1. Desire
2. Anger
3. Pride
4. Ignorance
5. Wrong Doubts
6. Wrong Views

Secondary klesha's
1. Aggression
2. Ill-will
3. Secrecy
4. Hatefulness
5. Jealousy
6. Avarice
7. Deceit
8. Hypocrisy
9. Vanity
10. Cruelty
11. Shamelessness
12. Lack of consideration
13. Lethargy
14. Agitation
15. Suspicion
16. Laziness
17. Indifference
18. Forgetfulness
19. Inattention
20. Distraction

yagrJeroen

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

You're turning me into a hypochondriac! :p

Shoshinlobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I think it's a very good list... we are all intimately familiar with at least a few of them, and being reminded of their existence means we can become a bit more vigilant towards our encounters with them.

Most of the minor ones decompose into elements in which the major ones play a great role, and I've found it very helpful to gain a deeper understanding of the minor klesha's which sneak up and try to gain a grip on your mind. When you imprint on yourself that indifference is a form of avoidance and lethargy and a lack of positive elements such as compassion and energy, you begin to understand more how the klesha's constrain you and keep you from expressing the best of yourself.

sova
  • Dharma practice is pragmatic. Claws up who knew ;)

In other words it is a practical means, developed over centuries by full time explorers, to deal with life, the universe and everything.

We duz haz plan!

DhammikaZenshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I find it useful to return to this once in a while... it's like familiarity with the emotions and the names opens certain doors, allows you to see things more clearly in the moment.

I was reading about the klesha’s in yoga, where there are only 5 but they are a linked chain, and it put me in mind of this list. It is good to revisit it, perhaps with analytical meditation.

• kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

How to be naughty if you are a revered and much loved zen master:
    'A woman was pouring tea for guests in the kitchen at Plum Village, France. The tea cups were straightly arrayed on the tray and the amount of tea in each cup was exactly the same, as she had been trained in a Japanese-style Zen centre in the United States. THICH Nanh Hanh walked by and saw what she was doing. Smiling at her he put his finger in one cup after another. '
    (from Essential Zen, a book I am loving :)

• I was reading @Jeffrey post elsewhere ...

The Eight Worldly Concerns:
    Attachment to gain, pleasure, praise, and fame.
    Aversion to loss, pain, blame, and bad reputation.

Reminded me of 'The Christians' (a sort of fantastical super hero death cult-dharma) o:) who put it like this:
    1 Corinthians 9:19-23 (dedacted to protect the terminally Buddhist)
    19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

They sure are naughty ... I like them :3;)

• paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

apostle paul golden moment dharma,parapraising:if i don't have charity--dana or gift giving--or love--metta--then im just noise.

kando
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

Recognition of the kleshas is very helpful, especially when we consider that an enlightened being and (self-sustaining) illuminated minds come about through their own natural purity as well as the propensity of the practitioner to practice the Way.

Often (lately) I find my main obstacle is in letting go. More specifically, I am not as thorough as I can be in making my mindstream placid and loving at times, and instead I'm holding on to a subtle imprint of aggression or covetousness. Again, maybe not a deal breaker from time to time, but if you are trying to live expansively 100% of the time it can really get you all mixed up.

The original translation of the Pali is not "to let go" but actually "to throw away" or "to chuck [far] away" so consider that for some subtle emotions that are hard to let go of, instead of letting them dissipate, chuck them far away!

^_^

lobster

'sounding brass and tinkling cymbal' the man said, in the King James version, although replacing 'charity' with 'love' was a good move. That whole chapter could be Buddhist.

paulyso
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

hi kando!nice to meet you.great response.

Nice to meet you too, @paulyso :)

edited September 2018

How to be naughty if you're the Dalai Lama (John Daido Loori Roshi tells this story in one of his Dharma talks) how at a ceremony HHDL had to leave the hall to go to the toilet and on his way back to the platform passed John Loori, stopped and came back to him. He then started laughing, pointed a finger, said 'zen master!' and hit him. :)

lobsterAlex
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2018

Tee Hee @kando - be kind to the zeniths ... :p

Here is one of my favourite encounters ...
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/13919/zen-master-vs-tibetan-lama

“If it weren’t for my mind, my meditation would be excellent.”
    – Pema Chodron

Suffice to say many enlightened and humorous zeniths here ...
    https://zen1.space/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=276

kando

Love the Pema Chodron quote, ain't it the truth! Now where did I put that orange........ Or was it a tangerine.... :)

Someone was interested in this list the other day... I couldn’t immediately remember the name of the thread and now I can’t find the post that I was responding to... anyway it is a good list of the klesha’s, it is worth doing some introspection and seeing which of these might be a fit for you.