Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Chicken-Free Chicken

2»

Comments

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I’m sorry for my language and aggression on my post on rabid vegans. But my stance still remains. No one is above reproach.
    ??????

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2018

@Shoshin said:
    Hmm let's see....

My daily diet mainly consist of vegetables, fruits and nuts...
    So in a nutshell...I guess I'm a vegetarian, fruitarian and I'm also a bit of a nut job :)

I'll join you and drink a cup of almond milk to that!

Kundo
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Kurzgesagt dropping the knowledge once again.

Shoshin
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I tried another recipe with meatless chicken.
    https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/avocado_chicken_salad/

The chicken had to do more of the work in this one than the one I tried previously. Texture wise it was acceptable, it wasn't quite there but it wasn't rubbery like previous meatless chicken was. For me though, the taste didn't really hold up, the previous recipe's dressing had more of a punch that hid the "chicken's" taste, which has a slight but noticeable offness to it.

So for this brand of Gardein chicken strips I'll probably keep trying it in dishes where the taste can be hidden with a strong flavor from the rest of the meal. I'll probably try other meatless products as well to see what works and what doesn't. I expect the progress in quality to continue as well.

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Slightly off topic (well not really off...still about the meatless :) )

Just recently I visited my son who lives in Berlin and was amazed at how many vegan & vegetarian cafes & restaurants there were...

There seemed to be one on every corner ( well not really one of every corner, but there were heaps :) )....no shortage of places to eat for vegans & vegetarians...

• GuiGui Veteran

Kundo
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

I can appreciate the environmental impact and suffering caused by eating meat. I tried going vegetarian years ago, but ran into some problems. Firstly, my GI tract rebelled after four months and caused no end of problems. The second problem I ran into was cooking. I have some health problems that make standing up for 30 - 60 minutes difficult, and I don't like the large amount of time 'wasted' that goes into food preparation.

So what vegetarian options are there for the person who can't cook or spend a lot of time preparing food? Thanks to my meat-loving microbiome, I probably have to have some meat in my diet, but I should be able to manage some meat-free days. However, I live in the Deep South of the USA, where there are few 'vegetarian cafes', or vegetarian anything. Fried chicken and barbecue are the meals du jour...