Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bliss

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited September 2018 in General Banter

When it comes to discussing meditation the term Bliss or Blissful often pops up...

What comes to mind when one thinks of Bliss ?

When it comes to bliss...I'm ignorant :)

Is Sukha Bliss ?

Some researchers have proposed that a "shift" in the activity of the medial prefrontal cortex is what supports a state of inner fulfillment and equanimity.

Hozan

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

A spacious emptiness filled with wellbeing,
    a pervading faith in kindness,
    a gentle physical pleasure...

Bliss has different reflections.

ShoshinHozanJeffrey
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Oh man! If there is one thing that gets my goat it's this modern day tendency to turn bliss and joy into "a shift in the activity of the medial prefront cortex"...

KundoHozanShoshin
  • I thought bliss was an emotion.

Shoshin
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

is calm bliss the unity of equimity and ease? the faculty of ease and presence?

lobsterHozanShoshin
  • From my experience, I would say @paulyso is closest. It is not unusual for sustained practice to lead to well being/bliss ... eventually.
    Ideally it is not an emotion, state or craving for permenance.

In that sense it is empty or without an opposite ...
    http://www.homeoint.org/morrell/buddhism/bliss.htm

HozanShoshinpaulyso
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I guess I don't know what exactly it is, but I would think that at a minimum it is a quality that is internally generated rather than externally caused.

ShoshinHozan
  • RojehoRojeho CT Explorer

Can bliss be explained in words by someone who is not experiencing that state? And could someone in that state convey an understanding? If they could, how would we even begin to understand?

ShoshinHozan
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2018

'Bliss' can also be termed as 'Ecstasy' in the sense that an overwhelmingly powerful and indescribable state of complete and all-encompassing happiness is felt, with a totally empty mind. it has been documented among Saints.

(ETA: Link)

ShoshinHozan
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Hmm to answer my own question ...this comes to mind...But I could be wrong :)

Before Bliss-Chop wood fetch water (same ol same ol)-After Blissed-Chop wood fetch water ...(wearing an inner smile that spreads outwards)

paulyso
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

I don't know what bliss is, but I would sure like to find out. At the moment, I seem to have a much clearer idea of what it is not. =)

• The theistic ecstasy that @federica mentions comes from love and devotion. It is found within Buddhist Tantric Guru devotion AND has to be gone beyond. It like secular love, has elements of loss, pain and denial when away from the object of devotion. So it is still ignorance or clinging ...

Eventually ...
    When I turn My Face from you Lord Cod
    Do you still Exist in Blissful Intoxicating Longing?

Very Well

I believe in No-About-Face
    No Form or Emptiness
    No Bless or Buddy Bliss

Let’s Fish for Buddha Saki

@Fosdick said:
    I don't know what bliss is, but I would sure like to find out. At the moment, I seem to have a much clearer idea of what it is not. =)

May you be well @Fosdick …. <3 Metta

• kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

@federica said:
    'Bliss' can also be termed as 'Ecstasy' in the sense that an overwhelmingly powerful and indescribable state of complete and all-encompassing happiness is felt, with a totally empty mind.

This is my understanding of the word, it's a feeling that can't really be explained, but it is like becoming totally creative, as if there is nothing else anywhere but joy!I've be lucky to experience it a few times but afterwards it leaves you in the same state as Caliban in the Tempest, crying to dream again. I wonder if enlightenment is being in that state perpetually?

Shoshinlobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@kando said:

@federica said:
    'Bliss' can also be termed as 'Ecstasy' in the sense that an overwhelmingly powerful and indescribable state of complete and all-encompassing happiness is felt, with a totally empty mind.

This is my understanding of the word, it's a feeling that can't really be explained, but it is like becoming totally creative, as if there is nothing else anywhere but joy!I've be lucky to experience it a few times but afterwards it leaves you in the same state as Caliban in the Tempest, crying to dream again. I wonder if enlightenment is being in that state perpetually?

If you read Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now", he prefaces the book with his own experience of what one could describe as 'Bliss'. He continued in this state for some considerable time, and although it 'calmed, dissipated and mellowed' he still retained the "after-Effect" and did not go back to his 'Before-Bliss' state...

Say what you want about the man, attach whichever level of credence you will, it's quite a down-to-earth description.
    I could find no reason to be sceptical of his account.

Hozanlobsterkando
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

@Shoshin said:

Hmm to answer my own question ...this comes to mind...But I could be wrong :)

Before Bliss-Chop wood fetch water (same ol same ol)-After Blissed-Chop wood fetch water ...(wearing an inner smile that spreads outwards)

ive heard another zen phrase:before ectasy,laundry;after ectasy,laundry.i can only guess,this is bliss with excitement. =) yeah been there.

Shoshin
  • This is interesting topic to me because I have had interesting mental states from schizoaffective bipolar subtype. The states can be maddening and frustrating in a way but colors can be brighter and you can find enjoyment more easily. I wonder if there is any kind of neurological similarity between those states I have experienced and the bliss from meditation.

Back to the topic of what Buddhism says about bliss I don't recall my teacher talking specifically about bliss, but 'the nature of mind' is something she talks about a lot. And part of 'the nature of mind' as sentient beings we have feeling and are sensitive to our world. And as part of that feeling is the potential to feel well being.

And then another thought I've had is listening to Thich NHat Hanh (dang auto correct spelling grrr) is that he talks about the pleasures of just breathing and the way he talks about it almost humorously sounds (occurred to me) like breathing is like an ice cream cone that he is eating and enjoying.

Shoshinkando
    edited September 2018

They say "Ignorance is Bliss" but obviously, that's along the same lines as "What the eyes don't see, the heart doesn't grieve over", or "what you don't know won't hurt"... But I sometimes wonder if, in order to attain a state of Bliss, we don't need to lay aside everything we think we know....?

Remembering the film "Dr Strange" he himself had to abandon all his deeply intellectual and acquired knowledge, and 'empty his cup'.... Only then was he able to abandon himself to the mysticism and spiritual mystery of that which is unseen, but is greater than the sum of its parts....

Maybe 'Let Go and Let Be' is a far more profound lesson than I personally gave it credit for....

Shoshinkandolobster
  • @federica said:
    Maybe 'Let Go and Let Be' is a far more profound lesson than I personally gave it credit for....

We get (karma) credits? B)

In one sense let go and+ blessed bee are the base of all progress as an unlearning rather than a tightening of spiritual understanding ...

Who prefers bliss? If it is empty, who experiences un-bliss? We tighten or loosen up every screw ... crazy ... right ...

Cheers!
    https://www.tlayt.org/samsara-is-nirvana-the-passions-are-enlightenment/

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Hmm samsara is Nirvana? Call me old fashioned but the New-fangled fashion for equating things leaves me cold. I prefer to keep samsara in the samsara-box, which has engraved on it “suffering is here”, and nirvana in the nirvana box which says “bliss here”.

Hmm definatly a case of the piss pot calling the kettle (chamberpot) black ;);)

@Jeffrey said:
    This is interesting topic to me because I have had interesting mental states from schizoaffective bipolar subtype. The states can :) be maddening and frustrating in a way but colors can be brighter and you can find enjoyment more easily. I wonder if there is any kind of neurological similarity between those states I have experienced and the bliss from meditation.

There is always a lot of psychological speculation about the states of mind artists and poets have discribed being neurological in origin @Jeffrey and they have grounds, I found out later in life that I had Aspergers syndrome, which explained a lot about my social klutziness! The bliss states are very intense, mystics have usually mentioned hightened colours and joy. I personally think it goes deeper than neurons but I could be wrong, I often am :)

JeffreylobsterShoshin

@federica said :)

Remembering the film "Dr Strange" he himself had to abandon all his deeply intellectual and acquired knowledge, and 'empty his cup'.... Only then was he able to abandon himself to the mysticism and spiritual mystery of that which is unseen, but is greater than the sum of its parts....

Have a lifelong passion for Dr Strange, loved the comics as a kid, and the fact that Benedict Cumberbatch played him in the film has nothing to do with my loving it! :) But letting go and letting be is also becoming one of the more difficult and multi faceted lessons I am learning, slowly.

@kando
    One of my clients has AS (as well as being diagnosed with a list of other mental conditions) he said at times it's as if everything is so intense, colours, sounds coming at you all at once...bombarding the sense doors from all directions...

He's very gifted, fluent Maori speaker, for a while he was teaching all the staff Maori, and about Maori spirituality...

He told me that there was a Maori tribe in the North Island who don't pronounce their "H"s ...Mm so there's ope for me yet to learn Maori.... "Cockney Maori"

He came up with this Maori proverb...which we use as our work logo...
    "Ma Te Murumuru Ka Rere Ai Te Manu" ( adorn the bird with feathers so it can fly)

kando

@Shoshin said:

He came up with this Maori proverb...which we use as our work logo...
    "Ma Te Murumuru Ka Rere Ai Te Manu" ( adorn the bird with feathers so it can fly)

That's exactly what I feel my creativity did for me @Shoshin, it's a wonderful thing to be able to gift to other people. Maori society sounds very generous and emotionally aware, I love the idea of Cockney Maori :)<3

Shoshin
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Shoshin said:

A kid free house (like today ???)

federicakandoShoshin
  • Have a lifelong passion for Dr Strange, loved the comics as a kid, and the fact that Benedict Cumberbatch played him in the film has nothing to do with my loving it!

;)
    It is a True Story :3

:) But letting go and letting be is also becoming one of the more difficult and multi faceted lessons I am learning, slowly.

I too love Dr Strange. Mundane Bliss for secularists ...

kando

Tilda Swinton was an inspired choice also :) I don't know if anyone has seen Derek Jarman's beautiful montage film Glitterbug, a true Swan song, the sequence with Tilda in always makes me cry and smile. Such affection.