Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Enlightenment in one lifetime

2»

Comments

• JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

@federica said:

@pegembara said:

@JaySon said:

Nonetheless, there is a mental continuum that passes from life to life.

Until? Or is it forever and ever without beginning or ending?

who knows? Does it matter? All we know - and focus on - is Now, and improving our lot.

Hehe. I think it's all useful debate for untying knots of delusion such as the self and permanence. At the end of the day though, it's all just notions, ideas, concepts, signs, labels, not ultimate truth.

Shoshin
  • JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

@lobster said:
    @pegembara has provided two excellent posts based on being in the present/mindful being not some imagined cosmic super-sentient future life/realm.

I dub thee Thich Nhat Hanh Junior.

lobsterpegembaraHozanShoshin
  • KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran

The world could do with more Thich Nhat Hanh’s, he has a great handle on peace.

HozanKundo
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Kerome said:
    The world could do with more Thich Nhat Hanh’s, he has a great handle on peace.

Because he knows where to look :)

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Didn't finish all the comments, but TNH is not Tibetan...Ethnically or in his Buddhist practice. Nor has he ever suggested that he is enlightened. I believe when he's been asked he's simply said "I'm just a monk."

I think it's a bit misleading to say "in a single lifetime" versus "in this lifetime." I've not once heard from any teacher in the Tibetan tradition that in one single human carnation/lifetime, enlightenment is possible. Of course, really, anything is possible and my experience doesn't mean others haven't said it. I just haven't heard it as a Tibetan Vajrayana practitioner. I have heard many times that the simplest of farmers could suddenly become enlightened, that it does not take book learning or monasticism but rather experience and wisdom which can be attained in many ways. Anyhow, it has always been taught to me in the form of "in this lifetime" and of course most of us cannot say how many lifetimes we may have lived prior.

HozanDavid
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran
    edited February 10

@pegembara said:
    Is consciousness/subject separate from its objects ie. sights, sounds, smells, taste, touch, feelings, thoughts?

It might be helpful to distinguish here between what happens functionally, and what we then superimpose onto the experience.

Functionally we are always conscious of something, in other words consciousness always has an object, eg eye-consciousness has visible form ( sights ) as an object.

The suttas seem to say that the sense of separation results from appropriating consciousness as "me" and "mine", ie "my consciousness" rather than just "consciousness".

• @JaySon said:
    Beginning and end are just concepts, not reality.

Really? That would make an interesting discussion. ;)

• LionduckLionduck Veteran

As Nichiren Buddhist (SGI), we can most assuredly attain enlightenment in this lifetime. It requires no secret mudras or mantra. our invocation is "Nam myoho range kyo" to which we give the honorific title of Daimoku. If a 50 year member and a 1 day member are sincerely chanting the invocation side by side, their benefit from that action in that moment is equal.

Bunks
  • kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

@JaySon said:

I love Zen. It seems to just skip to the end.

It is the get out of jail free card :) and it begins and ends for me at least with Dogen. He literally wrote the book!

Bunks
  • DavidDavid some guy Veteran

It is our birthright.

• we are bound by ropes of our own making. We are fully capable of breaking those bonds. Happiness and enlightenment in this lifetime are reality. we are the authors of our own stories. life is an adventure. Make it a great one.

lobsterBunkskando
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Perfect expression of potential and activation from @Lionduck

I can and I will and I do practice. Mindfulness is my main being but formal sitting and lately yoga is helpful. I aspire to be a pole dancer at Starfleet Academy ... Probably already a space cadet ...

Who imprisons us? Who frees us? If not now, when?
    Happiness and enlightenment in this lifetime are reality

Bunkskando
  • KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran

It was Dakini who reminded me of what was said in Guy Fronsdal’s book on the athakavagga, that the path is for happiness in this lifetime, and that one shouldn’t worry too much about karma and future births. That makes perfect sense to me.

What I find more interesting is the idea of attachment to the goal of enlightenment. On the one hand it’s unavoidable, on the other hand attachment is bad. And what to do with the idea of maximum effort? It’s a similar pickle.

Bunkslobster
2»