Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why join NewBuddhist?

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator

If someone were lurking around this forum and reading its posts without registering an account, what would you say to them?

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2018

Run! :skull:

oh ... you mean to get them attached? :glasses:

mmm ... Free sex, free drugs. Buddhist Rock and Roll ...

I think I gone wrong again ... :3

Hopefully more useful insights shortly ?

BunksJeroenShoshin
  • NB is a pretty orderly bunch, with a refreshing absence of the kind of nastiness that one too often finds on other B. forums. That's the most striking thing about it, IMO. Good job, admin/mod staff!

lobsterJeroenkando
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2018

I like this place because there are actual Buddhists here who can talk about what that means to them but there is a lot of variety in what people talk about and it's not loads and loads of threads arguing about which sect/doctrine in Buddhism is more convincing with the always fun game of arguing over semantics. So friendly Buddhists not in debate mode all the time though of course a little of debating adds something just not too much.

personlobsterkando
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

If they tolerate me, they'll tolerate just about anyone.

lobsterJeroenkando
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Linc said:
    If someone were lurking around this forum and reading its posts without registering an account, what would you say to them?

"...Hello, may I help you...? :)"

Bunkslobsterkando
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Don't feel intimidated or afraid of sharing your thoughts and feelings we like to be helpful, it generally makes most of us happy, even excited to offer advice and comfort to people.

lobsterJeroenkando
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited October 2018

It’s a great community of buddhists who talk about all aspects of what Buddhism means to them, which makes it a good place to learn and share. We have our fair share of characters and occasional visitors, but you learn to love ‘em.

What I also really appreciate is that people here understand right speech. It’s rare that a word gets said which is not “true, factual and beneficial”.

personJeffrey
  • @person said:
    Don't feel intimidated or afraid of sharing your thoughts and feelings we like to be helpful, it generally makes most of us happy, even excited to offer advice and comfort to people.

Wot a plan! We are all Mahayanists now? <3

Theravadin snobs and hardcore Buddhists are part of our environment. As an infernal eternal beginner, I am always ready to be advised. Ignoring advice is one of my beginner specialities. :3

As an ex-member of a mythological Buddhist cult, I never trust my assesment and alleged discernment. Come to think of it I had to immediately throw myself out of the cult for starting it. Zero membership. Perfect. Phew, that was a close one ...
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/post/52618345165/vehicle-without-any-wheels

@Linc said:

'Know any good Buddhist forums?' o:)

personyagr
  • @Jason said:

We need you, because you have all those sutras at your fingertips! I've learned a lot about the sutras from NB over the years. I'd like to see more of that.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

@Dakini said:

@Jason said:

We need you, because you have all those sutras at your fingertips! I've learned a lot about the sutras from NB over the years. I'd like to see more of that.

No time these days, unfortunately.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2018

No time these days, unfortunately.

Time is capital money. Bring back the sangha!

and now back to RL and leaving money cultism, lurking etc.

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran

For me, my whole study of Buddhism is attributed to internet. After searching for what Buddha taught on Google, then getting the link of the PDF file for What Buddha taught book by Bhante Rahula I think, then I had some meditation query I think which then I searched on Google and then a thread link of this website came, then I registered here. After that, all my little information on Theravada Buddhism, Mahayana Buddhism, Zen Buddhism is attributed to this website by the posts of many kind members here on this website.

lobster
  • kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

Come on in, the water is fine! ?

lobster
  • CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

federicalobster