Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Traditions...and the role they play in your practice.

I’m follow the Theravāda tradition but also enjoy learning about tantric and zen. I have friends who practice in the Mahayana tradition.

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2018

Same. I predominately follow the Thai Theravada tradition, but I've also spent time in Tibetan and Zen centers, and have had a Thai monk who ordained in a Chan lineage as a teacher. I take a very ecumenical approach to spirituality. I think it's a good practice in general.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2018

I follow an online course by a person who received teachings as a nun in the east in the Tibetan tradition. She has a small sangha in the west (across the pond from me) and has thought out a body of teachings that she received but put them in terms of English and western culture. So the tradition plays a role in my practiced because my teacher had received the teachings in the Tibetan lineage so then she passes them on to me.

• There are traditions?
    Ooh I gets to break things! :3

Buddha Akbar o:)
    (Buddha is Greater)
    Lawdy Buddha have mercy on me a Bodhisattva (based on Jesus Prayer) :)
    Blessed Be
    Buddha
    (non traditional wicca dharma) ?
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/14337/a-western-buddhism-is-evolving

yagrKundoERose
  • yagryagr Veteran
    edited October 2018

You saved me some typing @lobster, thank you. I'm not sure whether to be terrified or ecstatic that I'm starting to think like you. Either way, an extra session this week with my therapist couldn't hurt. <3

lobsterKundoShoshinERose
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

My teacher is an old Tibetan monk, born in Tibet, with a Geshe degree. Needless to say, Tibetan Buddhism is HEAVY on tradition and ritual.
    Not quite my cup of tea, but I can see how it works with cognitive-behavioral dynamics to achieve inner change, and how the various rituals parallel the learning modalities. And that makes it "make sense" to me, as a practice.

I have taken some teachings from a Theravadan bhante, so I do Mindfulness meditation as well.
    But my local teacher is this Tibetan monk, so that is what I follow.

In the end our experience is our TRUE teacher.

lobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Certain traditions will speak more to each of us than others. My experience with different traditions is that there are aspects which I find appealing and aspects that I don't. At this point I kind of think there probably isn't a perfect fit for me at least and rather than trying to force the tradition to fit my shape, I'm thinking its more productive to take responsibility for my own mind state and learn to be comfortable with not being comfortable. On the positive side there is usually more opportunity for growth and insight in discord (the nice kind) than harmony (the conformist kind) if one can remain open.

federicaFosdick
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@seeker242 said:
    In the day to day practice, I don't really see much difference between any of the traditions. Everyone keeps the precepts, everyone does meditation, everyone cultivates compassion and kindness, etc. Same difference. =)

Yes, good point. The similarities far outweigh any differences.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2018

@Buddha-Dude said:
    I’m follow the Theravāda tradition but also enjoy learning about tantric and zen. I have friends who practice in the Mahayana tradition.

Excellent.
    The lama who lives on my street (Have not seen him for a few years but I think he is still there) used to visit our local Hindu temple. #metoo. I also go to church very occasionally for a bit of peace and contemplation. My nearest zeniths have probly converted to TM flying ...

as @seeker242 wisely (nearly typed widely) said:

In the day to day practice, I don't really see much difference between any of the traditions. Everyone keeps the precepts, everyone does meditation, everyone cultivates compassion and kindness, etc. Same difference. =)

Exactly so.

• AmanakiAmanaki Norway Explorer

Keeping it to one "tradition" path and it being Theravada for more then 20 years now

• ERoseERose Earth, North America, west. Explorer

Theravada, mostly. Enriched by study and or experience in several traditions including christianity, western philosophy and sciences. But Buddha's disciple, beyond sectarianism or shineys.

federicaColinA
  • @yagr said:
    Either way, an extra session this week with my therapist couldn't hurt. <3

Therapist is a drunk Theravadin? Or did you mean to type The Rapist? Yep what a little space can do ... Gosh. I hope it is helping. ? B)<3

I feel most of us are in part influenced by past experiences, especially religious. It is why the great diversity of approaches to dharma that are possible.

My teacher belonged to very little tradition
    https://cundi.weebly.com/crazies.html

but showed great respect to ... well everyone really ...

yagr
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@seeker242 said:

Well observed, but there are differences in the iconography, in the monk’s robes, in the monk’s traditions, practices like prostrations in Tibetan Buddhism. Agreed there are more similarities than differences though.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@lobster, rape can be a touchy subject for some people... have a care in your humour, dearest....

lobster
  • Indeed @federica :3

My apologies to anyone, including me, who was offended.

yagr