Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Zazen or Mahahudra?

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran
edited October 2018 in Meditation

Hi All,
Has anyone tried mixing Zazen and Mahamudra? I am not asking of mixing 2 traditions, with their own set of spiritual teachings and also understand that the whole tradition needs to be followed to see if it works for an individual, but still from the point of view of meditation, I find Zazen and Mahamudra almost similar as both say to sit and do nothing - not even try to observe anything - am I correct here? Your thoughts please. Thanks.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2018

I wouldn't say the Mahamudra meditation is to sit and do nothing.

What I would say is that a teacher gives hints about meditation and then the student asks the teacher questions. So Mahamudra isn't a set of instructions rather the teacher might ask questions like "what color is your mind"? And then the student responds somehow and the teacher listens and observes the student to see how the student is putting it in their own words what they are experiencing.

For you I might work on understanding your own experience of meditation and explaining it to others rather than trying different instructions. Just pick any instruction and try to understand your own experience and explain it to others. I think you would be bound to go forward if you did that? Like an honest experience of your meditation experience I think others can connect to that and relate.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Jeffrey is right; basically, in a nutshell, I think what he's saying is quit splitting hairs, just sit in any way you feel most comfortable mentally and physically, and Just Do It.

Splitting hairs is causing you yet more angst, and distracts you from actually Meditating at all.
    Clothing, direction, mudras, position, temperature, weather, fitness and location are all also irrelevant, so that clears those up too.... ;)

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

When it comes to meditation, a line I always liked is: "There is a difference between doing nothing and doing nothing."

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

@misecmisc1 said:
    .... both say to sit and do nothing - not even try to observe anything - am I correct here? Your thoughts please. Thanks.

Who on earth has taught you Mahamudra? The practice of Mahamudra is observing the Gross, subtle and very subtle minds, it is certainly not doing nothing. I know little about Zazen but to compare any technique that involves Gross conceptual minds with accessing the very subtle mind is like comparing a Donkey and a Ferrari as a form of Transport.

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    For you I might work on understanding your own experience of meditation and explaining it to others rather than trying different instructions. Just pick any instruction and try to understand your own experience and explain it to others. I think you would be bound to go forward if you did that? Like an honest experience of your meditation experience I think others can connect to that and relate.

Yesterday evening I tried to sit with the idea that I will try to observe, so that then I can tell here in this thread regarding what happened in my meditation. Well, honestly nothing happened which was worth mentioning, but still just to tell - I sat and then took a long deep breath. Then I thought to just being and not to even try to observe anything. The posture was half-lotus with the whole posture of zazen, with the only difference of hand palms position as = instead of <>. Then I noticed that the areas near my eyes was slightly tensed and then I relaxed it. Then I sat and there were external sounds going on. I noticed that there was a constant feeling of trying to just being, instead of just being. At least more than 15 times, my mind was entangled in thoughts and after being lost in thoughts for say few minutes, I noticed that I was lost in thoughts. Then I tried to just being again. Also when trying to just being, my body was slightly tensed in order to be attentive. So how to just being, instead of trying to just being? Thanks.

person
  • Yeah that's what I meant. You did sit and you observe and think about your experience. So then you could tell that experience to others and you get a response from them. If you get quite a good response from someone (you think) then maybe ask them to be your teacher. Most of us aren't ready just yet to take on students though myself included! I will say that a lot of times (some high percent) I drift off in day dream thought during my meditations. I will say that I have a consistent every day meditation discipline yet I will say that a lot of it is like you say noticing things and thinking. In my meditation I don't have an idea of 'just being' but I do have an idea of being present.

person
  • Has anyone tried mixing Zazen and Mahamudra?

Meditation smoothies require a lid when mixing.
    Remember you are not meant to drink with the motor running and the blades whirring ...

kando
  • kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

I find meditation on the whole enjoyable and it tends to be a time of clarity in my day, which I value. Is this normal? >:)

federicalobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@misecmisc1 said:
    So how to just being, instead of trying to just being? Thanks.

It sounds like you're on the right track in regards to your meditation, it just takes time and practice. You just let go over and over again until it becomes habit, its a skill or attitude that needs to be cultivated over time, more than a piece of knowledge that someone can give you.

lobster