Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Low Carb High Fat...

14567810»

Comments

• I wouldn't doubt you can gain weight even whole foods diet if you eat enough food. Ah never mind I will make my own discoveries. Too cumbersome to discuss all of this here.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I think too it is important to make one’s own discoveries - to measure, be scientific, observe the behaviour of your own body. Not everybody’s body is the same, our genes and background differ, and so our needs are individual too. But I think LCHF is a good solution for many people who suffer on the standard diet.

Jeffrey
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Jeffrey said:
    @karasti do you remember if they distinguished between what types of carbs make saturated fat worse? And amount of carbs? Glycemic index is how fast a carb goes into sugar in your system. Glycemic load is how much sugar goes in blood. So a carrot and a potato both have a relatively high glycemic index but a carrot is more healthy because it is lower calorie load than potato.

I think it would be interesting to hear from the research if you a given saturated fat consumption what is the effect of no carbohydrates (so in ketone mode) or compare to differnt amounts and types of carbs. I would be surprised if intake of desserts and lots of processed foods (containing all purpose flour which has bran and 'germ' removed) had the same results as intake of whole grains, fruits, legumes, or other 'good carbs'..

You're quite right @Jeffrey; it's as @Tosh said earlier in the thread: It's not simply a question of calories, it's calories plus information. The same can be said of carbohydrates. To make things easier, the starchier and more simple the carbs, the more you give them up! We're talking the high-starch foods such as flours - pasta and bread - and potatoes, rice, and of course, the classic combination of flour and sugar - all those wonderful, addictive treats!

I have found that giving up on the above carb component has made it easier for my body to process other foods. Fats don't make you fat, and they don't make you ill. It's the old adage: Everything in moderation - including moderation!
    For the record, I spiralize my carrots and courgettes (zucchini, to you...). This cuts out the core - where the sugars and starches are stored.
    I eat peas and chickpeas in moderation, but have plenty of seeds like chia and linseed, and of course sunflower and pumpkin seeds too. But of course, I eat them as an addition to a meal, not the central part...

Jeffrey
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@Jeffrey Indeed, you can gain weight on the healthiest diet. In my case, the calories were the exact same, it was only the ratios that changed, so I went from a lower (I wasn't LCHF then, just somewhat lower carb than normal) to higher carb (and thus less fat and protein, but mostly less fat) and gained weight. It was the carb intake that made the difference, even if it was all healthy carbs. In my case, my body just cannot process too many carbs well, even if they are healthy carbs. My metabolism has been a miss since my last pregnancy, which was almost 10 years ago. Interestingly, he is also the diabetic kid.
    I do realize that had I stuck with the vegan diet for more than 6 weeks, it might have balanced out and had a more obvious long-term impact, but weight was having an impact on my ability to do the things I wanted and was part of the reason I busted my knee 5 years ago, so continuing to gain wasn't an option.

I looked through the one book last night but didn't find the study info yet. I have a couple of books by them and am 95% sure it was there that I read it, so I'll look this morning once the kids go to school.

Jeffrey
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I like this guy on YT - he has the kind of recipes we're looking for and a fun and funny personality:

karasti
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2018

I love Oyakodo! (That's a great video, but as he takes pains to point out, probably not as authentic as it should be, and who cares? It looks yummy!)
    For pedantic purists though, just in case you're interested, here's a more.... 'authentic' version.

Do as you wish, enjoy! :)

• Definitely good news @federica

good to know, I hope it goes somewhere. It really is utterly ridiculous what they feed to people in all of our institutions, hospitals, elderly homes, school. Ugh. When Calvin was 2 and in the PICU for his diabetes diagnosis, the first meal they sent up for him once he was able to eat was a huge pork chop, a 2 scoop serving of mashed potatoes and gravy, fake-buttered corn, skim milk, sugared jello, pudding and an apple. not that they are all awful foods, but it even came up with the "diabetic meal" tag on it, and it was like 140 grams of carbs and reduced fat milk and trimmed chop. So it was basically nothing but a whole lot of carb and a bit of protein. So gross. The school is even worse. He takes lunch from home most of the time, but sometimes likes to take hot lunch with his friends (because they separate hot and cold lunch kids in the lunch room so he can't sit with them otherwise) and some of the meals are 120+ grams of carbs. Breakfast is even worse, as it's usually like a poptart and juice. And we always wonder why kids are bouncing off the walls in the afternoon and come home tired, crabby and starving. So much ugh.

Hozan

Good Morning Children, I have an announcement to make:

Just to let you all know I shall be making Tempeh this weekend. I am greatly looking forward to letting you all know how it goes.

Thank you.
    Carry on.

ooh, I shall sit eagerly waiting to hear what you think. I know they are not the same, but tofu does not work for me and the names are too close for me to brave tempeh, lol. I'd like to add some of that stuff in for more variety but I can't get past the legume/bean texture. Oddly, chickpeas/garbanzos don't bother me. But all the rest do!

I have used commercial tempeh before, and loved its solid texture and nutty flavour. Some say you should steam it for 10 minutes before using it in recipes, to remove the mild bitterness. I never have, and I don't actually recall any bitterness at all. But apparently home-made tempeh doesn't have any bitterness, so I shall enjoy testing it out.
    I am also going to make chickpea tempeh, which is lower in protein than soya bean tempeh, but has a lot of other goodness in it. Just to try it out....

karasti
  • Today's creation with no carbs:

1 cup light sour cream
    1 cup whole milk ricotta
    1 cup crumbled feta
    3 tsp dried dill weed

Mix and have on crackers etc.

Not terribly healthy but is pretty tasty.

karasti

No health problems as far as I can see...

For my part, I had three pieces of sweet potato, oven roasted and topped with Philadelphia cream cheese, and 2 small portions of cod loin, lightly sauteed in ghee, for dinner.
    For lunch, I had my home-made tempeh (marinated overnight in yummy sauces) with mozzarella balls and sun-dried tomatoes, and an iceberg lettuce salad. My oh my, life is good.

karasti

Speaking of tempeh, it was a success, but more by luck than judgement. For a first attempt I guess it wasn't bad, but I made some errors, which I shall be sure to not repeat...
    When I make a 2nd batch, I think it will be better.....

I have an instant pot so last week I picked up an ip keto book by an Indian woman named Urvashi pitre. Her recipes are so amazing. She does Indian but also other ethnic foods. I have been feeling for some more complex flavors, and cooking creativity is definitely not my strong suit so I look forward to trying. Tandoori chicken tonight, which is one of the few ethnic things my husband will eat. She has a ton of recipes on her webpage, too, and she is a huge fan of keto so a lot of her stuff is keto or low carb.
    https://twosleevers.com/recipe-index/

Hey, @Jason, you may be interested to know that I have also ordered, on line, a natto fermentation starter... I seem to remember you saying you ate and enjoyed natto...? Well, I'll let you know how it goes as and when I get the stuff... right now, I'm enjoying a lunch of H/M tempeh in a tomato sauce, with konjac rice. I actually like it.... :D

So... I made natto.... it came out of the oven sticky, stringy (but neither particularly excessive) and with a definite tart taste.... but no discernible fragrance... so I put it back into the incubator (my oven, actually) and am still waiting for the process to develop further. But I'm glad to see that it was a resounding success! And my tempeh is delicious, btw! Far better than shop-bought!

karasti

Oh my goodness. It's lush - but I can totally understand how this would be 'an acquired taste' for many. All I can say is, I must have very weird tendencies, because I love it!

Smell? Think 10-day-old roquefort cheese, taken out of the fridge and left on the side for one day... Mmmmm! yes, interesting - !

Taste? Think mild lemon juice with a slight saltiness.... Combined with the cheese...

Remember we get the whole food thing primarily through the nose, which is why the flavour of the cheese comes through, not as a flavour per se, more as a lingering smell on the palate....

At least, that's my experience...

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

This article I felt was easy to understand, so that's why I'm sharing, for those who have trouble understanding the latest on what really causes heart troubles:

https://ideapod.com/world-renowned-heart-surgeon-speaks-really-causes-heart-disease/?utm_source=catalyst&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=fearless

• ToshTosh Veteran

Nice to see this is still going. From November to the end of December we came off low carb and went back to eating, well, anything. The result was that we had both gained weight and didn't feel as good as when we're low carb.

So 2nd Jan, we went low carb and everything went back to normal (I've lost 12 lbs) and feel healthier.

I/we do still eat carbs, prior to a running race, for example. Or when my sugar cravings get the better of me.

We're running a tough fell race up Sugar Loaf mountain on Saturday, so we'll eat carbs on Friday lunchtime, and then we plan to be strictly low carb until our spring marathon at the end of the month, where we'll treat ourselves to a large amount of junk food after the event (and a little just prior).

I have had the same experience, @Tosh. I have a buffer zone where I can eat more carbs and maintain my weight but it doesn't take much for me to start gaining. I still need to lose, so that is where I am right now. It's been really interesting to observe and it's really quite fascinating to me that my body handled my abuse of carbs so well for as long as it did. When it had enough, it had enough! We were out of town for the Easter weekend and I ate more carbs in that weekend than I probably eat in a whole month. It was not worth it for the moment of pleasant taste on my tongue for a few moments, that's for sure.

Today, I made (brace yourselves): natto, white cabbage sauerkraut, Korean Kimchi, spicy belly of pork with glutinous rice (had to make that early, in order to cool it in the fridge and convert it to resistant starch!) as well as a pot of coffee and full English breakfast (minus the toast) in addition to several cups of tea! I bin a busy gal!

JeffreyJeroenkarastilobster

Strictly speaking, I know this isn't exactly "low carb" as the discipline per se would have it, but it is an absolutely delicious power-packed energy milkshake I used to make, and believe me, I had one in the morning and didn't want or need anything to eat until around 4pm.

1/2 pack silk tofu - we're talking 145 - 150g
    1tbsp black molasses
    1 tbsp runny honey
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 banana
    2 - 3 dried prunes
    Equal BY VOLUME of: almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds linseeds (or flax seeds) I would say 1/4 cup...
    1/3 cup good oat flakes
    chia seeds if wanted. I add about 1 tbsp.
    as much milk as required to make the milkshake complete. Any milk you want; rice milk, soya, skimmed, semi-skimmed, coconut, almond.... you decide.

(If you're feeling brave, whisk a raw egg, then pass it gently through a nylon sieve to remove membranes, jelazae, (yuk!!) and add to the shake. Pure protein punch, right there!)

Blend the lot until well combined and thickened to taste. Adjust all ingredients according to likes/requirements. I jest you not, it's absolushly delicious! )

edited May 2018

Breakfast....

Natto, tamagoyaki, sunomono, gohan, with spring onion and kimchi garnish.

Oh, and an Italian caffelatte.....

ToshJeroen
  • ToshTosh Veteran

We're still low carb, but once-a-week I take my elderly dog out for a doughnut, for a treat for him. He loves it. The people who work in the doughnut shop all know him and laugh when he's tethered outside, looking in through the doorway, and he's 'shouting' a high pitched bark of 'hurry up, I want a doughnut'.

But I end up eating two of them myself. And I'll sometimes relapse on chocolate too, which makes me feel dirty.

But overall it's been brilliant for us; I've went from 200 lbs to 175 lbs, and I'm feeling really fit and healthy with lots more energy these days.

Oh my goodness. Salmon parcels, using Spring Roll Rice wrappers. Unbelievably delicious, out of this world.... 1 is a plenty, two are a meal (approx 30g of carbs per rice spring roll wrapper).

1 rice spring roll wrapper per skinned salmon fillet. (fillet: 8cm x 3 cm x 3 cm)
    finely shredded cabbage leaf
    julienned carrot, or shitake mushroom, thinly sliced
    julienned ginger
    spring onion
    fine slice or 2 of chilli pepper
    sesame oil
    soy sauce
    lemon juice.

Season the fillet on both sides with salt and paprika.
    Take a wrapper and dip it into warm water until it just begins to 'relax' and soften. This should take no more than 20 seconds.
    remove, lay on a plate.

Towards one edge of the wrapper, lay a 'bed' of shredded cabbage, the fillet, followed by carrot (or mushroom), ginger, spring onion and chilli slice. Sprinkle with lemon juice, sesame oil, and soy sauce.
    Roll the wrapper and salmon, fold in the sides, and close with the final piece.
    Oil the underside of the 'parcel' and place on a plate covered with a piece of parchment paper (NOT greaseproof paper - it will stick!!) microwave for 3 (medium rare) to 5 (well done) minutes.
    Remove, slice, eat, and enjoy.

Stunningly good.

Well, I bin a bad girl over Christmas (Hands up who hasn't...?!) and of course, indulged a bit in the seasonally-available treat-carbs... So now I'm back on the Carbless wagon and am intent on getting rid of excess baggage.

Being menopausal actually makes it slightly more difficult to shed weight, but I'm not a quitter.
    Who's joining me on a great New Year Carbless challenge?